Mow Cop Challenge 2011

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Like the Box Hill and Richmond Park 3 Lap challenge,

How about one for us northerners?

Mow Cop was the first one to spring to mind -

Time taken-
FROM- the line painted just after the railway track
TO- level with the telegraph pole just after the side junction of Lower High Street

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=204897

I've not done it in the last 12 months but will post a time in the next couple of weeks. Add your time and details to the list!

Name - Weight - Time - Month - Type of Rider (Sportive/commuter/Cat 3 etc) - Watts/HR

It'd be great to see some power graphs too :)

There will be a small prize for the winner (as long as time can be proved by way of graph ;) )

Ant - 164lb - 7.33 - Sept 2009 - Tester - Max HR 190
Benjiboy - 78kg - 09.26 - 14/02/11- Sportive - max HR 164
JGSI -
09:39 09/02/2011
Ave hr 164 max 179
ChrisB - 80kg - 9:41 - Feb 2011 - Sportive - 164hr/283w
thegibdog - 156lbs - 9:50 - Mar 2011 - Commuter/Beginner - n/a
Pickled - 160lb - 10.21 - March 2010 - Sportive - Max HR 187

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Bit far for me on a regular basis, but will post my cheshire cat sportive time (if i make it up without getting off!!!)
  • fred22
    fred22 Posts: 509
    Why dont we do this on Strava? Thats what it does! See http://www.strava.com

You upload your ride gpx file like any other such site. But what Strava does is to allow you to select segments of your ride that are of interest such as climbs and save them for comparing with other riders performance on the same segment (and if you upload from a Garmin 500/705/800 it will extract categorised climbs automatically). It then compares *all* other uploaded routes to see if anyone else has ridden the segment/climb and if they have then it will create a KOM table or leader board. Any future uploaded rides are also scrutinised for this and every other segment.

We can then just have a link to that segment page from this topic.

Here's an example of a segment page showing all riders efforts http://app.strava.com/segments/634560 "Roundy Ln To Shrigley" I think I'm sixth (woot!!) but it shows Power etc too if you have uploaded this. So there'd be a new page for Box Hill and we can then just have a link to that segment page from this topic.

So what we'd have to do:

* NapoleonD needs to start seeing as its his idea. Create a free Strava account and upload a gpx or garmin file which contains the Mow Cop segment. If the former, gpx file he will then need to manually create the segment -I'm happy to help as this is a wee bit clunky, theres a map and a slider and you set start and end positions using the slider. It'd be a lot better if you could just click on the map but thats another story. If from a Garmin it should just extract this and categorise but not having a Garmin I cant say if you can edit this.
    * Everyone who wants to join in create a free Strava account -you can upload five rides in any calendar month which should be sufficient.
    * Upload any subsequent ride where you have followed the segment and Strava will automatically identify that you have done so and add you to the leaderboard

Job done and its way easy to see and compare (Note I inadvertently posted this in the Box Hill challenge :oops: and JibberJim gave a couple of good reasons why not to do it on Strava -I still think it would be good)
  • Anonymous
    Or we could just type it out on here...
  • fred22
    Please yourself , only a suggestion just trying to make life easier
  • only done it the 'mount pleasant' way.

this way looks ruff :shock:

I guessing 5 or 6 mnutes would be normal??
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Or we could just type it out on here...

Do both!

Part of the reason is finding a Strava climb with lots of people going up it is a great way to find routes in different areas - or even in your own area.

Maybe I'll ride up and give it a go...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Anonymous
    fred22 wrote:

It doesn't though, it would mean that everyone would have to have a strava account, it would mean that I would have to sort out who was and wasn't on Bikeradar and it would mean me having to constantly check it. It also excludes those who don't have garmins and the like.
    That's before the issues jibberjim raised.

TBS- possibly, can't remember!
  • Anonymous
    Just looked at Strava, it says that three people have done the cat and fiddle in 12-13 minutes. The fastest guys in the hill climb champs are doing it in 20...
  • jibberjim
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just looked at Strava, it says that three people have done the cat and fiddle in 12-13 minutes. The fastest guys in the hill climb champs are doing it in 20...

The segment is just part of it. Create the correct segment that matches the hill climb! Also a good idea to request the short one be renamed to include the fact it's only part of the climb.
  • Anonymous
    Aaah, roger. It's actually less than half the climb :?

CBA TBH.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    NapoleonD wrote:

Thats because going to Walker Barn is only half of the hill IMO, I did this in 14 mins on a long training ride, getting to the real top is a little bit longer like you say.

IMO the real top is near the Cat and Fiddle pub.

Anyhow, might have to partake in this challenge when I am next up in Crewe, could be some good practise for the LMTT.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Good idea Nap!
    I'll post a time as I'm off there in a couple of weeks to recce it with a mate who's doing the Cheshire Cat.
    I made it up last year in one go, but anytime I post on here will probably include a pint in the pub at the top...
    Get my wooden spoon ready.
  • ok, just seen someone did mow cop in just under 5 minutes to win.

cat & fiddle course record = 18:24

bottom to walker barn in 13-14 minutes is 3.7 w/kg. talking from personal experience
  • fred22
    NapoleonD wrote:
    fred22 wrote:

It doesn't though, it would mean that everyone would have to have a strava account
    Er, yes.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    it would mean that I would have to sort out who was and wasn't on Bikeradar
    No. You'd link to strava from here and the we'd post our strava user names in this topic.

NapoleonD wrote:
    and it would mean me having to constantly check it
    Why? Everyone sees the same thing on the strava page. so instead of constantly checking here you'd constantly check strava. Well as frequently as you want.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It also excludes those who don't have garmins and the like.
    I don't have a garmin. I have gps on my phone. Most of us have that I'd have thought. Given the data you're after i'd reckon some gps device would be essential
  • jibberjim
    fred22 wrote:
    I don't have a garmin. I have gps on my phone. Most of us have that I'd have thought. Given the data you're after i'd reckon some gps device would be essential

I would say only about 50% of the people I ride with ride with GPS tracking of their ride. And I generally ride with serious cyclists.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I'd dont have a Garmin or any other GPS stuff....but I do a fair bit of cycling.

Never done Mow Cop-spent the first 21 years of my life living just 1 mile away from it, but wasn't into cycling then! What sort of gearing are we talking about to get up it? Mate of mine did it 34-27 and is a reasonable climber on a mtb-not done any road riding with him. I've got 39-25 and would say climbing is my strength, although I'm dubious as to whether it would see me up?
  • Anonymous
    @Fred - stop hijacking, I'm trying to keep it simple. The only essential info is the time!

I've done it on 39-25 and I'm a CRAP climber.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Tom BB wrote:
    I've got 39-25 and would say climbing is my strength, although I'm dubious as to whether it would see me up?

There was a video linked through this site (I think) that showed a guy riding it for a magazine or some such like.

Anyhow, he had lots of problems with his gears and eventually had to ride up in 39:23. He did manage but it was a "by the skin of his teeth" job. Can be done but didn't look the easiest.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Here we go.
    To set us off, I've managed to extract the data from my Cheshire Cat sportive last March using that Strava thingy.

These are the details it's given me. It says 0.9 miles with an average of 11.9% or a category 3 climb.

Pickled - 160lb - 10.21 - March 2010 - Sportive Cheshire Cat- Max HR 187

Felt longer, and I was swerving to avoid falling riders.... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Nice one pickled! Added to first post.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Good work Nap... nice and simple idea..(leaving this gps technology fad to one side :wink: ).. out with a few guys from the club on Thursday... so will see about setting a time...
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I've dug out the last time I did it in Sept 09 [think it was with you Nap?] and it looks to be around 7 minutes thirty'ish. I've got the garmin data, I'll upload it to connect in a minute.

i've way more power now than I had then too! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Ant - 164lb - 7.33 - Sept 2009 - Tester - Max HR 190

I'll try and get down there again but might prove difficult, season starts soon!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

That would be impossible... considering it's close to 7 miles long, that would be close to 30 mph

When I timed myself a few years back, I did 26 minutes, I seem to recall
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

That would be impossible... considering it's close to 7 miles long, that would be close to 30 mph

Errr, no. 7 miles in 21 minutes is 20mph...

Local lad mike cuming did it in under 20 mins last oct
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... nd-up.html
  • Anonymous
    Cheers Ant, will update first post when I'm home.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Errr, no. 7 miles in 21 minutes is 20mph...

Local lad mike cuming did it in under 20 mins last oct
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... nd-up.html

I was thinking of 12-13 minutes... 20 is perfectly feasible for a well trained athlete...
    left the forum March 2023
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    First one with a 2011 time :wink:

09/02/2011
    09:39 Ave hr 164 max 179

Absolutely no rhythm at all - shocking -
    Done on my 10kg Allez

and no need for fancy garmins or powertaps.... calculator and a nifty little formula reckons ave power for this was circa 260 watts.
  • Anonymous
    1st post updated...
    I need to get my fat backside in gear and have a do!
  • Recent postings on this is of interest to me as in the 1950's there were a lot of Hill Climbs on "The Cat"--Times obviously depends on the start & finish points---Prior to the construction of the Silk Rd the start was at the very bottom outside Arighi--Bianchi Furniture Store & I held the record for this in 1957 at 20mins 35secs. some time later it was broken by Robin Parker from Macclesfield Whls who shaved a few secs off it. After the Silk rd. was put in the start was moved up to 150yds past the Canal Bridge(500/600yds??) & the record was held by Mark Lovatt with a short 18mins (National HC Champs early 2000's). It may have been bettered in the last few years--I know Mark fairly well & he's done it in 17min 40secs in training. but like he says "this is one climb where your time depends more than any other on which way the wind is blowing"--If you do it with the wind up your "chuff" it can make a 6min difference by the top.