do you ever have off days?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
some mornings when im on my way to work, it seems like i have no "go" in me at all, like today i was struggling to keep around 13mph an from what i can tell there was no wind, which was nice where i can normally hit 14-15 easy

im guessing it could be a diet issue?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Perhaps you're just tired. I get slower as the week progresses.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • How far do you have to go? For sure I have off days and other days when I feel like I'm on fire (yesterday for instance). Might be diet, your body might be fighting a bug, might just be tired - could be lots of things.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's the weather, time of year, time of day, time of month. Tomorrow you'll be Lance again (denying any drug involvement).
    :)
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Do you eat before you leave in the mornings?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Lot of bugs around this time of year - could just be your immune system fighting something off.
  • mudcow007
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Do you eat before you leave in the mornings?

yep always the same thing, 2 weetabix with a sprinkling of sugar. im currently trying to lose weight aswell so maybe that is something to do with it?

my commute is only 12 miles per day but i'm only just get back into cycling after a break of years.

its weird though some days im full of beans like yesterday, i was cruising along at 15mph but today ahh man alive it was like i was riding with two flat tyres (i have since checked said tyres an they are fine!)
  • I totally agree that you can have off days, you can put it down to diet, sleep or just your stae of mind. It is just that you seem to have peaks and troughs or you seem to go stale and need something different to give you a change for a day or two. A complete rest or say a change of route.
    Talking to my racing clubmates they agree their riding seems to take cycles of 3 to 4 week of peaks and troughs.

Remember the older you are the faster you were.
    Specialized Works Roubaix
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Tifosi CK5 training velo
    Ribble 7005 winter velo
    Fort 7005 track velo
    Gary Fisher full/sus
    Rock Rider hard tail
    Viking Severn Valley 1965 velo historique
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Absolutely. And especially at this time of year. Usually means I'm tired.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Certainly - I often have Friday legs on a Wednesday, and I felt completely bonked last night and this morning. Nothing wrong with a bit of a pootle.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Having an "off" week - full of cold! Pootled this morning.....

I do have off days, wonder if it is diet related - I don't eat before my 10 mile "in" commute......Sometimes have a cup of tea, but thats about it.

I was told that riding for an hour before eating was a good thing....in fact, I think it was on this website somewhere.
  • mudcow007
    ive always been told its best have something to eat when you wake up as it supposedly starts your motabolism, and wakes your body up

how true that is i dont know......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ive always been told its best have something to eat when you wake up as it supposedly starts your motabolism, and wakes your body up

And I've heard recently that it's best to do light exercise before eating to kick start the metabolism - go figure! :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm guessing you can do either :wink:

What I do know is a can of Coke before my ride home really helps if I'm feeling tired. I also prefer to have something in my stomach for the morning ride in - helps keep it settled.

What is clear from this thread is that it's perfectly normal to have off days.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I tend to have a protein shake before leaving in the morning, then porridge at work.
    And plenty of off days, I think someone let the air out of my legs yesterday morning.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Trying to train my leg muscles to do the 'pedal all the way round' thing at the moment so whole piles of fresh achyness this morning.

Plus last night i managed lose the front wheel on a bit of something super slippery (very slow speed fortunately) and landed on my left elbow and the point of my chin! Looked a bit like Jay Leno for a couple of hours until the frozen peas did their bit and reduced the swelling.

........anyhoo, sod all in the way of zip on the way in this morning.

Going to head out for a blast at lunchtime and see if I can 'break on through to the other side'
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Very bad day today: legs absolutely fubared after a couple of interrupted nights, an overzealous ride home and chasing Canyon Man and then last night's headwind - so tiredness in short. I could barely get down the stairs this morning and was fresh out of MTFU, so I'm limiting myself to Silly Commuter Walking today.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm having an off week. The pain generators are turned all the way to eleven...

@RJS last night's headwind? Ah, that explains a lot...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Yep, a steady southerly. No strong gusts, so not that obvious until you realise you're struggling to stay above 15mph.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

And I've heard recently that it's best to do light exercise before eating to kick start the metabolism - go figure! :lol:

....And that not eating 1st trains your body to burn fat.... Who knows. I don't eat before the commute but then it's only a 20 something minute 6 and a bit mile ride
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    dhope wrote:
    I tend to have a protein shake before leaving in the morning.

That sounds like an euphemism for something nasty.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dhope
    cjcp wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

....And that not eating 1st trains your body to burn fat.... Who knows. I don't eat before the commute but then it's only a 20 something minute 6 and a bit mile ride

Not eating trains your body to store fat I though...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Erm, not noticed this. I tend to have breakfast when I get to work
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Headhuunter
    JonGinge wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Me too. It's quite confusing though. I have never heard that the body stores more fat if you don't eat before exercise but I have heard some people say that if your body runs out of carbs it will start to break down muscle to get to BCAA chains and burn those before it starts to burn fat. On the other hand I have heard some people say that once your body is out of carbs it will start to burn fat.... Either way, I doubt it makes much difference over a 6 mile stop start commute through London traffic, but it's useful to know for longer club rides...
  • Try to avoid days with a "y" in
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • dhope
    JonGinge wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Me too. It's quite confusing though. I have never heard that the body stores more fat if you don't eat before exercise but I have heard some people say that if your body runs out of carbs it will start to break down muscle to get to BCAA chains and burn those before it starts to burn fat. On the other hand I have heard some people say that once your body is out of carbs it will start to burn fat.... Either way, I doubt it makes much difference over a 6 mile stop start commute through London traffic, but it's useful to know for longer club rides...

Can also train the body to burn fat first and have a low/no carb diet, forcing the body into ketosis.
    Housemate tried this while training for the marathon. He lasted about 2 weeks, getting progressively more grumpy and lethargic before giving up, gorging on pizza for an evening and then going back to the usual porridge/chicken/veg diet with better results (and mood).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Can also train the body to burn fat first and have a low/no carb diet, forcing the body into ketosis.
    Housemate tried this while training for the marathon. He lasted about 2 weeks, getting progressively more grumpy and lethargic before giving up, gorging on pizza for an evening and then going back to the usual porridge/chicken/veg diet with better results (and mood).

No I wouldn't do the whole South Beach/Atkins diet, just more interested in what to/not to consume before a 40/50+ miler....
  • IMO it's mostly in the mind.

I was snailing along over the weekend, my joints ached and the tyres felt like treacle. Suddenly, a small unleashed dog charges at me from a few metres to my left, yapping loudly. I instantly transformed into Chris Hoy, picked up my speed for the remaining 2 miles of my journey and stopped feeling tired and achey.
  • Headhuunter
    snailracer wrote:
    IMO it's mostly in the mind.

I was snailing along over the weekend, my joints ached and the tyres felt like treacle. Suddenly, a small unleashed dog charges at me from a few metres to my left, yapping loudly. Suddenly I transformed into Chris Hoy, picked up my speed for the remaining 2 miles of my journey and stopped feeling tired and achey.

That's probably adrenaline from a "fight or flight" type situation. Adrenaline is natures rocket fuel for use in emergencies. It dulls aches and pains, wakes you up and makes you more alert and at the same time give you a boost of energy...
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    snailracer wrote:

I was snailing along over the weekend, my joints ached and the tyres felt like treacle. Suddenly, a small unleashed dog charges at me from a few metres to my left, yapping loudly. Suddenly I transformed into Chris Hoy, picked up my speed for the remaining 2 miles of my journey and stopped feeling tired and achey.

That's probably adrenaline from a "fight or flight" type situation. Adrenaline is natures rocket fuel for use in emergencies. It dulls aches and pains, wakes you up and makes you more alert and at the same time give you a boost of energy...

And from where can I purchase this magic you call adrenaline?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • jonginge
    Mattsaw wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

And from where can I purchase this magic you call adrenaline?
    Your friendly neighbourhood dealer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfN8OrCPZvg
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides