Why wasn't Bradley Wiggins knighted?

Karl2010
Karl2010 Posts: 511
edited March 2011 in Pro race
No disrespect to Sir Chris Hoy but why did he receive a knighthood?

Is it something to do with the ammount of medals?

Why hasnt Wiggo been knighted?

The thing that got me thinking was:
"Why is has Chris Hoy been knighted and Bradley Wiggins not been?"

--
EDIT: Changed the thread title as this is what i ment to ask originaly.
The original title seemed a little disrespectful and that wasn't my intention.
"why was Chris knighted and Bard not.?"

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,683
    3 Golds in one games is pretty special - especially when it's nothing to do with swimming.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Killed a dragon didn't he?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd like to see Graeme Obree with one too. Surely an inspirational figure.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • 3 Golds in one games is pretty special - especially when it's nothing to do with swimming.

And don't forget the 2 x Rainbow Jersey he won that year
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    All award nominations have to meet certain criteria and pass a 'committee' - by all accounts, Chris is very personable and a great ambassador for sport, not just cycling. The trouble for Brad is that he can be a maverick and is sometimes too 'honest' in sharing his views. An Olympic gold typically gets you an MBE, but you have do something special to warrant a Knighthood e.g. Steve Redgrave, Kelly Holmes and usually means a contribution beyond your sporting endeavours.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 'cos he's got monster thighs and the queen wanted to see them up close.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    For me the question is why not?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Services to bran-based cereals? Don't see why he shouldn't be knighted to be honest.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    dulldave wrote:
    Services to bran-based cereals? Don't see why he shouldn't be knighted to be honest.

+1.

As far as I know, he made no contributions to the Labour party, so why the award?

Seriously. People who, in the last 50 years, have won four Olympics gold medals:

Sir Steven Redgrave
    Sir Matthew Pinsent
    Sir Christopher Hoy

If Wiggins or Ben Ainslie win another gold, then tap 'em on the shoulder with a sword.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deserves it more than SAF imo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    deserves it more than SAF imo

But he donated money to the Labour party, of course he deserved it. He's friends with Blair and Campbell.

(The Conservatives are no different btw)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Karl2010
    RichN95 wrote:

Seriously. People who, in the last 50 years, have won four Olympics gold medals:

Sir Steven Redgrave
    Sir Matthew Pinsent
    Sir Christopher Hoy

If Wiggins or Ben Ainslie win another gold, then tap 'em on the shoulder with a sword.

Ah, i thought Wiggo had just as many gold medals.
    I dont have a problem with Chris Hoy being knighted. Good for him! Just wandering why he stood out from Wiggo, who has also had lots of sucsess on the track.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    wicked wrote:

For me the question is: Who really cares?

Afterall, the POMS hand out Knighthoods, OBE, MBE in a like manner to the lady who continually tries to get me to try some new type of cheese at the supermarket.

My fav: the WHOLE English team receiving MBEs for winning the Ashes back in 2005. What, didn't Paul Collingwood only score 12 runs to get his??

I guess they hand that crap out to make the Royal Family still seem relevant and needed by society. Like, Whatever.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Afterall, the POMS hand out Knighthoods, OBE, MBE in a like manner to the lady who continually tries to get me to try some new type of cheese at the supermarket.

My fav: the WHOLE English team receiving MBEs for winning the Ashes back in 2005. What, didn't Paul Collingwood only score 12 runs to get his??

I guess they hand that crap out to make the Royal Family still seem relevant and needed by society. Like, Whatever.

Thats a nice attitude. Seems you are still a bit bitter over the Ashes, Sir Chris deserved his medals and consequent Knighthood and slinging out racist slurs makes you sound really balanced with a chip on both shoulders. :P
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    IMHO it's all a farce sir this dame that. Makes the government (not the royals 'cos it's all political) look trendy and with it and thinks it will get them more votes. Ha ha!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    dmclite wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Thats a nice attitude. Seems you are still a bit bitter over the Ashes, Sir Chris deserved his medals and consequent Knighthood and slinging out racist slurs makes you sound really balanced with a chip on both shoulders. :P

Australians eh :roll:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    dmclite wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Racist slurs? Are you for real?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I agree with the whinging Aussie. I look forward to the day they give the new Downing Street cat an MBE for his services to pest control.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can't stand the whole awards (prescribed respect) thing myself, but if you're gonna have it at least wait till they've retired.

Also, never name anything after someone while they're still alive. Gives me the chills.
    exercise.png
  • SpaceJunk
    dmclite wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Ummm, what's racist about my remark?

In regards to cricket, there's no chips here. I'm not a fan of the current Aussie cricket team, haven't been since Ponting took over. No skin off my nose that the Poms won that series, or 2008 or more recently here in Australia.

I stand by comments - the whole process of handing our knighthoods, MBEs etc, including the annual Queen's honour list here in Australia, is just a publicity stunt to make the church of England and the royal family relevant today.

I am not criticizing Chris Hoy by saying that. It's not like Hoy put in an application requesting knighthood. The fact he had been knighted doesn't make his cycling achievements greater than what they are. Chris Hoy is a brilliant track cyclist with or without the Sir.
  • I have to say the MBEs for the cricket team were outrageous and I vividly remember uttering a number of expletives when I heard the news. Didn't the guy who organised the travel for the bags(ok so he might have booked a couple of hotels as well) get one also ?

Then the whole Chris Hoy bandwagon was grossly over the top. Victoria would have won 3 golds had she been up against the same bunch of competitors in 3 very similar disciplines, just as Chris was. But both of these were shallow pools. We know road is where it is at and particularly when riding clean, it must be one hell of a strain. I take my hat off to Brad. I have my views on the Schlecks and Contador has been much discussed.

I think what stuck in my throat in 2005 was the absolute contrast in treatment. We had the World number 1 road rider, winner of the World Cup and winner of undoubtedly the most high profile race on the women's scene - the Giro in the fastest ever average speed and youngest ever winner and she was just ignored. Eventually team GB got some other girls around her and in 2008 she did what no-one else, male or female has ever been able to do. If some people think that Chris Hoy was the cyclist who deserved a knighthood in 2008 then good luck to them, they probably think Collingwood was a sporting star who deserved his MBE . We can rest assured that Cav will get more than an MBE if he does the double in 2012.

Sadly I think that now they have given Vicki 3 events, it may prove to be too late. 2008 was when it could have happened. I hope I am wrong.
  • Karl2010
    hotoph88 wrote:
    We had the World number 1 road rider, winner of the World Cup and winner of undoubtedly the most high profile race on the women's scene - the Giro in the fastest ever average speed and youngest ever winner and she was just ignored. Eventually team GB got some other girls around her and in 2008 she did what no-one else, male or female has ever been able to do.

Probaly a stupid question but are you talking about Vicky Pendleton?

Dont know anything about this and im interested to know more.
    Has she got a book out?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    is just a publicity stunt to make the church of England and the royal family relevant today..
    Err, Church of England :?: :?
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    bompington wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    is just a publicity stunt to make the church of England and the royal family relevant today..

+1 :?
  • SpaceJunk
    Homer J wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Church of England = Anglican Church which the Queen is the Supreme Governor.

Although it might not actually be the case, in Australia at least, and with my very brief Sunday School lessons as a kid, the Royal Family and the Anglican Church {Church of England} went hand in hand.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Homer J wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Church of England = Anglican Church which the Queen is the Supreme Governor.

Although it might not actually be the case, in Australia at least, and with my very brief Sunday School lessons as a kid, the Royal Family and the Anglican Church {Church of England} went hand in hand.

Can I politely suggest that your sunday school lessons might not be the best guide to the honours system as it is today?

FWIW, the Queen is also Honorary Commodore of the Clube Naval de Lisboa, presumably this invalidates any honours that people might be given in Portugal?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    TheStone wrote:
    Can't stand the whole awards (prescribed respect) thing myself, but if you're gonna have it at least wait till they've retired.

Also, never name anything after someone while they're still alive. Gives me the chills.

Like this road.... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=clapham&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.619467,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Clapham,+Bedford,+Bedford+Borough,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.153701,-0.493526&spn=0.007399,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Which no doubt Paula Radcliffe has to drive along everytime she wants to visit her parents!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    What will be interesting to see is if a British rider ever wins the TdF whether they automatically get a knighthood for it. My guess is that they wouldn't just for that alone, on the basis that road cycling doesn't have a high enough public profile in the UK (unlike the Olympics). Although if some ancient old fart on the awards committee who is old enough to remember Agincourt has a say, you never know... :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Karl2010 wrote:
    hotoph88 wrote:
    We had the World number 1 road rider, winner of the World Cup and winner of undoubtedly the most high profile race on the women's scene - the Giro in the fastest ever average speed and youngest ever winner and she was just ignored. Eventually team GB got some other girls around her and in 2008 she did what no-one else, male or female has ever been able to do.

Probaly a stupid question but are you talking about Vicky Pendleton?

Dont know anything about this and im interested to know more.
    Has she got a book out?

No he's talking about Nicole Cooke although she is famous for being difficult to work with so it wasn't so much that Team GB finally got around to supporting her in 2008 as someone had a few words with her and finally got her to realise that she had to work with them rather than her dictating everything.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm no fan of the awards system, but I have long been puzzled as to why Mark Cavendish was not awarded an OBE for services to cycling after his first Tour de France win.

Even if he retired tomorrow, he deserves to be knighted, but I think that should wait until he actually retires.

And before anyone accuses me of being devoted to Cav (guilty as charged m'lud) I consider that anyone (Australian, Kiwi, Canadian, Jamaican or other Commonwealthian) who wins a stage should be given an OBE.

The Blessed David should be given an MBE for services to anti-doping.

And an MBE isn't enough for the Downing St cat. Rodent control can be a dangerous activity- a KBE would be just reward.