Reasons to Cycle

2»

Comments

• 1. My family only needs 1 car and not 2.

2. I have an hour and a half a day when I'm outside and 'free'

3. I can rummage around in skips and bins to my hearts content.
  • To gloat over motorists stuck in traffic jams :twisted:
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Because I can

This. One day the time will come when I can't. This makes me very sad....

The prospect of not being able to ride fills me with dread. I have long said that I want to die suddenly whilst riding.

There was a thread in Cake Stop a few months ago about an old bloke (~70s/80s) riding a very nice road bike found dead at the side of a road in the middle of nowhere and no signs of an accident. A post mortem concluded he died of natural causes (heart attack or stroke I think) whilst on a solo ride.

Sounds like the perfect way to go to me (not for a few decades yet though).

++1
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    1) - To get fit
    2) - Due to crap local transport, its much quicker (35min as opposed to 1h30m-2hrs)
    3) - Im alive & awake to start work.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    1. Living in London it generally gets me to where I want to go quicker than public transport does.
    2. Makes the commute *way* more fun. A hard ride home after a busy day at work is a great way to release tension. And I feel more refreshed and ready for the day after I've come in on the bike than if I've been stuffed onto a bus/tube.
    3. Lets me eat what I want
    4. I'd rather spend money on stuff for my bikes than public transport.
    5. Riding in the sun, when you're not in a hurry, is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable activities I can think of.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    1. Living in London it generally gets me to where I want to go quicker than public transport does.
    2. Makes the commute *way* more fun. A hard ride home after a busy day at work is a great way to release tension. And I feel more refreshed and ready for the day after I've come in on the bike than if I've been stuffed onto a bus/tube.
    3. Lets me eat and drink what I want
    4. I'd rather spend money on stuff for my bikes than public transport.
    5. Riding in the sun, when you're not in a hurry, is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable activities I can think of.

Although more than three things, that's a good summary. I've added a littled addition though....
  • 1. I am not good at walking :oops:
    2. it's liberating
    3. I like the scenery
  • 1. It's cheaper than car/PT
    2. Better for the environment than car/PT
    3. Keeps the waistline in check
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • Wallace1492 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

(Didn't realise the weather was that bad last night, it was OK generally dry where I was)

It started as very cold rain, turned to driving sleet, and ended up as snow, the roads were rivers then from Bearsden were covered in slush, then snow by time I got home. Possibly the worst conditions I have cycled home in. My sealskinz socks filled with cold water, my (alleged) waterproof gloves soaked though.

I got caught in that cr@p cycling from Drumchapel to the river - south of that, nothing. :evil: Unfortunately by that time the shoes were full of cold water. Mind you, I actually quite like that sort of ride - apart from the cold feet that is :twisted:

As to the 'why'....

1. It keeps me fit and saves knees/back from "exercise" (also limits middle age spread)
    2. I arrive at work buzzing, and don't nod off after lunch. Also feel good in the evening so more user-friendly with the sprogs
    3. It saves me an absolute fortune on fuel :lol:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • I'm pretty sure that unless you live next door to a tube station in London pt will never be faster than a bike.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm pretty sure that unless you live next door to a tube station in London pt will never be faster than a bike.

There are far too many variables to make this consistently correct. Time of day, length of journey, mode of PT, terrain, time of year, weather etc

I know that sometimes I can easily beat a train to central London, but at other times it beats me by a massive margin.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Door to door, my Leytonstone to Borough commute was slightly faster by bike in the rush hour, but there's a ten minute walk from the station either end.

If you lived further out than 7 miles I guess the train could be faster.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Door to door, my Leytonstone to Borough commute was slightly faster by bike in the rush hour, but there's a ten minute walk from the station either end.

If you lived further out than 7 miles I guess the train could be faster.

Is that MBC admitting that s/he may be wrong?!

Mods, make this a sticky!!!!!!!!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!