Why do CRC keep sending us stuff in huge boxes?

Comments

• Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I guess one problem with jiffy bags is they are not very environmentally friendly due to the bonded in bubble wrap.

Granted most people re-use them but they only have a finite life - dictated by how much duct tape the last person used. But boxes can be re-used and/or recycled completely.

The comment about them doing it to force RM to deliver them properly could be valid, as is the possibility that large boxes are less likely to go missing as small packets which may save them money in the long run - as does buying 1 million boxes all the same.

Maybe it does make sense and at the end of the day if you re-use it for something then it has worked out okay.

Oh and +1 on the stacking up boxes to build a wall of them to show how much shiny stuff you have been buying :D
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I was shocked at CRC the other week. I had to send my GoPro 960 back as it had a mark on the lens when it came.

They exchanged it with minimal drama and when it came it was just a shoebox sized cardbox board with the GoPro and no packing.

scary

it was ok though
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I've wondered why this is, I don't order much from CRC but I did get a lockring tool and some power links in their huge boxes the other day, surely it costs them more to send things out in larger boxes? And it was delivered by the usual postie so I don't think it'll be tactical. Other than that it was great, i'll probably order from them again.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Well my kittens seem to like the large boxes :D
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • I got some bottle cage bolts and a couple of tubes in a large box. I wonder what they'll do if I just get something tiny, like some more bolts? Surely a normal envelope would do?
  • I got some Lockon Alloy end caps in a large shoe box from CR

The wife was very intrested lol :shock:
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I thought they had shipped me the wrong item when I saw the size of the box, the std (by the sounds of it) telephone directory size box...

for...

a lizard skin shock cover.

they are handy / strong boxes though :D
  • chojin
    chojin Posts: 67
    Bought a cassette removal socket t'other day, and they've sent it in a huge box.

I mean what the hell?!
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Got a bit of a shock today - ordered a new carbon bar and a pair of matchmakers and OMG - they turned up in a box the size of the bar! So not everything comes out in stupid size boxes :lol:
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The A4-sized boxes they're using are clever, they can be built almost flat or about 5 inches deep, so that'll cut their stock levels right down. The boxes will be easy to load and tip as well, very stackable. As for wasteful, it's recycled cardboard and can go back in the recycling, unlike jiffy bags which are mixed material and mostly go to landfill. So it's not that simple really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Those CRC boxes are nothing compared to the monstrosity delivered this morning. This 550mm x 350mm box plus half a kilometer of brown paper contained a new mount for my garmin gps total weight about 50 grams :lol:
    [img][/img]5450965666_818a2d24c4.jpg
    P1010531
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ^^ lol

i got a CRC pedals coming soon, their site said "our postage parcells useally fit though letter boxs so dont need signed for delivery"

i dread to see the box i get for the pedals... :shock:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    ^^ lol

i got a CRC pedals coming soon, their site said "our postage parcells useally fit though letter boxs so dont need signed for delivery"

i dread to see the box i get for the pedals... :shock:

I got a set of the very same pedals just last week and they came in a huge great big box as everyone above has described so dont hold ur breath about them fitting through the letter box unless ur letterbox is the size of a very large catflap.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My favourite was a pair of indicator bulbs from Demon Tweeks (don't laugh, it was a funny size). Arrived in a box 18 inches to a side, with "2 man lift" marked all over it. Inside the box was about a ton of shredded paper, with another smaller cardboard box in the middle, inside which was my indicator bulbs wrapped in bubble wrap...

...and one of them was broken :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    @ Lapierre t 400

ROFL at sig.....if you really are so far south in Kent that you have a ch'tis accent then try these guys

www.probikeshop.fr

Although delivery is not free their prices are often lower than CRC, and so far no big boxes..
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I was very puzzled when I got home from work about a month ago to find a note saying I'd missed a delivery from Royal Mail because it wouldn't fit through my letter box, I'd only ordered 3 powerlinks from CRC so it obviously couldn't be that...

Imagine my suprise when the chap at my sorting office handed me an A4 sized box with the CRC logo on it.
  • @ PXR5 I am from Pas de Calais so quite a broad CH'TI accent,I had heard of Probikeshop fr but they seem so expensive compared to Merlins.I also prefer dealing with English shops

Btw as you are from the Sud do you get Leffe blonde down there?
    I ask as I might be coming down there this summer
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • PXR5
    @ PXR5 I am from Pas de Calais so quite a broad CH'TI accent,I had heard of Probikeshop fr but they seem so expensive compared to Merlins.I also prefer dealing with English shops

Btw as you are from the Sud do you get Leffe blonde down there?
    I ask as I might be coming down there this summer

I'd advise to keep checking around, for example in the last few weeks i've bought from Probike

SRAM PG980 Cassette €29
    SRAM 991 Chain €20
    Shimano 520 Pedals €17

Yep those prices are in Euros not Pounds...Merlin prices were much higher..

Amazingly at this price they have no 980s or 991s currently in stock :shock:

Yes you can get Leffe Blonde down here, always in the Supermarkets, often in the bars where you sometimes get Grimbergen as well, not so easy in restaurants to find a decent beer however...though the 3Brasseurs do some good stuff....

A+

:lol:
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • So CRC would rather send a big parcel so that a van has to deliver it...Rather than a traditional postie on a bike!
    Oh the irony :lol:
    ... must train harder
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Ordered some stuff from Parker International - took a few days to arrive but was very good value - £6 for some finishline teflon grease, £6 for finishline carbon grip and £10.50 for a KMC 9 speed chain. They re-used a shimano brake pad box and the result was a tiny package. But the box doesnt fit in with my wall of CRC boxes :(
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Boxes are cheaper to make, more recycle friendly, can be reused easier than jiffy bags.

At work we have a box of old jiffy bags, people refuse to use.

They don't mind old tatty boxes though :?
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Delta5 wrote:
    agg25 wrote:
    Dell are the worst offenders I know, a stick of RAM comes in something that could fit a whole pc in. They should be stabbed in the eyes.
    This over-packaging is rife throughout the retail industry. The worst I've seen was when I ordered four identical SD memory cards, all in one order from one big, well-known online electronics retailer (not Amazon). I received four boxes, one for each SD card, and each box consisted of:
    I would just like to point out that you are are confusing two seperate issues. The issue you refer to will be a Channel Islands based supplier. They are basically defrauding HM and at the same time preventing that same business to go to a British based company. I once ordered TWO HUNDRED ink cartridges from Play and each came in it's own envelope. NO VAT. I think the limit per order/item is £18.00.
    Which! the consumer magazine do or have done an article on biggest waste of packaging, surprisingly they make the same error - you would think a consumer group would know why you get multi boxes for orders.

RE CRC - I purchased something in July 10 and it didn't arrive, I purchased same item and it arrived in a jiffy bag in July 10. I claimed a refund from CRC and they said I wouldn't have to do anything. Last week a form came from the Post Office asking me to fill in details re claim. IF CRC are having to wait that long to get claims processed then I am not surprised they are posting differently!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had some brad pads arrive from Fawkes Cycles today in a self sealng envelope. I would have gone with the A4 box order but CRC don't sell the brake shoes I prefer.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I was extremely impressed last year to receive something in a decent sized box that was protected with popcorn! Enviromentalism and a snack! But if every one did this people would be crying about the food shortage we already have etc.
    I did think it a pretty smart idea.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    PXR5 wrote:
    I'd advise to keep checking around, for example in the last few weeks i've bought from Probike
    l:

Where is that? I'm moving to Holland...erm...tomorrow actually and getting paid in Euros so I need to find a good european version of CRC -actionsports.de seem to be OK too btw
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    PXR5 wrote:
    l:

Where is that? I'm moving to Holland...erm...tomorrow actually and getting paid in Euros so I need to find a good european version of CRC -actionsports.de seem to be OK too btw
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • PXR5
    ddraver wrote:
    PXR5 wrote:
    l:

www.probikeshop.fr

Somewhere here in France, their site is available in all languages, just had a quick look and postage to Holland would be around €10, but it may well be worth it, CRC stuff takes at least 7 working days to find me, and Probike are often cheaper even adding in postage
  • probike is in St Etienne.I would also try www.fizzbikes.com,they are possibly cheaper than probikes
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • I order some BB7 pads a week ago which also came in a shoebox. I always thought the jiffy bags was a bit of a waste considering how small the pads are, could be put in an envelope. Then I thought I had the wrong part and was thinking I had ordered something by accident to find my little pads in the corner of a stupidly big box...

Silly CRC
    Me like trials biking me do
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't care what they send things in as long as I get them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools