Zebra crossing - Rage

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
So this morning - Zebra crossing before Parson's Green coming east . .

I see Mum and child (seven ish) starting to cross from the other side - they are 1/4 of the way across . .

I slow

and stop

They are now about 1/2 way

A pair of guys fly though - either side of me (stopped) forcing Mum and kid to stop.

On or Not on?

I had a word with the pair of them at the next lights, the older guy argues the toss with me and saw no wrong.
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    This pisses me off no end.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Not on at all. The worst sort of f***youI'minahurry behaviour. Unfortunately I sinned myself this morning just north of LBR. The traffic was heavy and I didn't notice a chap stepping out until I was too close and travelling too fast to stop safely, so had to weave past him. Offered an apology, but should pay more attention.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Not on, its rude, not to mention dangerous.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    not on,

heading west last night on the LRR one cyclist and two motorbikers did it, really naffs me off.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Not on. Unquestionably.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    You retain the moral high ground; it is most certainly not on. Proper zebra crossing are what set us aside from the Continentals.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not on.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm curious to know how the older guy could see no wrong... it actually beggars belief
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    rjsterry wrote:
    Not on at all. The worst sort of f***youI'minahurry behaviour. Unfortunately I sinned myself this morning just north of LBR. The traffic was heavy and I didn't notice a chap stepping out until I was too close and travelling too fast to stop safely, so had to weave past him. Offered an apology, but should pay more attention.

I've done similar in the past, apologised as I zipped past & the chap accepted.

on a related note, I'm not that fond of zebra crossing, I think the rules around them are a bit silly & pedestrians often aren't great at using them.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Not on - not only is it dangerous - I then have to put more effort in to catch them. Do the rules of the game state automatic disqualification?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Definitely not on. Pisses me off big time.

Yesterday, zebra crossing on Borough High St, family with a small child waiting to cross, police van I was following drives through obliviously.

This morning, same crossing, man already halfway across, elderly lady waiting to cross. Car alongside me carries on through shortly followed by 2 roadies and a hybrid. A smile from the lady and a nod from the man boosts my karma level for today.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    That has got to be the easiest poll yet.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • A nice array of road users not giving a fuck on a zebra crossing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1PkWhXUck
  • not on at all. thats the sort of nobber cyclunt who gives Clarkson, rayner etc all the ammunition they need.

its a lack of attention to the road and your surroundings.

if theres a zebra crossing ahead, i anticipate pedestrians may be there and cover the brake drop a gear and freewheel until i can see it is actually clear, then change back up and pedal away nicely.

sum delay 1 or 2 seconds.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Not on.
    However, if they are crossing from your side, is it ok to set off once they have cleared your side of the road?
    What if there is an island in the middle?
  • Poor, but...

Did the zebra xing have an island in the middle (of the road)? And if so, was the mother on (a) the other side of the island, or (b) waiting at the island or walking on your side of the island.

Pretty sure if (a) you're not obliged to stop, but if (b) you are.

Good manners and obliged are not necessarily co-terminous, of course.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Agree if you had time to stop its definitly not on, it does however really annoy me when peds walk out onto the crossing without stopping or looking. Its not always obvious when someone is about to use the crossing and there isn't always time to stop.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Bikequin wrote:
    Agree if you had time to stop its definitly not on, it does however really annoy me when peds walk out onto the crossing without stopping or looking. Its not always obvious when someone is about to use the crossing and there isn't always time to stop.

Annoying, yes, but all the more reason to be extra alert at crossing. Always expect people to do stupid things.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Not on.
    However, if they are crossing from your side, is it ok to set off once they have cleared your side of the road?

I think technically, if the crossing goes straight across it is treated as one conituous crossing irrespective of an island. It's in the Highway Code somewhere....

Another thing which p's me off but has become pretty common in London is bikes (pedal and motor) passing to the right of traffic islands. I can still remember how shocked I was the first time I saw it (probably 3-4 years ago). Now it seems like the norm.
  • Kurako wrote:
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Not on.

I think technically, if the crossing goes straight across it is treated as one conituous crossing irrespective of an island. It's in the Highway Code somewhere....

If there's an island in the centre of a zebra crossing it's treated as two separate crossings as Greg intimated earlier.
  • Greg T
    I agree - if an island then I'll go through my side unless they are stood on it / very near it.

I'll also go through behind them once the go past me L > R

I'll also swing out and go behind them if they are going R > L without scaring the horses . .

There is an island, they were my side of it when the two heros went through - proper really bad form.

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Not on, they have right of way cycling in front of them is very bad form.

I don't like it when a ped is waiting to cross and I've seen them and start slowing and nod to them to cross, no response.. I wave a hand... still nothing I then stop and they cross I then start again.. I've not yet shouted "Just cross the fu<king road already" it just goes off in my head.

Also I get very narked when I stop and as the ped is hesitating cars are still bombing through
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, bad form.

That stretch shows up a lot of bad riding/driving...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I thought if there was an island it becomes two stretches but still totally not on. We're road users and should obey the laws of the road.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Greg T
    I always feel nervous as I brake for peds on a zebra crossing that they'll see me slow, make eye contact with me and start to cross - then they'll get collected by some knobber coming up behind.

So....

Guy about 50

Rapist filter mask

Sky ride hi-vis (proper bike advocate)

Tall MTB thing with a high crud catcher on the back.

"You ride your way - I'll ride mine"

The way your ride is like a cock and I'll tell you so.

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Not on at all, and good on you for having a word.

What reason did he give you for not stopping?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Greg T
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Not on at all, and god on you for having a word.

What reason did he give you for not stopping?

That he didn't hit them . . . .

He continued the chat down the road. . . . he had some front to keep up his defence when banged to rights. . .

I'd be shamefaced.

I actually feel bad as I let a "TWATS!" out as they went through - at that point Mum and Kid were dead infront of my front wheel and I had to apologies for my language . . . .

Victimless riding crimes are all very well - but ped crossings with kids on are well beyond the pale . . .

Funnily enough . .

later this morning I'm on CS3 - Cable street bike path

A big guy on a MTB leading off three of us.

Girl crosses road ahead and doesn't look left - he gives her loads of abuse - proper shouting - she's a kid. as he has to brake a bit

he then shoots a ped crossing loaded with school kids.

Priick.

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    thats the sort of nobber cyclunt who gives Clarkson, rayner etc all the ammunition they need.

Gah! Really? You must have missed Orgamist's video. Here it is again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1PkWhXUck

I bet Clarkson would go anti-car after seeing that?
  • Completly ignorant and dangerous, I know the crossing your talking about and see this happen alot. If they hit a pedestrian on a zebra crossing they would be at fault and I would have no problem being a witness. I would also add there have been numerous occasions when I've been half way across a crossing with my kids and a car has zoomed through, you get idiots in all walks of life.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I don't like it when a ped is waiting to cross and I've seen them and start slowing and nod to them to cross, no response.. I wave a hand... still nothing I then stop and they cross I then start again.. I've not yet shouted "Just cross the fu<king road already" it just goes off in my head.

I've told them to either cross or not & make their mind up on the odd occasion. Courtesy on their part to move on swiftly (not loiter)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5