Zebra crossing - Rage

13»

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    "To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect"
  • Gussio wrote:
    "To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect"
    I was looking for some clever retort so delved into Google. The best I could come up with was What happens when you do the unexpected

This adds little to the debate save assures us that some forums are even sadder than ours....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Rich_E wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    How about anticipation, hazard perception, forward planning etc. It's really not that difficult to second guess that someone walking towards a zebra crossing might actually want to use it - irrespective of whether they're providing more obvious visual cues.

I think you misunderstood me.

In this particular case, the guy was not walking towards the Zebra Crossing, he was walking in the direction as to travel past it, he did not look like he was going towards it. He was not near the crossing as I went towards it and as I pointed out, I did slow down on anticipation that there might be somebody wanting to cross.

Are you suggesting that anyone on a cycle or otherwise should slam on the brakes, thus risking causing an accident, the second somebody randomly decides to cross with no obvious intention? That's why as I pointed out, when I'm on foot I make it obvious I want to cross by looking. Yes its a right of way for a Pedestrian, but there is an onus on the Pedestrian to ensure they cross in the proper manner.

I'm struggling to understand your example - but I'll put that down to a lack of imagination on my part.

In answer to your question - "no". Slamming on your brakes without shoulder checking is indeed a recipe for disaster. However, I will brake hard if it's safe to do so - for two reasons: a) to facilitate the last sec use of a zebra crossing and b) to avoid a potential collision. However, slamming on your brakes when faced with a zebra crossing is more often than not a sign that you have failed to properly assess your surroundings and the potential hazards.

If you know where the zebra crossings are on your commute you have plenty of time to plan ahead and look for pedestrian movement in the vicinity of the crossing (not merely 10 metres before, for example). Depending on the situation, I adjust my speed and position well in advance of the crossing and I look closely at the body language of people in the area and try to get eye contact, if possible. If I cannot glean their intended path from visual cues, I'm even more cautious, not less so.

It is indeed a foolish pedestrian who attempts to enter a zebra crossing without checking what is coming first - but it is a rather naive cyclist who assumes every pedestrian will act in the "proper manner".
  • I am not excusing people who ignore zebra crossings, however there is an onus on pedestrians to follow The Highway Code, as any other road user. Rule 19 relates to the use of Zebra Crossings

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

Unquote

How many times have you had to do an emergency stop because a pedestrian has walked out onto a crossing without looking because they think they are in the right and all traffic has to stop for them. The Highway Code is very clear that peds should stop and wait for traffic to stop BEFORE stepping out. As I said earlier there is a general degradation in the respest and regard we have for each others well being.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Passing through a zebra when in use is, in my opinion, worse than RLJing where there is no one on or using the crossing (excluding junctions)).

There is clear and present danger (a ped) right in front of you. You may as well ride on the pavement. It's not on.

I've had words, but I've found cyclist like to admit fault less than many motorists I've encountered. I've had full blown arguments with a few cyclists in my time.

Yes.

There might be some uncertainty as to whether another road or pedestrian user is going to be inconvenienced by a particular RLJ. There is no uncertainty about jumping a zebra crossing. That is definitely antisocial.

Similarly, riding on the pavement is illegal, but if there aren't any pedestrians on that pavement I wouldn't think it is particularly bad. I wouldn't do it, for loads of reasons, roads being more appropriate, but I can understand why people do.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    thecrofter wrote:
    I am not excusing people who ignore zebra crossings, however there is an onus on pedestrians to follow The Highway Code, as any other road user. Rule 19 relates to the use of Zebra Crossings

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

Unquote

How many times have you had to do an emergency stop because a pedestrian has walked out onto a crossing without looking because they think they are in the right and all traffic has to stop for them. The Highway Code is very clear that peds should stop and wait for traffic to stop BEFORE stepping out. As I said earlier there is a general degradation in the respest and regard we have for each others well being.

This is pretty much what I was trying to get across.
    I stop for Pedestrians and I don't jump red lights.

That's why it annoyed me that some idiot can just steam across out of nowhere, without looking like it's his total right to do so, like it's some kind of magic path where he is immune to all else that is happening. I'm the 'dick' because I should have forced myself into an emergency brake when he wasn't even intending to cross at the time.