Clarkson and Fry - why?

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Why is it our presenters can't keep their mouths shut.

Stephen Fry who I do have a respect for academically, made light of the A Bomb and Japan complained, leading to the feckless BBC apologising. Now Fry isn't allowed into Japan as a result.

Jeremy Clarkson taking the pi$$ out of a Mexican supercar on last week's programme, leading to a complaint from the Mexican ambassador in London, taking objection to Clarkson calling Mexicans lazy and feckless.

Why can't Clarkson in particular just keep his fat mouth shut. He just loves himself doesn't he, and has to try and be funny (as always) and this is where it gets him. He's not funny; just a sarcastic baffoon.

I love Top Gear for the cars of course but not for the presenters, popular they are winning awards here and there, but at what cost? Pointless.

Comments

• exactly ... what cost ??

you might not have found him/it funny, I laughed out loud.

I am sure that mexicans think we are uptight pompous lager louts, that germans are unfunny efficient machines, the french are forever on strike and that americans are fat, loud and over the top.

they have apologised though :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12361790
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thought police next............. :roll:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974

and this is where it gets him.

Precisely... it gets him being a very successful and quite rich man who seems to be having a lot of fun. His whole act is based on him being controversial and generally insulting. It's what he does. If he hadn't been doing it for all these years I doubt whether he'd still be very much in the public eye.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I hate all bar one of the aspects of TG but acknowledge that it is one of the most popular programmes on TV.

The one aspect I like (not that it is enough to make me watch it) is that fact that the presenters are real characters rather than the usual bland (but fully representative of the ethnical diversity of the UK) folks on the BBC. Here's to real people, love em or loathe em. Err, apart from Adam Rayner who is a sofa slug.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I don't mind it much, it is just jokes, but what annoys me a bit is that alot of media luvvies who make such jokes at others expense can often not handle jokes or criticism at their own expense. Fry seems to throw a tantrum every few months due to what someone says about him on twitter and Clarkson is very quick to pursue libel action over comments made about him on websites. Likewise Claire Balding - doesn't mind making cruel and condescending jokes to others, yet someone does the same to her and it is onto the lawyers straight away.

Dont dish it out if you cant take it.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Why can't Clarkson in particular just keep his fat mouth shut. He just loves himself doesn't he, and has to try and be funny (as always) and this is where it gets him. He's not funny; just a sarcastic baffoon.

Because he knows that an accidently/carfully planned comment will guarantee himself and Top Gear endless column inches, TV time and internet forum posts publicising the programme.

The cost of s stupid throwaway comment = an apology
    The cost of a PR campaign = millions

Those that are outgraged by it probably aren't going to be fans of his anyway, so he loses nothing.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Get a life OP. Ever heard of boosting ratings? Guaranteed next episode of TG will have an increase in viewers who will actively want Clarkson, May or the little fella to say something 'controversial' so they can complain.

Bloody hell, it's not as if they've not done it before - meant for effect and it works a treat.

Keep it up, Top Gear.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Have Japan apologized for their atrocities in the 30s and 40s yet (especially towards the Chinese, eg Unit 731)? If not, then I suggest they do so before complaining about a joke.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • All this talk of Mexicans is making me feel sleepy. :twisted:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    RichN95 wrote:
    Have Japan apologized for their atrocities in the 30s and 40s yet (especially towards the Chinese, eg Unit 731)? If not, then I suggest they do so before complaining about a joke.

Seems we are living in a world of apologies. During the communist partys' (I mean labour) last 13 years of c**p administration, they apologised for Britains participation in the slave trade.
    Do we have to make apologies now for all distant historical acts? What next
    will Italy have to apologise to the UK for the Roman invasion ?

On the topic of aplogising. When a bus is not in service, why do the have to
    say 'Sorry not in service'.? Surely 'Not in service' is sufficient.

Rant finished.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    It seems the whole world is having some kind of sense of humour failure
  • All this talk of Mexicans is making me feel sleepy. :twisted:

Make me feel like dancing on my hat
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    All this talk of Mexicans is making me feel sleepy. :twisted:

Thats because you're lazier than a mexican village. :lol:
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Lancslad wrote:

How dare you, I've been smuggling coke and re-frying beans all night! :D
  • Clarksons PA is so good he is even getting publicity on a cycling forum for something Hammond said. He merely commented that there would be no complaints as the ambassador would be asleep. :D
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Lancslad wrote:

How dare you, I've been smuggling coke and re-frying beans all night! :D[/quote

Any TRUE Mexican knows it's re-fried sick
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Mr Goo wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Seems we are living in a world of apologies. During the communist partys' (I mean labour) last 13 years of c**p administration, they apologised for Britains participation in the slave trade.

What Fry joked about was just as distant as the atrocities (which Japan refuse to acknowledge happened). My point was it was a bit rich of them getting worked up about a joke considering their own stance on that period.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The one aspect I like (not that it is enough to make me watch it) is that fact that the presenters are real characters rather than the usual bland (but fully representative of the ethnical diversity of the UK) folks on the BBC. Here's to real people, love em or loathe em. Err, apart from Adam Rayner who is a sofa slug.

Are you sure about that? It isn't as though all the blokey chatting and joking isn't scripted from start to finish. Whatever personalities they genuinely have, you are only seeing them act it on the screen.

As for Mexican food, come on, he had a point!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I love Top Gear for the cars of course but not for the presenters, popular they are winning awards here and there, but at what cost? Pointless.

Go watch something else then.....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Rolf F wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Are you sure about that? It isn't as though all the blokey chatting and joking isn't scripted from start to finish. Whatever personalities they genuinely have, you are only seeing them act it on the screen.

Ah, but I also like the line that there is only one office in the BBC in which one can smoke and that is Jeremy Clarkson's. I know it would be illegal under employment law and it is probably an urban myth but I just like the thought of someone poking the righteous in the eye. Don't get me wrong, can't stand any of the presenters but some of the stuff they come up with makes me laugh but I am not a lorry driver, caravan owner or a Mexican lorry driver towing a caravan..but I am ginger, gulp!
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

On the topic of aplogising. When a bus is not in service, why do the have to
    say 'Sorry not in service'.? Surely 'Not in service' is sufficient.

Rant finished.

I wonder how long it will take for Cameron to apologise for raping a country while his cabinet count their millions? Or Clegg for betraying the Lib....oh I can't be arsed with moaning about that little tw@.

Balancing counter-rant finished.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I was more shoked by the apparent fact that Mexico produce a car, even if it did look like a Smart Car.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    QI - it was irony which would be lost in translation.
    Top Gear- school boy humour and yet again a good bit of publicity for Top Gear.
    The whole episode of Top gear was full of it...... have the Aussies or Germans complained? If you don't like it don't watch it, have a look at Frankie Boyle and that'll give you something to moan about.
  • Far too many people have little respect for this country and even less respect for other people. :cry:
  • "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Richard Hammond is a lap dog to the buffoon Clarkson. If it were possible, I think he;d have his babies for him. Clarkson is an egotistical twat to put it mildly. Intelectually and mechanically inept and with as much takent as a hair dryer on full heat. In fact more hot hair comes out of his mouth than an Iranian nuclear power plant on full production. The one sane person from the presenters is James May who doesn't get a look in thanks to the gormless arse licker Hammond. Clarkson and Hammond really should grow up. It may be tongue in sheek "boys" humour, but the pair of them take themselves far too seriously. It was pleasing to see Carol Vordeman put Clarkson in his place with his plastic Doctorate.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    philthy3 wrote:
    Richard Hammond is a lap dog to the buffoon Clarkson. If it were possible, I think he;d have his babies for him. Clarkson is an egotistical fool to put it mildly. Intelectually and mechanically inept and with as much takent as a hair dryer on full heat. In fact more hot hair comes out of his mouth than an Iranian nuclear power plant on full production. The one sane person from the presenters is James May who doesn't get a look in thanks to the gormless ars* licker Hammond. Clarkson and Hammond really should grow up. It may be tongue in sheek "boys" humour, but the pair of them take themselves far too seriously. It was pleasing to see Carol Vordeman put Clarkson in his place with his plastic Doctorate.

Talentless...talentless?

That's why he's presenting one of the BBC's most successful shows and you are ranting about it on an internet forum :lol:
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    +1 Jez mon
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't fancy the chances of Top Gear's three amigos in a Tex-Mex restaurant.

How about by way of apology they do a Mexican wave?

What are the odds on one of their future childish escapades being carried out in ......................Mexico :roll: ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Stephen Fry is a luvvie. Anyway QI is scripted. SF reads out the cards occasionally embellishing them a little.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.