2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp FSR 19.5"
or
2010 BOARDMAN PRO MTB FS 20"

Which of these is the better bike?

2009 Boardman Pro FS

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Boardman has better spec, and a good ride. Stumpjumper has a bit more travel.

I'd go for the Boardman, but both are great bikes, The ~£500 would also make a big difference to me.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited February 2011
    The Boardman?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    edited February 2011
    The Specialized?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I give up. Which?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    I'd go with the Stumpjumper myself. Have you had a look in What mountain bike or maybe google the name of the bike and then review.
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    It's the Boardman for me. Much better spec and why be a sheep following the Spesh herd?
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • shx8000
    Dubzy: Because i still see both the Boardmans and Carreras as Halfords bikes.
    Obviously they are both good brands now, from what I have seen on this site (did surprise me though, carreras at least. Know nothing of Boardmans) but I still wouldn't buy one for that reason.
  • cooldad
    shx8000 wrote:
    Dubzy: Because i still see both the Boardmans and Carreras as Halfords bikes.
    Obviously they are both good brands now, from what I have seen on this site (did surprise me though, carreras at least. Know nothing of Boardmans) but I still wouldn't buy one for that reason.
    So you'd happily spend 50% more just for a name. A marketing man's wet dream.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • shx8000
    Maybe, but that is my choice.

I'm not slagging the brands off, as I haven't ridden a Carrera in years (it was cheap and bloody awful) and have never ridden a Boardman.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For years the same company made Carrera and Specialized bikes.....
  • And just to through a spanner in the works, what about the:-

2010 Trek fuel ex8?

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Don't spend £500 more. Ive had my Boardman HT 2 years and upgraded since, to the tune of roughly £500 I guess, the frame is really nice. No visible welds, clean lines. You cannot argue with the spec of these bikes for the money. Get it in a box and build it yourself or get it done by a pro (which is what I did) It will sing from day one. Keep the £500 hidden away and upgrade as you go.

Since my upgrades I've had a lot of comments when ive been out on how nice the bike is AND most mention the finish of the frame...which is essentially the "eeewww Boardman" bit isn't it. I've essentially got a HT spec worth about £1500 2 years on. Oh and mine is a Team.
  • Test riding them both is the answer, just because one is a better name, or the other has a better spec, does not 'necessarily' mean either will RIDE BETTER.

However, I own a 2009 Stumpy comp and can honestly say it feels as great to ride now as it did when I bought it in May 09.
    It's called a 'Stump Jumper' for a very good reason. 8) With the kind of budget you are thinking of, there are plenty of other alternatives perhaps worth checking out, just start threads on some forums with 1)budget 2) type of riding mainly intended 3)perhaps include type of bike desired ie:HT vs FS, Alu vs Steel etc..
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Test riding them both is the answer, just because one is a better name, or the other has a better spec, does not 'necessarily' mean either will RIDE BETTER.

This man has it right. 8)
  • shx8000
    Agree with above. I had a ride on a Trek Y33 many, many years ago. It had a cost of about DM10,000, which was about £4k and that was maybe 17 years ago. Had all the best components, and for me, it just didn't feel right. Even if it was £400 I wouldn't have bought it.

Test rides are the way ahead. There are a couple of Demo days coming up soon, and I believe Specialized are doing some. Seen it in MBR magazine.
  • marcel147
    marcel147 Posts: 63
    edited February 2011
    Your all right about the demo of bikes, but seen as I can't afford a new one, I am looking at second hand on eBay and in classifieds.
    Problem is they are all too far and wide afield to visit and test so I am going to buy blind. Of course I will be careful and prudent with whom I bid with & they must show great detail in their adverts for me to consider.

The Boardman is still boxed, the Fuel trek ex8 is used/good condition & the Specialized stumpjumper is barely used. All are in the same price range.

Oh & I am 15 stone, is that too heavy for the Boardman & its lightweight frame? I really like the idea of never been used by someone before me... :lol:

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • FBM.BMX
    FBM.BMX Posts: 148
    Test riding them both is the answer, just because one is a better name, or the other has a better spec, does not 'necessarily' mean either will RIDE BETTER

Winner!!! :wink:
  • I would take the Spec,

My experience of the bikes ahs been first rate historically. And I wouldn't buy a bike where i'm forced to interface with halfrauds
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    supersonic wrote:
    For years the same company made Carrera and Specialized bikes.....

Do you think they had the same budget for each?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    He's just said they're all second hand, so the lbs vs halfords argument doesn't come into it. Look at the reviews for the boardman. Then buy it :)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Given the apalling hardrock frame a few years ago, carrera probably had the higher budget!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    thel33ter wrote:

Dont get me wrong the Boardman is a nice bike, I have ridden one but it isnt better spec'd.
  • Briggo wrote:
    thel33ter wrote:

Dont get me wrong the Boardman is a nice bike, I have ridden one but it certainly isnt better spec'd.

So which is the better specced? & Even though boardman is new is a low usage better spec a better choice?

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    marcel147 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    thel33ter wrote:

Dont get me wrong the Boardman is a nice bike, I have ridden one but it certainly isnt better spec'd.

So which is the better specced?

The main components are pretty much the same its the forks and shock where the difference is at.

The Boardman is £200 cheaper, currently £1199 in Halfords and the Stumpy can now be bought for £1399 if you google. Imo that £200 extra is definitely better spent on the triad shock and float forks.
  • Sorry guys,

I know the thread started without it, but what about the:-

2010 TREK FUEL EX 8 which is also on my watchlist

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    Agree with others saying ideally you need to try the bikes before you decide.

I have the Stumpy and love it. Great geometry, good suspension, great ride. But Spesh bikes geometry feels right for me - it may not for you.

BTW: I got mine for 1399 so agree with Briggo that for 200 extra i would rather have float and triad than Monarch and Rebas of the boardman. Whether the XO rear mech would make as much difference to me I'm not convinced.
  • OK, thanks guys, you've helped me choose (I Think!!)

I was so tempted with the brand new Boardman but seen as the specification is slightly lower than the other 2, I think I will decide on the Trek feul ex8

Hope its the right decision.

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • shx8000
    I have the Remedy 8, which looks very similar to the Fuel bikes.

If the fuel is half as good as the Remedy, you'll be laughing.
  • Thanks shx, but I am not going to even think about another option now. I have read & researched all I can.

Nooooo, how can one resist the Stumpy, its lines are so sexy. My head is battered :shock:

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • shx8000
    I'm not saying to go for a Remedy. I'm saying, the bikes look very similar, guessing it is only the geometry and finishing kit that differs. As Fuel is xc and Remedy is AM.

So if the Fuel is as good at xc as the Remedy is Trail riding, it'll be great.