Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Turbo Session Plans??

designmandesignman Posts: 405
Just bought myself my first Turbo trainer and was curious if there is such things as "Turbo Session Plans"? or do people just make their own up....
I want to become better at Hill Climbing so I need to know what gears to use & for how long on the turbo.
And same again with Speed - What gears to use and for how long.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks.

• LucanLucan Posts: 338
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • mz__jomz__jo Posts: 398
    I have just started using a turbo this winter (arthritis is a bit painful in the cold and wet). I am not at all convinced of the value in training for hills. There isn't really a substitute for lugging your bodyweight against the pull of gravity. However it is good for speed pedalling and building for strength.
    I am registered with turbotraining.co.uk, I haven't yet really used the plans (I tend to improvise all the time, just like on the road) but the 10 competition is very appealing.
  • designman wrote:
    Just bought myself my first Turbo trainer and was curious if there is such things as "Turbo Session Plans"? or do people just make their own up....
    I want to become better at Hill Climbing so I need to know what gears to use & for how long on the turbo.
    And same again with Speed - What gears to use and for how long.

Hope someone can help.
    Thanks.

Go to www.thesufferfest.com

Download a copy of Angels (approx £9.00) and give it a go, much better than looking at a plan taped to your bike and if you eat some dodgy beef you might catch Contador on Alpe d'huez.
  • mz__jo wrote:
    I have just started using a turbo this winter (arthritis is a bit painful in the cold and wet). I am not at all convinced of the value in training for hills. There isn't really a substitute for lugging your bodyweight against the pull of gravity. However it is good for speed pedalling and building for strength.
    I am registered with turbotraining.co.uk, I haven't yet really used the plans (I tend to improvise all the time, just like on the road) but the 10 competition is very appealing.

Absolute nonsense. Take a look at the hill climb season and those of us who ride the races. Most, include hill climbing specific turbo work.
  • there isn't really a hill climbing workout as such maybe high resistance sessions mote be the way to go
  • what a load of s**t do a race with hills then you will know
  • mz__jomz__jo Posts: 398
    Sorry for the delay in replying.
    I am a tourist and my idea of hillclimbing is the Pas de Peyrol loaded for camping, which is not quite the same effort as a hilly road-race or the Horseshoe or Dover's Hill in a hillclimb tt.

That said I have been using max resistance (Tacx Cycletrack) and varying the effort by cadence and gearing and the first time out on the road last week-end was very gratifying. This setting feels very much like climbing a decent col.

I think the problem with turbo-training for hills is that you only work on the power side of the power/weight equation when you have to pay attention to the weight issue as well, which can be a bit deceptive (of course all you hardened racers are fanatical about your weight(s) but the same cannot always be said about the rest of the leisure cycling community).

Cheers Jo