CLA Capsules

ridley2010
ridley2010 Posts: 115
Has anybody used these and are they effective?

Conjugated linoleic acid. Made to increase lean muscle mass and decrease body fat with a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Just wondered if anyone has used them...

Comments

• Yes I use them and since taking them last year I've gone from 78kg to 67kg, lost load of body fat and I'm even leaner than I was when I was x country running/1/2 marathon distance running.

Saying that, over the past 2 months I've alternated to the paleo diet (although not 100%...I do have some sins) and noticed that I've shifted the last bit of fat off quite quick. I have a little bit of belly/love handle fat but it's going quite nicely now. I know I'm getting lean as I can see the veins popping out in my lower abdomen/pelvis region.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • How much training are you doing?
  • Ive been following the Pete Read Black Book programme for the past few weeks so a fair bit although this past week and half I've done nothing due to lack of umph in me and other commitments.
    When I 1st started on them for the 1st month I did nothing and dropped 5lbs.

• Impressive then. Might give them a go.

Thanks for your comments.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Ive got a bunch of them, but could never workout how they worked.

I think they are to help to susstain muscle rather than burn fat.
    I think they keep up your "good cholesterol" which helps to build/maintain muscle.

If i was you i would just eat plenty of Salmon. Or some other oily fish.

Also i think the CLA comes from Sunflower Oil so why not just buy some sun flower oil and take a tea spoon of that?
  • Karl2010 wrote:
    Ive got a bunch of them, but could never workout how they worked.

I think they are to help to susstain muscle rather than burn fat.
    I think they keep up your "good cholesterol" which helps to build/maintain muscle.

If i was you i would just eat plenty of Salmon. Or some other oily fish.

Also i think the CLA comes from Sunflower Oil so why not just buy some sun flower oil and take a tea spoon of that?

As you only 'THINK' I'm not going to take your advice on board. Thanks anyway.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Interesting. I've never come across CLA.... One of the main natural sources of CLA seems to be grass fed beef (which is hard to get as most factory farmed beef is corn and soy fed) but th ebest source is kangaroo meat apparently!

Just been reading up on CLA and there is some evidence that CLA increases oxidative stress on the heart particularly in endurance athletes who exercise hard. It seems to reduce the DHA level in the heart. DHA is Docosahexaenoic acid and is one of those omega 3 oils found in fish oil...

Has anyone noticed any problems with that?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Interesting. I've never come across CLA.... One of the main natural sources of CLA seems to be grass fed beef (which is hard to get as most factory farmed beef is corn and soy fed) but th ebest source is kangaroo meat apparently!

Just been reading up on CLA and there is some evidence that CLA increases oxidative stress on the heart particularly in endurance athletes who exercise hard. It seems to reduce the DHA level in the heart. DHA is Docosahexaenoic acid and is one of those omega 3 oils found in fish oil...

Beef from any butchers (not the supermarket) will have been fed on grass (and other things in the winter).
    More problems but still living....
  • Headhuunter
    amaferanga wrote:

Beef from any butchers (not the supermarket) will have been fed on grass (and other things in the winter).

I highly doubt that ALL meat from butchers is grass fed, as far as I know, the majority of beef cattle around the world these days are fed in factory farm conditions on industrially manufactured meal which consists mostly of grains and soy. I'm sure you're more likely to be able to find grass fed beef at a proper butcher and that the butcher will know what you mean (as opposed to the young kid shelf stacker at Asda) but I'm sure not all their produce is grass fed....
  • I think to get grass fed (ie rich in Omega 3 fats beef) you need to go ecological/organic - as there is grass... and then there is GRASS. As this meat is rare & pretty pricey (at least here in Sweden) it means you eat less of it - a double win as far as I'm concerned....in fact triple because where I buy the animals aren't freighted around but slaughtered near to where they graze - I cycle past them in the summer!
  • Headhuunter
    I think to get grass fed (ie rich in Omega 3 fats beef) you need to go ecological/organic - as there is grass... and then there is GRASS. As this meat is rare & pretty pricey (at least here in Sweden) it means you eat less of it - a double win as far as I'm concerned....in fact triple because where I buy the animals aren't freighted around but slaughtered near to where they graze - I cycle past them in the summer!

Yes, it takes a lot more land to produce grass fed beef as of course each cow needs a certain amount of grass/ground space to graze. Grain fed cattle are crammed into sheds and the feed automatically tipped into troughs. Grain fed cattle need to be fed a lot of medication apparently because their stomachs are not designed to digest huge amounts of grain so they suffer from terrible indigestion and gastric problems and have to be medicated constantly. Also because they live and are forced to feed in close proximity to each other, they suffer from more disease so have to be given high levels of antibiotics. Having said all this, organic beef is not necessarily grass fed! It's possible to feed cattle organic grain.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Ok so I should have said good butchers. My father had a butchers shop in the Scottish Borders and all the (Aberdeen Angus) beef he sold was fed mostly on grass (apart from through the winter when there's obviously very little grass so the animals are fed a combination of grain and silage). None of it was 'factory farmed' that's for sure. Sure it costs more, but there's no comparison between the taste of this beef to the sh!te they sell in supermarkets.
    More problems but still living....
  • 45rpm
    45rpm Posts: 43
    haha brilliant! wasn't the OP about CLA and now it's turned into a best butcher thread!?
  • Are these the same as those Alli capusles that makes your bum drip turd and force you to carry a man bag with babyw wipes in?
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Pulled this off the LA Muscle web site where they sell these things.

Significant increase in "lean" muscle tissue
    Anticatabolic effects, sparing your hard-earnt muscles from being used for fuel!
    Increased hormone production for more Testosterone and Growth Hormone release
    This product is phenomenal at reducing bodyfat

Patented CLA for fat-loss & muscles
    Sculpt is a one-off product which works in an amazing way. This product contains the exclusive patented Conjugated Linolic Acid (CLA), which is found in beef, turkey and dairy products. It also contains other potent Fatty Acids and Vit. E, making it a completely different from conventional supplements.
    Sculpt gets you lean!
    Sculpt will increase lean muscle and dramatically reduce bodyfat. When you work out, your body produces catabolic hormones (muscle-eating). Sculpt will prevent muscle wasting which occurs as a result of training. Sculpt will get you lean and muscular in 5 unique ways:

Sculpt has anticatabolic effects which are wholly different from Leucine/HMB
    By taking Sculpt, you improve your body's "feed efficiency", enabling better usage of your essential bodybuilding foods
    Sculpt results in higher nitrogen retention and increased muscle growth
    Sculpt has essential protein-sparing abilities
    Use Sculpt and you are guaranteed to get a leaner, more muscular physique with a considerable reduction in bodyfat.
    Sculpt means less fat, more muscle!
    Sculpt is a supplement which is wholly different from your traditional synthetic supplements. Sculpt contains a powerful natural Fatty Acid. This Acid is one of the greatest discoveries in the field of sport supplementation. This patented product, guarantees you gains from every possible angle. Not only do you get more muscle, you also get less catabolism, more nitrogen retention, less fat and many other benefits which including boosts in mental power.

The science behind this product is still young. One thing is for sure and that is, all those who have used Sculpt for a cycle, have seen their physique change completely and literally be sculpted into a powerful muscular physique.

When you get stressed, cortisol breaks muscle down and makes your body store fat. Sculpt is great for those who get stressed easily as it stops this process. Sculpt is also great for competitive body builders and their lead-up to a competition as it protects muscle from being broken down and the body from storing fat.

end
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Are these the same as those Alli capusles that makes your bum drip turd and force you to carry a man bag with babyw wipes in?

Haha sounds like you have had a experiance with these Alli capusles :lol:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Are these the same as those Alli capusles that makes your bum drip turd and force you to carry a man bag with babyw wipes in?

I've used Alli in the past and it certainly did not have that affect on me. Although I've read that it CAN be a side-effect. Doesn't mean it IS a side-effect.
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Soooo tempted to get some of these just to try. Want to drop below the 70kg (now 73kg) mark for the summer. I know it's not a magic pill and hard work and diet is also required
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    the supplement industry is stuffed full of half baked nonsense with ZERO proof that they work. the only guarantee you have is that some people are getting very rich at your expense.

to be honest its like 'magic' wrinkle cream- do you beleive that works??
    guess how much it would cost if it really worked? :roll:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Here is the link to the Science In Sport CLA http://www.scienceinsport.com/public/shop_product_details.php?db_DisplayGroupID=25

I think for £10 it could be worth a try. I mean how much do we all spend on our bikes to save a few grams :wink:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • I'm not 100% sure but isn't CLA actually proven to help with weight loss/muscle gain? I haven't got time at the moment to look it up but I'm pretty sure it's one of reasons why I tried it.

• 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    mattshrops wrote:
    the supplement industry is stuffed full of half baked nonsense with ZERO proof that they work. the only guarantee you have is that some people are getting very rich at your expense.

pseudo effect maybe ? Give it a whirl for a tenner
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    mattshrops wrote:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/conjuga ... at-loss-17

I think the above seems a fair assessment of CLA. My own take is that CLA isn't a supplement it's a part of a proper diet