New bike time....

2»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    New bike or frameset?

Have a look on Canyon's website they're selling 2010 off cheap.

Would prefer a frameset since I don't need wheels, bars or a saddle (well I do, but I've got them already)

£750 for an Ultimate CF looks good, but it's at the small end of what I want I really want to test ride first.
    Ian.B wrote:

It's also chuffing expensive. I'm looking more at £2,500 down than £4,500 down... (emphasis on the down).

Forgot to mention, when I was in Sigma last night a chap came in to look at the R5CA he'd just bought and they were building up for him; wow....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd go with the scott, I loved the ride on it.
  • asprilla

Prior to riding any of them, that's winning. It's the tightest and so should be the nippiest handling of the options available. Coming from an S1 which turns on a sixpence I think that's going to be an important factor.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Asprilla wrote:

Prior to riding any of them, that's winning. It's the tightest and so should be the nippiest handling of the options available. Coming from an S1 which turns on a sixpence I think that's going to be an important factor.

Apparently there is a place in Essex where you might be able to test ride a canyon - saw it mentioned somewhere.
  • asprilla
    Whilst we are at it, does anyone know a cheap audax frame (Ribblesque) that fits the same criteria? I quite fancy shifting the groupset from teh S1 to something else so that best bike can have a rest from time to time, something I can't currently do.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Just spotted this thread.

First, your S1 should be fine over long distances. I did imperial centuries (the only proper kind) on mine and it was fine. If you're getting non-muscular aches, then it's probably more an issue of fit (see three below).

Secondly, if you have a short leg, you should get someone to pull it for you. For a joke. Geddit?!?!?

Ba-boom-tish.

But seriously. Perhaps look at getting an orthotic insole on the short side to even things out?

Thirdly, how tall are you, what's your inseam (measured properly, with a book, up against a wall), what frame size is your S1, what's your BB to saddle surface measure, and what stem (length & rise) are you running? It's fairly unusual to be so far out that your frame can't be made to fit you. I have mixed feelings about Sigma: on the one hand, they are a bike shop, and will look to sell you sh!t, but on the other when they measured me against my bike for a cheapie set up they said it was already spot on. So they are obviously genius-level fitters.

Fourthly: if you really need a new frame, why not an S1 in the right size? Or Cervelo RS?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    edited March 2011
    Must admit that the chap at sigma made absolutely no attempt to sell me anything, he just did the fit and we agreed the the best thing to do was get a reasonable idea of what would fit me and them if I came back with a new bike (from wherever) and he would fit that for no extra charge.

I already have orthotics for running which I wear when cycling but part of the included additional build up in both shoes and a shim under my right cleat.

On the bike itself we finished up with a 120mm stem with a 17 degree lift. Comfortable but handling on the bike was terrible.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inside leg and my flexibility isn't great, mainly because I don't stretch as much as I should.

Also, added the RS to the list.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asprilla wrote:
    Ok, I need an effective top tube between 540 and 550 and a head tube between 150 and 160. Seat angle as close to 73 dgrees as possible.

Current options are:

CR1, Roubaix, CLX 2.0, Defy Advance, Pro Machine and Madone.

Orbea Onix? Looks rather good in white, black and orange....

Top tube = 550
    Head Tube = 152
    Seat angle = 73.2 degrees

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/new-onix-geom.jpg
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Orbea_Onix.html

I only know because you need a slightly longer top tube than me and the Orbea was slightly too long for me :lol:

Look 566 a bit short but not far off and interesting!

Top tube = 542
    Head Tube = 164
    Seat angle = 73.7degrees
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    JZed wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Apparently there is a place in Essex where you might be able to test ride a canyon - saw it mentioned somewhere.

Yes you can it is in Hanault.

Number is on the Canyon website if you switch to UK location.

£750 is a real steal.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Must admit that the chap at sigma made absolutely no attempt to sell me anything, he just did the fit and we agreed the the best thing to do was get a reasonable idea of what would fit me and them if I came back with a new bike (from wherever) and he would fit that for no extra charge.

I already have orthotics for running which I wear when cycling but part of the included additional build up in both shoes and a shim under my right cleat.

On the bike itself we finished up with a 120mm stem with a 17 degree lift. Comfortable but handling on the bike was terrible.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inside leg and my flexibility isn't great, mainly because I don't stretch as much as I should.

Also, added the RS to the list.

So what frame size are you running? 51cm? About 71cm BB to saddle surface?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    A 51 with a saddle height of 75.7cm, that leads to a big drop.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • YGPM

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A