I'm having a baby

2»

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Congratulations.
    My little one is 4 weeks old and the best advice I can give you is to be prepared for your priorities to completely and utterly change. I'm a triathlete and since the baby was born I've done only 4 training sessions but I don't regret it one bit. I would much rather spend a couple of hours with her than go out for a ride.
  • +1 to what Mr_Cellophane said - buy all your gear now (not just bike stuff either). Once baby has arrived, unless you are already rich, there is no money for fripperies like carbon pedals.

If you have anything you have been meaning to stop, like smoking, excessive drinking, use this time to do it like you mean it.

Conversely, if you always wanted to climb the Himalayas, do it now or be prepared to wait twenty years for another shot.

Be nice to your girlfriend. One way or another, your lives will be bound together forever. And ever. And ever.

Enjoy the ride!
  • Just found out my girlfriend's pregnant. At the age of 22 I'm about to become a father.

To say my emotions are mixed is an understatement. So I just thought I'd ask, what one piece advice can you give me?

Congratulations I'm a new dad myself - My advice would be as follows

1) You were there at the conception be there at the birth
    2) Throw away the books, all babies are different just wing it, it's a lot less stress that way
    3) Enjoy it

Seriously though, being a Dad is the best thing in the world it's like you've found the meaning of life kick back and enjoy it it's cracking.

Edit: and when you get told for the 15,674th time that you wount be able to do "x" when baby is here or there'll be none of "y" when baby is here punch them really hard in the face. People gob off like these things are something you've never considered, that really got my goat. That's my only regret about pregnancy I didn't punch enough colleagues :lol:
  • Congratulations I'm 42 with a 21 year old eldest son.

I'm still with his mum, I've never had a penny to my name, I missed out on lots when he was born & little whilst mates were off travelling or on weekend benders but wouldn't swap him, her or my other kids for all the money and waking up still drunk in Barcelona in the world.

my best advice is ignore all the advice and do what works for you.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Oh, I should have said in my earlier post that both my partner and I cycle, she being particularly good and we now take it in turns at weekend and my g/f also goes to the velodrome as she can maximise her time there. We are just about to get a bike seat for the baby so we can all go out together. Would I like to be in Majorca/Alps/Pyrenees tearing it up together? Yes but cycling is a hobby not my living so we adapt as neccessary but I'm already thinking about how good a kiddieback tandem will be :)
    M.Rushton
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    + 1 to Pokerface, don't get married if you don't want too. You're doomed to failure if you do.

Congratulations to you and your girlfriend, enjoy every minute of it, even the 3am starts, the vomiting, the crying.

Hell, it all starts again when they hit 18 :wink:

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • take it as a blessing, me and the wife have been trying for a child for over a year now and we'd be over the moon if she fell pregnant so really do think of this as a bonus in your life

all the best
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Marry her. A child should grow up in a stable family........

+2 or more

I met my wife 27 years ago, after 4 months she fell pregnant, 3 months later we were married and are just coming up to our 26th Wedding Anniversary next week through thick and thin we have fought our adversaries as a team, it is never easy but has been very rewarding.

If you love her and can envisage life forever with her then do the decent thing, marry her!
    Yes it`s hard work but the best things in life don`t come easy.Just wait until you hold your own child for the first time.No bike or car can make you feel this way.I remember every second of my daughters birth and every tear of joy that rolled down my face.Those hours that past in labour formed a bond between me and my wife that i never thought possible.
  • congratulations :D
    All i will say is roll with it, some days will be good some will bad, but on the whole they will be amazing.
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • Congratulations.

Being a parent is THE HARDEST JOB you'll ever do and it's for life. It's also the most satisfying one if you get it right.

My advice FWIW is teach them right from wrong and instil a good work ethic. Good manners and respect for others (do as you would be done by). Enjoy nurturing them and have fun, make the most of their formative years especially, as they grow up and become adults all too quickly.

Some of this is easier said than done as earning a living often gets in the way. Stick at the cycling but I'm affraid junior must/will be No1 priority once he/she arrives. It will make you view things differently for sure.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Make the most of it.
    Don't sell your bike !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mrushton
    take it as a blessing, me and the wife have been trying for a child for over a year now and we'd be over the moon if she fell pregnant so really do think of this as a bonus in your life

all the best

Took us about a year and apparently the gluwein and hog roast consumed by my g/f at the Christmas market did the trick :!:
    M.Rushton
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    The more you put in, the more you get out. I worship my Son. He's the missing link.

Good luck and be there for each other.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Congratulations.

Being a parent is THE HARDEST JOB you'll ever do and it's for life. It's also the most satisfying one if you get it right.

My advice FWIW is teach them right from wrong and instil a good work ethic. Good manners and respect for others (do as you would be done by). Enjoy nurturing them and have fun, make the most of their formative years especially, as they grow up and become adults all too quickly.

Some of this is easier said than done as earning a living often gets in the way. Stick at the cycling but I'm affraid junior must/will be No1 priority once he/she arrives. It will make you view things differently for sure.

Wise words.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You will still be able to buy Assoss shorts though, in size xxxs.

:lol:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Thanks for the advice guys, it does mean a lot.

All I have to do now is implement them all ;) I'll keep you updated, we've got the first scan next Thursday
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Thanks for the advice guys, it does mean a lot.

All I have to do now is implement them all ;) I'll keep you updated, we've got the first scan next Thursday

You'll be scanning scan pics then!!

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk

Congratulations - I am 40, have a son who is just over 4 years and a daughter who is 8 months (currently asleep in high chair after tea and a bit of a scream until she fell asleep). They are the best things in my life (before my bike and wife of course!).

Be a true father to the child and not its best friend....enjoy when its young before it grows up (which is all too quickly). Oh, and support the mother during the birth won't you, just be sure to take a bike mag to read during labour.

And don't give up cycling.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn

Congratulations - I am 40, have a son who is just over 4 years and a daughter who is 8 months (currently asleep in high chair after tea and a bit of a scream until she fell asleep). They are the best things in my life (before my bike and wife of course!).

Be a true father to the child and not its best friend....enjoy when its young before it grows up (which is all too quickly). Oh, and support the mother during the birth won't you, just be sure to take a bike mag to read during labour.

And don't give up cycling.

Don't worry, I'll be teaching the little'un as soon it they can walk.

Tour de France champion 2032
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    There's some great advice here, but I'd like to add that children needn't cost the earth.

We've spent a total of £17 on clothes so far for our two children, (not including nappies and shoes). When they're born you tend to get given lots of newborn baby clothes (because they're cute) but they soon outgrow these. So, we swap them at a childrens clothes exchange at the local Sure-Start centre, and keep swapping them as they grow :D

Most of the clothes are hardly worn and some are even brand new with the tags on.

We've also borrowed clothes from other parents with older children, most of whom we met through the ante natal classes. Incidentally, it is well worth attending these classes, not necesarily for what you learn, but for the parents that you can make friends with.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • mrushton
    New clothes? Primark/Asda/TK all cheap but get free ones from people whose children are a few months ahead. Sales in eg Debenhams are good and market stalls are good. One on Todmorden market has Mothercare and other famous names marked down to a fraction of what they were in season
    M.Rushton
  • Had a scan today, got a pic and seen the heartbeat and everything. I'm really looking forward to this, it's all becoming more real by the second
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    antlaff wrote:
    Bollocks to all the negatives - children are a joy - i'm on my 8th and still get about 5000miles a year in on the bike - actually going to Enigma next month to get my new and last baby!!

dont be forced into a relationship just because of the baby - I'm sure he/she would be rather loved and cared for by 2 caring and friendly adults than 2 bickering parents.

ENJOY IT

5000 miles and 8 children!

Are you certain theyre yours..................................

(i know theyre really your bikes)
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    hey high road it might give you a more mature perspective at least......
  • Had a scan today, got a pic and seen the heartbeat and everything. I'm really looking forward to this, it's all becoming more real by the second

Thta's excellent news :lol: My boring advice would be to try and get as much as possible organised before the birth :roll: Above all keep riding, but also compromise by giving your partner time and space for the things she would like to do.