Which is the better bike????

2»

Comments

• Whoops,

I misunderstood. Thanks very much for clearing that up.

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    marcel147 wrote:
    I have read & researched all I can.

Nooooo, how can one resist the Stumpy, its lines are so sexy. My head is battered :shock:

You may have read and researched all you want but till you get that leg over the bike you wont truly know.

Im guessing your thought process is based on reviews and looks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree with trying them out. But the Boardman has the better spec, almost every part. I'd take a reba over a float rl anyday, has much more adjustment an tunability. That said the triad shades the monarch, but even the monarch has floodgate.
  • Briggo wrote:
    marcel147 wrote:
    I have read & researched all I can.

Nooooo, how can one resist the Stumpy, its lines are so sexy. My head is battered :shock:

You may have read and researched all you want but till you get that leg over the bike you wont truly know.

Im guessing your thought process is based on reviews and looks.

Correct, the Stumpy looks best and the ex8 I guess would be the better specced bike

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • supersonic wrote:
    I agree with trying them out. But the Boardman has the better spec, almost every part. I'd take a reba over a float rl anyday, has much more adjustment an tunability. That said the triad shades the monarch, but even the monarch has floodgate.
    Super, is the Boardman better spec than the ex8?

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • marcel147 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Super, is the Boardman better spec than the ex8?
    but when the ex8 won trail bike of the year, I'd be inclined to go for the ex8. If I had the same choice as you I'd opt for the Trek.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 8-10-36868

I'm guessing you've seen the review.
  • supersonic
    Yep, the EX8 is the trail bike of the year, but the Boardman won awards too.

And the Boardman is still better specced, and probably lighter too.

Go and see them in the shops.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:

Disagree entirely on the fork, the other half has 120mm Rebas on her focus and the floats are so much more better, give a much better feel and control (yes I did have the Rebas pumped up for my weight when messing around on her bike) ;)

You really must be on the Halfords payroll.
  • Yes the Boardman is about 20% lighter. Will it's specification make it a better ride though? Hard to tell when I can't test ride them all.

Mountain bike of the year is a pretty strong title to ignore even if spec of boardman is better. And who knows, does all that equipment work in harmony on that frame???

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • supersonic
    Briggo wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Disagree entirely on the fork, the other half has 120mm Rebas on her focus and the floats are so much more better, give a much better feel and control (yes I did have the Rebas pumped up for my weight when messing around on her bike) ;)

You really must be on the Halfords payroll.

Erm, no, if you read all my posts on Halfords you will see they are not all complimentary. Farfrom it. But credit where credit is due, I haven't let some stories bias my opinion.

Ah, but did you set the sag, negative air, comp damping and threshold? The weight guides are useless. The Floats are easier to get on and ride with middle of the road settings, but the Reba, with time, I find better to tune to almost any feel you want.

I prefer the Reba, you prefer the Float :wink:
  • supersonic
    marcel147 wrote:
    Yes the Boardman is about 20% lighter. Will it's specification make it a better ride though? Hard to tell when I can't test ride them all.

Mountain bike of the year is a pretty strong title to ignore even if spec of boardman is better. And who knows, does all that equipment work in harmony on that frame???

All are excellent bikes, the Boardman and Trek winning awards at WMB. On paper the Boardman, IMO, has the better spec. Not being able to test throws a spanner in the works.

Very unlikely you will go wrong with any of them. But personally, I'd take the better equipped, lighter bike and pocket the change.

• 2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    marcel147 wrote:

How tall are you? 21.5" frames are for freaks! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    marcel147 wrote:

How tall are you? 21.5" frames are for freaks! :lol:
    I thought that too. I did however check the trek web site size chart & seen as they don't list 21.5 inch frames, I thought that it must be a (Actual size 20) like the badge on the frame says.

In which case, I am the exact height central to a 20" frame according to their chart.

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • For me, I'd go for the Boardman and do the servicing myself. If you can't use a spanner then buy a Trek. :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • For me, I'd go for the Boardman and do the servicing myself. If you can't use a spanner then buy a Trek. :wink:
    Well its definitely back to the boardman or the stumpy now. Probably for the best, these things are meant to be sometimes.

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    supersonic wrote:
    For years the same company made Carrera and Specialized bikes.....

Supersonic is totally correct!!

Don't be a marketing victim.
    Boardman is the better bike and better value! the extra cash will go a long way for upgrades!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • mikeyj28 wrote:
    Supersonic is totally correct!!

Don't be a marketing victim.
    Boardman is the better bike and better value! the extra cash will go a long way for upgrades!!
    Thanks for taking the time to help guys, I am listening and trusting you lot.

My mistake earlier, the Boardman is only 10% lighter! That quite a saving however.

2009 Boardman Pro FS