New bike time....

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I love my S1. So much so that I've named her Lee after Maggie Gyllenhaal's character in the film Secretary who loves a good thrashing. Being back on Embankment last night and charging past everyone in sight (only to be caught repeatedly thanks to my failing filtering skills) reminded me of what a great bike it is.

However, I'm starting to do longer rides and although the geometry and double crankset is great for 20 odd miles flat sprints like commuting and triathlons, but I think that attempting the Dragon Ride (or any other 100 miles plus sportives in the future) is going to be a pain in the bum, knees and lower back.

So, I'm looking for another bike to sit alongside Lee, something of a Sunday Best for longer, hillier rides. Missed out on a Kuota Kom on ebay last night (gutted, but it went for £100 more than I was willing to pay).

So, what candidates should I be looking to test ride? I'm thinking of a top tube of around 540mm and ahead tube of between 145mm and 165mm which means my list currently looks like:

Cannondale Synapse 54
Spesh Roubaix 54
Giant defy Advance 54
Scott Cr1 54
Trek Madone 5 54
Kuota Kom M (like another one of those is going to come up!)

Anthing anyone else can suggest, I'm open to exotic and the mundane.

Cheers.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have you tried doing some longer rides on it to check whether if the S1 will be up to the task or not?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Save the cash and spent it on a few yoga classes to improve flexibility and core strength

If you're core is flexible and strong enoguh there should be no need for a more 'relaxed' position.

Unless you just want an excuse for another bike of course...

I'd suggest the recent innovation and differentiation for bikes made for 'longer rides' is as much as bicycle manufacturers screaming for some more product differentiation within the road bike range as having actually any genuine value.
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Have you tried doing some longer rides on it to check whether if the S1 will be up to the task or not?

I occasionally go out and do longer rides and I've arranged a 50-60 miles ride out in the Surrey hills next weekend, so that's going to be the big test.

Also, I might just want to be buying a new shiney thing
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Viner Gladium, the replacement for my Magnifica. Medium frame would be bang on for your specs- 547mm virtual top tube (compact frame), 145mm head tube. I have no doubt it'll ride much like the Magnifica- stiff enough but comfy with it. 100 mile plus days not a problem. Might be out of your budget though- £1550 for the framset.

Rick & CJ both make good points though- if you can adapt the S1 a bit and/or work on your flexibility etc, that might do the trick. A compact chainset, 25mm tyres and some gel tape on the bars would be a bit cheaper than a new bike!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I occasionally go out and do longer rides and I've arranged a 50-60 miles ride out in the Surrey hills next weekend, so that's going to be the big test.

Also, I might just want to be buying a new shiney thing

Buy a compact and do what Rick says.

My CR1 Pro (the old CR1, not the new, supposedly sportive-specific model) is as stiff as you like, but it's fine for long rides, sportives and cobbles.

I realise that this may not be the answer you're looking for. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I think your looking for an excuse ;)

If your truely an Emanbkment monster a double won't be an issue in the hills..
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    Stick with the S1!

I've trained for and raced ironman lanzarote on mine as well as the tour of Flanders spotive and both of these involved all day 150km+ rides.

Just run slightly lower pressures, less stiff wheels and play with saddle position (I use 2 saddles with the seat post head in different directions)
  • rick_chasey
    Also...

If you get a little stronger in that position, you'll be able to hold a faster position for longer.

Result...!

For what it's worth, i'm deliberately eeking my stem milimetre by milimetre lower, to get a better position.

I now feel fcuking cool cruising with my nose at the same height as my balls.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Must agree the S1 is probably fine for the job, I've ridden the Etape on a pretty much bog standard alu frame, as well as Fred Whitton, Dragon Ride and plenty of others, unless you have specific flexibility issues then I'm not convinced "sportive" geometry is necessary.

If you just want a new bike for "Sunday best" then surely the racier the better - the lower the front end the better in my book! :)

@ StuAff, Gladium?! They need to get a bit more imaginative with the names, they've already done Gladius!
  • cjcp

I now feel fcuking cool cruising with my nose at the same height as my balls.

:lol: I've never looked it that way, but now you mention it...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    [Tim] wrote:
    Stick with the S1!

I've trained for and raced ironman lanzarote on mine as well as the tour of Flanders spotive and both of these involved all day 150km+ rides.

Just run slightly lower pressures, less stiff wheels and play with saddle position (I use 2 saddles with the seat post head in different directions)

How do you have 2 arses?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    One of the issues I have is that I do have some flexability problems; one of my legs is slightly shorter than the other which causes a rotation of my pelvis, which in turn leads to a double scoleosis (my spine is S shaped; right then left when viewed from the back).

I have to point out that unless you were a physio / osteo then you wouldn'd know to look at me; I'm not, regardless of what some of my good friends would say, a grotesque hunchback with a built up shoe.

Core training and yoga isn't going to solve these issues. However, some changes to my biomechanics might make some difference to my back and I may well be seeing a change in about 2 months, so I'm not in a rush for a new bike, I'm just thinking about the models I should be looking at.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Honestly, I'd concentrate less on the models and more on the biomechanics - so be careful where you buy from. I found Sigma's fitting service to be pretty comprehensive, but there are plenty of shops in SW London/Surrey that should be able to get you properly sorted.

Also - New Bike! :D:D
  • asprilla
    How long does the fitting take and how much does it cost (also do they discount it from the cost of a bike should you buy one form them)?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    How long does the fitting take and how much does it cost (also do they discount it from the cost of a bike should you buy one form them)?

No idea. Give them a call, but allow a full day - they have a new shop - it's the eigth wonder of the modern world. All they need now is a creche.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

No idea. Give them a call, but allow a full day - they have a new shop - it's the eigth wonder of the modern world. All they need now is a creche.

Oh, I need to deliver a truck load of brownie points then AND I don't have a full free day until the middle of April!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Oh, I need to deliver a truck load of brownie points then AND I don't have a full free day until the middle of April!

Sorry, I was being a bit silly. It was more a reference to the need to allow for "browsing time" in their new store.

Otherwise, there's the Bike Whisperer in Ealing - I think they do a four-hour session, but they do offer weekday evening fittings.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

A new shop, you say? I hadn't realised. Must visit.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    One of the issues I have is that I do have some flexability problems; one of my legs is slightly shorter than the other

Does that mean you walk round in circles?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    One of the issues I have is that I do have some flexability problems; one of my legs is slightly shorter than the other

Does that mean you walk round in circles?

Doesn't everyone anyway...
  • rick_chasey
    Indeed. I have a much tighter right hamstring than left after I got pushed off my bike...

My right cleat is further forward too.

It just takes a little fiddling with position and a little patience and tolerance of lower back fatigue to get used to a position.
  • asprilla
    Pretty much everyone has one leg longer than the other, that's why people lost in the desert end up walking in circles.

Just mine is a fraction more different than normal.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    edited March 2011
    Right, spent a couple of hours at Sigma last night getting fitted and it turns out that my bike can't really be made to fit me, it's just too small.

Also, I'm not really bendy enough. Some changes were made and they have made a big difference, but it's not enough.

So, back to the beginning of the thread

New Bike Time!

Ok, I need an effective top tube between 540 and 550 and a head tube between 150 and 160. Seat angle as close to 73 dgrees as possible.

Current options are:

CR1, Roubaix, CLX 2.0, Defy Advance, Pro Machine and Madone.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    I am currently going through a similar process to you - its so much fun testing new bikes :D

you might want to take a look at the Tarmac, the geometry is fairly similar to the roubaix - I thrashed one round RP on sunday and it was fairly comfortable. I won't be buying though, too much money for not enough bike.

If you want to test ride a CR1, bikelab in richmond had them in stock a couple of weeks ago, they seemed like decent chaps as well.
  • asprilla
    fidbod wrote:
    Iyou might want to take a look at the Tarmac, the geometry is fairly similar to the roubaix - I thrashed one round RP on sunday and it was fairly comfortable.

Head tube is too short for me, unfortunately.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Asprilla wrote:
    fidbod wrote:
    Iyou might want to take a look at the Tarmac, the geometry is fairly similar to the roubaix - I thrashed one round RP on sunday and it was fairly comfortable.

Canyon CF SLX - 56cm

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2117
  • asprilla
    JZed wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    fidbod wrote:

Canyon CF SLX - 56cm

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2117

56 is too big on the top tube, although the 54 is an option.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    New bike or frameset?

Have a look on Canyon's website they're selling 2010 off cheap.