Cavendish - grow up.

snakeeater
snakeeater Posts: 113
edited February 2011 in Pro race
You want respect from the media but you criticise someone who asks a general question about your training. He was only asking confirmation that you're in control and not getting behind in any way. Just grow up and give us a good answer for a change instead of treating people with contempt just because they're not on the 'inside'.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134
    One can only assume you're referring to this interview;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-c ... r-of-qatar

If you think that's 'criticism' then you must live a very sheltered existence.
  • Totally agree with AndyP. Nothing wrong wit that interview, he was remarkably civil for Cav! Get off his back and give him a break
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    :roll:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    I love Cavendish as a rider he's awesome.As a bloke,he's a bit of a tosser
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    snakeeater wrote:
    You want respect from the media but you criticise someone who asks a general question about your training. He was only asking confirmation that you're in control and not getting behind in any way. Just grow up and give us a good answer for a change instead of treating people with contempt just because they're not on the 'inside'.

You don't know Mark Cavendish from Adam. Have you read Boy Racer? If not I suggest you do.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • andyp wrote:
    One can only assume you're referring to this interview;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-c ... r-of-qatar

If you think that's 'criticism' then you must live a very sheltered existence.

you saying this to somebody who writes a message on a forum directed at a guy who will never read it...

I never understand why people care about cavs personality... as far as some cyclists go, Cavs a perfect gentleman :D
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The op is yet another example of the British tendancy towards tall poppy syndrome!
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    snakeeater wrote:

Na, it was a stupid question.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dilemna wrote:

You don't know Mark Cavendish from Adam. Have you read Boy Racer? If not I suggest you do.

Might not be the best advice. Boy Racer tends to reinforce opinion, rather than change it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • nowt wrong with what he says in that interview
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Just watched it, seemed fine to me, wasn't rude, just thought the question was stupid and said so :roll:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Nickwill wrote:
    The op is yet another example of the British tendancy towards tall poppy syndrome!
    Somehow I'd got to my mid-50s without hearing that expression, but now that I've Googled it - I see what you mean!
  • barney96
    barney96 Posts: 157
    OP - MTFU You need to get a grip - Cav grow up?? He said NOTHING wrong.. Some yank tried pressing some 'buttons' and gets a deserved response.

Cav you keep on kicking ass pal - attitude - desire - winner..................... end of
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Oi, servant.............bring me a wet haddock this verrry instant.

There is someone in cyberspace one requires to

[size=24]S-L-A-P[/size]
  • Tusher
    Buggrit.
    How did that happen.

It was supposed to be-

S-L-A-P
  • Tusher
    I mean and extra large font, large writing SLAP.

Technology has yet again defeated me.

Mr Cavendish is utterly perfect. Any dissent shall be treated with further slapping from wet haddocks.
  • shakey88 wrote:
    I love Cavendish as a rider he's awesome.As a bloke,he's a bit of a tosser

i agree but the personality and drive he has makes the rider.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Tusher wrote:
    Mr Cavendish is utterly perfect. Any dissent shall be treated with further slapping from wet haddocks.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o
  • Tusher
    Quite, Mr Greasedscotsman, quite.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    iainf72 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Might not be the best advice. Boy Racer tends to reinforce opinion, rather than change it.

What opinion? Yours, which is you think he's an ok guy who tells it like it is, knows what he's talking about, is very focused on his cycling and can win, frequently. 'Am I right?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134
    Where 'tells it like it is' means that occasionally he acts like a pr!ck?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dilemna wrote:

What opinion? Yours, which is you think he's an ok guy who tells it like it is, knows what he's talking about, is very focused on his cycling and can win, frequently. 'Am I right?

No. Before I read his book I thought he was a tool who could sprint very fast. After I'd read the book I was convinced he was a tool who could sprint very fast.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • i get cavs reply to that question remembering his training was sporadic at the start of last year with dental problems think i would have given the same response if asked as well. its funny how in the uk we like to knock our best sportsmen and constantly put them down when they are at the top of there game i think we would all be a bit arrogant to some extent if we had half of cavs talent
    "you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"
  • You want respect from the media but you criticise someone who asks a general question about your training. He was only asking confirmation that you're in control and not getting behind in any way. Just grow up and give us a good answer for a change instead of treating people with contempt just because they're not on the 'inside'.[code]

Sorry you are avin a giraffe mate arent ya? Cav said nowt in that interview that was shitey. Stop being so precious..
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Another genuine waste of a couple of minutes. As others have highlighted.. there's nothing to see here
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    Cav just couldnt be arsed, end of, plus the guy stumbled through his questions, poor prep on his behalf.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    seemed right to post here given the lack of grown up behaviour by some of our heros generally
    I saw reported uncritically on cycling websites some weeks back that that Gilbert guy had done high speed motor pacing behind a car-as though require such ridiculous feats ( 120km an hour blind). Why would someone who can earn so much in future be such a clown (-Gilbert)??

Cycling websites didn't seem too dubious and it seemed reported as some kind of achievement so 0/10 for responsibility websites. This other lunatic blacked out below. I hope buying kit and copying style is all the young do re their role models as this kind of high speed motor pacing is very dangerous and should not even be reported other than when someone wipes out like our unconscious friend below.
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7110/ ... -bike.aspx

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7330/ ... 0-kmh.aspx
  • Mark Cavendish is a fantastic sprinter and arguably the best in the world (apart from the crashes he's been having of late - which I think will hamper his early season form a little), but I just think that he comes across as a schoolboy at times when most of his rivals show a little more maturity in front of the press. Yes, he probably gets bombarded by what he would class as stupid questions from the press at times, but other pros just answer the question politely and get on with it. I'm not denying he's open and honest, speaks his mind etc but i feel he needs to be a bit more tolerant with whats around him.

I dont need to read his book to form an opinion of his attitude in front of media. Read enough in the xmas edition of pro cycing for that.

Anyway, hopefully cav will still bag a stage or two of the tour of qatar.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Nickwill wrote:

Disagree. The man is a chav - and behaves like it. Cadel Evans gets equally bad responses on here when he behaves like a plonker. This has nothing to do with Cav being British, it is entirely to do with his personality.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Its less about Cav and more about British folks dont like people to know they are good at something and to simply say so. Its just not cricket damnit!

We brits have always struggled with knowing how to handle confidence/arrogence in people.

But yea, silly thread. Especially as the video appears to be fairly good natured. Easy to take out of context in an article though.