Good hill for hill repeats close to Altrincham

jacroz
jacroz Posts: 30
Hi All

I'm looking for a good hill to do hill repeats on close to Altrincham. Ideally 8-10% and about 3 minutes to get up. I use the wizard hill at Alderley Edge but its a little bit longer than I'd like and is further away than I'd like.... I'm racking my brains but don't know the area that well.

Thanks

Comments

• Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I just moved from Altrincham, after 5yr there.

How about Wainwright Rd? Probably too short.

I can't really think of 3minute hill near Alty. A good one is Macclesfield Forest, but it's much longer than 3min, and is not near Alty.

Where do you live in Altrincham?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    wizard is probably your best bet or Artists La? Is that shorter? Or there's that little blip nr Styal but thats only a minutes worth if that!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • jacroz
    Pep wrote:
    I just moved from Altrincham, after 5yr there.

How about Wainwright Rd? Probably too short.

I can't really think of 3minute hill near Alty. A good one is Macclesfield Forest, but it's much longer than 3min, and is not near Alty.

Where do you live in Altrincham?

Thanks. Don't know that part of Altrincham at all. I'll go and have a look. I'm just down the road in Hale.

Which hill in Macc Forest? Are you thinking of the climb up from the reservoirs past the visitor centre? There a short steep hill coming back up there from the other side.
  • jacroz
    a_n_t wrote:
    wizard is probably your best bet or Artists La? Is that shorter? Or there's that little blip nr Styal but thats only a minutes worth if that!

Thanks. I haven't been up Artists lane in a year or so. I'll give it a go. After they closed Sossmoss lane during the bypass construction I didn't head that way out to Macc anymore. Do you know if Sossmoss Lane is open again?
  • a_n_t
    Not sure. The bypass is open so I dont see why not :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • How close? There aren't all that many steep hills round there. The road from Warrington to Frodsham has a few inclines
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Not meeting your criteria exactly, but:

Altrincham Rd A538 between Hale and Wilmslow, just past the airport tunnels- there is a draggy hill there which you will have to climb on your way to Alderley edge.

Also if you turn right off the A538 road just before the first tunnel into Mill Lane(leads to Ashley), there is a short sharp climb there after half a mile which is good for an out of the saddle effort.
  • jacroz
    Vaseline wrote:
    How close? There aren't all that many steep hills round there. The road from Warrington to Frodsham has a few inclines

Thanks. Ideally closer than that. Thats maybe a little further away than the hills I can get to around Alderley.
  • jacroz
    sturmey wrote:
    Not meeting your criteria exactly, but:

Altrincham Rd A538 between Hale and Wilmslow, just past the airport tunnels- there is a draggy hill there which you will have to climb on your way to Alderley edge.

Also if you turn right off the A538 road just before the first tunnel into Mill Lane(leads to Ashley), there is a short sharp climb there after half a mile which is good for an out of the saddle effort.

Yes the Mill Lane one is quite short but just thought I could alternate it then with climbing back up the longer but shallower incline back to the A538.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Artists lane in Alderley is brill for hill repeats. The time it takes to get there from alty is a perfect warm up..,
  • jacroz
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Artists lane in Alderley is brill for hill repeats. The time it takes to get there from alty is a perfect warm up..,

Thanks. I'll give it a go!
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Not sure of the gradient but "Tatton Mile" (alongside the park) is about three minutes worth of climbing (depending on where you start), and is very close to Altrincham.
  • a_n_t
    Zingzang wrote:
    Not sure of the gradient but "Tatton Mile" (alongside the park) is about three minutes worth of climbing.

More of a "gentle incline" :D
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pyms Chair I think it's called.
    Zingzang wrote:
    Not sure of the gradient but "Tatton Mile" (alongside the park) is about three minutes worth of climbing (depending on where you start), and is very close to Altrincham.

That's not a hill, it's a speed bump.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pym's chair is near Lamaload reservoir the other side of Macc. It's hard!
    Tatton mile has a short drag of about 3% tops.