Why wasn't Bradley Wiggins knighted?

2»

Comments

• zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    I'd say it was because the public possibly perceive Hoy as being more of a talisman...and of course the perception is that track is whiter than white compared to the road re: PEDs.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Pross wrote:
    Karl2010 wrote:
    hotoph88 wrote:
    We had the World number 1 road rider, winner of the World Cup and winner of undoubtedly the most high profile race on the women's scene - the Giro in the fastest ever average speed and youngest ever winner and she was just ignored. Eventually team GB got some other girls around her and in 2008 she did what no-one else, male or female has ever been able to do.

Probaly a stupid question but are you talking about Vicky Pendleton?

Dont know anything about this and im interested to know more.
    Has she got a book out?

No he's talking about Nicole Cooke although she is famous for being difficult to work with so it wasn't so much that Team GB finally got around to supporting her in 2008 as someone had a few words with her and finally got her to realise that she had to work with them rather than her dictating everything.

To be fair to Cooke she'd already been on the podium three times at the Worlds prior to 2008 with much weaker teams in support. Think the "Team GB support" as part of her winning Olympic and Worlds in 2008 has been overplayed, mostly by Team GB.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    andyp wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    For me the question is why not?

For me the question is: Who really cares?

Afterall, the POMS hand out Knighthoods, OBE, MBE in a like manner to the lady who continually tries to get me to try some new type of cheese at the supermarket.

My fav: the WHOLE English team receiving MBEs for winning the Ashes back in 2005. What, didn't Paul Collingwood only score 12 runs to get his??

I guess they hand that crap out to make the Royal Family still seem relevant and needed by society. Like, Whatever.

Thats a nice attitude. Seems you are still a bit bitter over the Ashes, Sir Chris deserved his medals and consequent Knighthood and slinging out racist slurs makes you sound really balanced with a chip on both shoulders. :P

Racist slurs? Are you for real?

Nope, note the little razz smiley at the end of my post, toungue firmly in cheek when posted. :D
  • Bradley Wiggins and Mark Lawrenson make this weekend's Football predictions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 412535.stm

Wiggins is the guest celebrity picker they have each weekend if no one else mentioned this.

Wiggins predicts Liverpool 6 MUFC 0, guess we know where he hails from! :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bradley Wiggins and Mark Lawrenson make this weekend's Football predictions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 412535.stm

Wiggins is the guest celebrity picker they have each weekend if no one else mentioned this.

Didn't he once say that he needed to be 'at Manchester United rather than Wigan? And he predicts Man U to lose 6-0. :) .

(I always thought he was an Arsenal fan, but it turns out it's Liverpool).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95: Cheers, I just was adding in that odd prediction. I hadn't gone through them myself too thoroughly.

I'm picking Liverpool/Man Utd. to be a draw like ML, but who knows....Wigan that team looks destined for the drop. A lot of good games. I say Arsenal 2 Sunderland 1