Why do CRC keep sending us stuff in huge boxes?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited February 2011 in MTB general
[rant]
Since the start of the year something has happened at CRC. Little things like cables, lockrings, roller guides, lube, tubes...need I go on...have started arriving in telephone-directory size cardboard boxes :? And the handlebars I ordered last week...jeez I thought they'd sent me a bike frame by mistake :shock:

Problem is, the trusty postman can no longer get these mahoosive cartons through the letter box like the goode olde jiffye bagges so he takes them back to the sorting office in town arrrrrrrrrgggghhhh which kindof defeats the purpose of buying online.

Why are CRC sending us stuff in these huge boxes?
[/rant]

Comments

• The word is they're doing it to ensure it gets delivered by van rather than an on-foot postman who, in my experience at least, is more likely to put a card through without bothering to attempt delivery regardless of the parcel size. Parcels of a certain size and upwards should go out for separate deliveries.

If you're postie isn't bothering despite the parcel size it may be your local office has got wise to what CRC are up to.
  • I really don't know.

My Cassette (proper XT packaging, not OE) came in a huge box with 2 of the same chains, one in the SRAM plastic 'shop box' the other in a CRC bag with the model stamped on it).

Trick is get it delivered to work, but make sure you have the card's deets address and a delivery address.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Its criminal the amount of waste there is in the new CRC packaging. I try to recycle what i can but theres a shod load more people that dont and all that cardboard is just being binned and wasted it shouldnt be allowed.

All that said, its not just CRC that are doin it, wiggle are too. I ordered a new topeak pump to keep on my bike and that turned up in a box about 2ft long and about 8 inches high filled with huge bubble bags to stop it from rattling around (i kid u not).

Bring back the jiffy bags for gods sake and stop messing us all around with such pointless huge packages :roll: :roll:
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Dell are the worst offenders I know, a stick of RAM comes in something that could fit a whole pc in. They should be stabbed in the eyes.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Received QR seatclamp in huge A4 box. Well impressed.

Maybe as someone mentioned, CRC trying to outsmart Royal Mail not to use a postie but to force a van on us?
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Those A4 sized boxes are still of a size that the normal postie can be expected to carry, so the theory that they're doing it to get them delivered by van can't work. Anything up to shoebox size is what your local packhorse will have in his/her bag.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ^^ this is true. The regular postman still brings them but they won't fit through the letterbox :?
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    agg25 wrote:
    Dell are the worst offenders I know, a stick of RAM comes in something that could fit a whole pc in. They should be stabbed in the eyes.
    This over-packaging is rife throughout the retail industry. The worst I've seen was when I ordered four identical SD memory cards, all in one order from one big, well-known online electronics retailer (not Amazon). I received four boxes, one for each SD card, and each box consisted of:

1. Plastic wrap bearing address, etc. around the cardboard box
    2. Cardboard box about the size of an old-school yellow pages
    3. inside the big box a medium-sized hanging-display bubble-pack
    4. in the bubble pack a small silver-foiled box
    5. in the foiled box a small flat bubble-pack
    6. in the bubble pack a smaller, shrink-wrapped plastic box containing one SD card.
    Seven layers and 450g of packaging for something the size of a postage stamp.

It's all about 'cost efficiency' and many manufacturers, marketers, bean-counters and distributors still put shareholder profits way above environmental issues (if they even give a monkey's about environmental impact at all). Hopefully some of that will change as carbon assurance gains momentum and firms have to start auditing and accounting for their carbon footprint (although that in itself is still riddled with problems). Some like Paramo are already doing well though.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    edited February 2011
    had delivered today hope pro 2 rear bearing kit, drive side seal and non driveside seal.
    came in a box the size of a reem of paper, with a trick folding innersection like kids pop up books, all in hard cardboard.

Got the mrs out of bed at 9am, when she only got into bed at 7am after working nights

being Val day etc didn't go down to well

smallest jiffy bag would have done the job WTF, and post the damn thing thats what the letterbox is for.

Rant over :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Maybe they bought a job lot of large boxes! Will be interesting to see what my cassette and chain turn up in tomorrow :D

agg25 wrote:
    They should be stabbed in the eyes.

I actually loled at that!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    its a huge government conspiracy designed so that people start to recycle more.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I can say pretty much 100% that the environmental impact of a single material cardboard carton that is recycled and recyclable is far less than that of a multi material item such as a jiffy bag, which cannot be put in your usual cardboard/paper recycling.

So while the large package may look less environmentally friendly, over the full lifecycle it is actually a better option.

And if it also makes it hard for the Royal Snail to not steal/damage/lose/not bother with delivering the items, that's also a good thing!!
  • Hondated
    Hondated Posts: 136
    Interested to see this topic as I have just received a plastic tool £1.99 to fit my Hollowtec Chain Set and that arrived in a big box.Cannot say it worried me though because its always a delight buying from CRC as they are competitively priced and almost arrive before you even order.
    hondated
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    agg25 wrote:
    The real spasticated clumpets would be the folks who buy RAM from Dell though.
  • Dunno man. If it's like for like and dell come in cheapest you'd be a fool not too?

I think returns through transit breakages cost companies a lot, one way to negate it is to over package, then if it's broken the carrier can't say 'well, it's your fault as it was not wrapped correctly.'
  • Know how you feel... got a single base layer in it's original packaging, inside a jiffy envelope, inside a box similar in size to a shoe box (from CRC)! Original packaging inside a bog standard A4 envelope would have been sufficient. Luckily I was in otherwise it would have been a trip to the sorting office.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    andyrm wrote:
    I can say pretty much 100% that the environmental impact of a single material cardboard carton that is recycled and recyclable is far less than that of a multi material item such as a jiffy bag, which cannot be put in your usual cardboard/paper recycling.

but my local council doesn't recycle corrugated cardboard. Not sure if any in Wales do... the density of cardboard means it can't be economically recycled.

CRC delivered a BB for me in the telephone directory sized box. Mrs Si, who used to audit recycling for councils across Wales, tells me that it was actually illegal and prosecutable to use excessive packaging. Something like
    this but prosecutions are quite rare.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My last two orders from CRC have been in A4 boxes, one was a chain and the other was a SS freewheel. Both orders have meant a trip to the sorting office, not a major problem but means I have to take my bank card into work and pop in on the way.
    the density of cardboard means it can't be economically recycled.

In work we have a compactor and we are getting prices on a par with scrap metal.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I recon CRCs think that us mtbers are just overgrown children and that we love having big boxes full of shiny stuff arrive on our doorstep
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I have laughed at some of the CRC boxes I've received recently but Evans have topped that.

I was puzzled when a 70cm x 70cm box arrived the other day - what could it be - not ordered anything that big.

Hiding in the bottom was my new riser bar!!
  • I recon CRCs think that us mtbers are just overgrown children and that we love having big boxes full of shiny stuff arrive on our doorstep
    But we are, we enjoy scaring the cr@p out of ourselves, messing around, having fun and getting muddy.
  • ordered something from wiggle and very speedy service and well boxed..allways nice to have another good box to the collection for my own personal stash:)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • There have been a number of threads on STW about this in recent weeks. It really bugs me that such a huge internet retailer is behaving like this. There may well be reasons we the consumer may not understand as to why they're doing it but the a) inconcenience of having to go to the sorting office and b) the more serious environmental issues are too big for them not to consider.

Sadly, they've deigned not to respond to my email about it that I sent last week.
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    one bb spacer that cost less than two quid was sent to me in a a4 box. A bog standard envelope would have done.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Sadly, they've deigned not to respond to my email about it that I sent last week.

Likewise, after the first order with the oversize, wasteful poackaging I added a comment on the paypal screen asking for a jiffy bag and not an oversize A4 box which was ignored but it did make life easier for the postie at the sorting office when trying to find the package.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • im currently waiting on new riser bars,chainstay protector and some bottle cage bolts from crc :D
    i wonder what size of box i will be getting ? lol
    carrera vengeance ultimate 11
    specialized hardrock sport pro 05
    commencal combi disc 08
    trek 3900 04
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Got a hope hub the other day (it was actually a wrong order anyway) in a box which could have fitted about another six of them in.... why?!

I also received a stem from them the other day which was more reasonably packaged... I don't understand, surely it's costing them more money to do it this way?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    probably all boils down to cost. as has been mentioned earlier, cardboard is cheaper to manufacture and dispose of (also easier to get rid of, into your green bin for recycling, jiffy bags should go into normal waste) than jiffy bags. i would imagine there is also an element of standardised packaging at CRC. why have 10 different (expensive) types of bag/box on the shelf when 2 or three (admitedly large) universal boxes will do the same job? not to mention extra packaging will go some way to protect the items inside from damage by Royal Snail (or anybody else for that matter!).
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • If the cost of posting carboard is less than the cost of buying packaging and paying for cardboard waste removal combined, then it makes sense.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    Superstar still know how it's done.
    Rotor, adapter, pads AND haribo in a bog standard jiffy bag. Everything turned up safe with minimal waste. 8)