Armstrong retires

Comments

• Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Why all the hate?
  • Valy wrote:
    Why all the hate?

It is just a sad, disgruntled minority, who are jealous of his success.
    The rest of us like Iain. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Valy wrote:
    Why all the hate?

because I'm incredulous at some of you.
  • Valy
    Fair enough, just all the negative comments made me WTF in my duration on this forum! :p

The rest of us like Iain.

I.. .errr... don't get it.
    :oops:
  • dave_1
    Valy wrote:
    Why all the hate?

It is just a sad, disgruntled minority, who are jealous of his success.
    The rest of us like Iain. :wink:

On this polemic, I am in the minority...you aren't.
  • Valy
    I am unsubscribing... NAAAAAAAAAOOOO!!111 :lol:
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I am surprised at you here Iain ,i would have thought a man with your usual detailed knowledge would have known that basic fact.

It's always good to surprise people :wink: But unlike BikingBernie (RIP) I don't have a creepy file of evidence to refer to all the time.

I have been away for a while - so what did happen to BB? Off topic, I know (well sort of - mention BB and Armstrong will be close by).
    Mens agitat molem
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I am surprised at you here Iain ,i would have thought a man with your usual detailed knowledge would have known that basic fact.

It's always good to surprise people :wink: But unlike BikingBernie (RIP) I don't have a creepy file of evidence to refer to all the time.
    You've been an absolute zealot over the past 18 months Iain. Your sympathetic comments re tylerh are what I remember from 2004
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Let me get this straight... LA has 'retired'? So, does that mean he was 'racing' last year? Sheeeeesh, who'd've guessed it?

Oh well.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Let me get this straight... LA has 'retired'? So, does that mean he was 'racing' last year? Sheeeeesh, who'd've guessed it?

Oh well.
    Well I thought he had retired in July 1996 when he ripped his number off for the broom wagon and then rode off (well actually limped along like a drowned rat) and back along the way the Tour de France had come.

What returned a couple of years later, I still do not know but I'm lead to believe it was the same man who had been saved from Deaths Door and was now the healthiest & fittest (Summer Only) man on two wheels.
    Nah, I've never been able to get my head around the guy I watched before he retired.
    That he could now Time Trial ? and ? climb mountains with the best riders. Impossible

If it was allegedly the same man, then he was able to do (repligate) the feat of that other 2nd level rider Mr Bjarne Riis and "Bore Us To Tears" for seven years but only in July,

What was the technique : To have a very strong team for him to wheel suck until the last km's of a stage.
    The term I heard so often was "An armchair ride"

Seven years of the same Bull Sh*t to just collect the biggest prize in cycle racing and he certainly made the name famous but oh so boring.

I am still waiting, so come out the real Lance Armstrong as we would like to see how that Cancer has affected you.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Thankyou Ms Tree. Purrfectly put, if I may say so- "Somewhere down in Texas" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FTN2bjTq0

Let's hope the bluddy well stays there this time.

(PS Is your library safe?)
  • Well, goodbye.

Next.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yep cheerio Lance and thanks for the inspiration and the great memories.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    deejay wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Oh well.
    Well I thought he had retired in July 1996 when he ripped his number off for the broom wagon and then rode off (well actually limped along like a drowned rat) and back along the way the Tour de France had come.

What returned a couple of years later, I still do not know but I'm lead to believe it was the same man who had been saved from Deaths Door and was now the healthiest & fittest (Summer Only) man on two wheels.
    Nah, I've never been able to get my head around the guy I watched before he retired.
    That he could now Time Trial ? and ? climb mountains with the best riders. Impossible

If it was allegedly the same man, then he was able to do (repligate) the feat of that other 2nd level rider Mr Bjarne Riis and "Bore Us To Tears" for seven years but only in July,

What was the technique : To have a very strong team for him to wheel suck until the last km's of a stage.

Seven years of the same Bull Sh*t to just collect the biggest prize in cycle racing and he certainly made the name famous but oh so boring.

I am still waiting, so come out the real Lance Armstrong as we would like to see how that Cancer has affected you.

So you're saying he never had cancer ?

Blimey, there are some very odd people on this forum
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    deejay wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Oh well.

Mate, seriously...have you actually watched any of his Tour wins?

Consistantly good, if not brilliant in the mountains, plus a dominant force in the TT's.

Wheel sucker...my ar*e
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    sampras38 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Oh well.

Consistantly good, if not brilliant in the mountains, plus a dominant force in the TT's.

Wheel sucker...my ar*e
    I'm not sure that either facts or logic are going to make any difference here... :roll:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    bompington wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Oh well.

Wheel sucker...my ar*e
    I'm not sure that either facts or logic are going to make any difference here... :roll:

I thought the same as I was typing.
  • deejay
    Yes I was a regular at the Tour de France.
    I've been in the Parc de Princes track (and elsewhere) to hear the Anquetil chant as the peloton arrived.
    I've been there to see the other greats since and also seen Barry Hoban win a stage. (also Van Looy & Simpson at Flanders)

In 2002 I saw the hoards were suddenly up on the mountain around me and now they spoke English or they wore Pink.
    That was the year I gave up the Tour de France in disgust (he had ruined it for me, it being so false) and then started being a regular at the Dauphine + Tour de Switzerland fortnight (to watch him suffer perhaps) :lol: .

FACTS are there and he did retire from the TDF in 1996 as a second level cycle race rider and then return in 1999 to do exactly the same as Bjarne Riis had done in 1996.
    Is that the FACT you don't like, well it happens to be true, so true that you bums don't like the FACTS.
    Fact is he returned with something he could never do before his cancer and if you were born 1980 onwards (ie aged 16 as he left & 19 on his return) then all you can get excited about is a fraud that you have nothing to compare with. :(:(
    You guys (born in 1980) are 30 now and still just as gullible regarding the fraud.
    The same applies to the older people that came in, on the Texans coat tails. :roll:

To put my thoughts into prospective then how would "you" feel if Alessandro Ballan did suddenly shoot up a mountain and leave the rest, to go on to win the Tour de France. ??

Well that's what the Texan did and all the Italian has to do now is find the right concoction or have chemo and a ball removed (or both) it seems.
    Exactly the same level of rider and you would also say Impossible no doubt.

Why pick on him. - Well he won a World Championship in much the same way the Texan did. (but at least he hasn't changed from being an attacking rider and still commands RESPECT)
  • That's some fancy bold letters and capitalization you got going there mister ...

It did make it read like you were saying it though ... like an argumentative cult (where all the followers can't spell) ...

i mentioned this yesterday ... get over it and yourselves ... give it up ... unless he shagged your wife or daughter (or both ... and hey at least he couldn't get them pregnant ... oh, wait ...)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    deejay wrote:
    I've been in the Parc de Princes track (and elsewhere) to hear the Anquetil chant as the peloton arrived.
    I've been there to see the other greats since and also seen Barry Hoban win a stage. (also Van Looy & Simpson at Flanders)

In 2002 I saw the hoards were suddenly up on the mountain around me and now they spoke English or they wore Pink.
    That was the year I gave up the Tour de France in disgust (he had ruined it for me, it being so false) and then started being a regular at the Dauphine + Tour de Switzerland fortnight (to watch him suffer perhaps) :lol: .

FACTS are there and he did retire from the TDF in 1996 as a second level cycle race rider and then return in 1999 to do exactly the same as Bjarne Riis had done in 1996.
    Is that the FACT you don't like, well it happens to be true, so true that you bums don't like the FACTS.
    Fact is he returned with something he could never do before his cancer and if you were born 1980 onwards (ie aged 16 as he left & 19 on his return) then all you can get excited about is a fraud that you have nothing to compare with. :(:(
    You guys (born in 1980) are 30 now and still just as gullible regarding the fraud.
    The same applies to the older people that came in, on the Texans coat tails. :roll:

To put my thoughts into prospective then how would "you" feel if Alessandro Ballan did suddenly shoot up a mountain and leave the rest, to go on to win the Tour de France. ??

Well that's what the Texan did and all the Italian has to do now is find the right concoction or have chemo and a ball removed (or both) it seems.

Why pick on him. - Well he won a World Championship in much the same way the Texan did. (but at least he hasn't changed from being an attacking rider and still commands RESPECT)

Wow, you sure seem whacked out and full of yourself. :roll: :roll:
  • deejay
    No, it's just I've been around and riding a few years and when some child tells me I havn't seen the TDF during 1999 - 2005 period.
    I decided to lay out the table and quote a few things I "have seen".

I take your comment to mean you are one of the "Coats Tails" mob and have no answer to the Facts I quoted. :wink:

Don't have to talk about PED's (I leave that to you) but the FACTS speak for themselves and the comparison with the Texan and Alessandro Ballan will do nicely to make you newbies understand the point.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    deejay wrote:
    No, it's just I've been around and riding a few years and when some child tells me I havn't seen the TDF during 1999 - 2005 period.

I take your comment to mean you are one of the "Coats Tails" mob and have no answer to the Facts I quoted. :wink:

Just to set you straight, questions need answers, facts don't. And besides almost anyone can get the answers, it's the questions that really matter in this world. I think some people mistake knowing answers as being smart. That's the easy part.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    deejay wrote:

How exactly is he different to every other top-10 GT rider of his time?

(Or today's for that matter - judging by recent events!?)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2011/armstrong-sca-deposition-videos

...not that there's a lot in it but dont know if anyone had posted these courtroom vids of our mate in the SCA case
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Can somebody please break the forum again please :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    calvjones wrote:
    Can somebody please break the forum again please :roll:

dont think its working 100% anyway, this thread wasnt wasnt shown at top after you posted.. :lol:
  • I seem to swing both ways when it comes to LA...

I liked his brashness in the mid 90's.
    I worried for him during his cancer.
    I marvelled at his comeback.
    I got bored of him winning the Tour and intimidating other riders.
    I mellowed as he retired.
    I was intrigued at his comeback.
    I enjoyed his battling ride in the Tour last summer.
    I wont neccessarily miss him that much.
  • deejay
    dennisn wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Just to set you straight, questions need answers, facts don't. And besides almost anyone can get the answers, it's the questions that really matter in this world. I think some people mistake knowing answers as being smart. That's the easy part.
    Wow, you seem to have all the answers throughout your time on this forum.

Facts are the answers to anybody like you that cannot accept them and want to arrange answers to suit themselves.
    Eye witness reports are much better than hearsay reports found in books.

(You have to be in it to win it) sorry wrong quote but, you have to be there to witness it.
    I think that's how the Courts of Law operate when it comes to hearsay evidence.
    As always, I could be wrong. (I'm no Texan)
  • deejay
    Pokerface wrote:

How exactly is he different to every other top-10 GT rider of his time?

And you don't know that Answer, well, well :roll:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Dennis the 'facts' will probably be revealed when various samples are handed over by AFLD to the Feds for retro-spective analysis. What will your response be when the facts are hard evidence? There's also significant conjecture that a number of ex-team members have provided plenty more to the Grand Jury - but hey, lets not let the 'truth' get in the way of myth, pr-puff and fantasy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..