Out of control dog

Bowden2017
Bowden2017 Posts: 40
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone else had a dog cause a crash. Apparently the owner was training the dog to walk off the lead. Smart owner!!!!
I am ok apart from road rash, but £300 worth of damaged equipment. I'll let you know if he pays up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t0Ufesu ... tube_gdata
Cube Agree GTC SL
Trek 1.2
Old custom MTB

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    They shouldn't have any arguement about paying.
    Road Traffic Act 1988:

Under Section 27 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence for any person to cause or permit a dog to be on a designated road without the dog being held on a lead.

‘Designated road’ is defined in the Act.

When a dog is injured in an accident with a vehicle on a public road, the driver of the vehicle must stop for a length of time to enable any person entitled, to require the driver’s personal information.

If this does not happen, the driver must report the accident to the police as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours of the accident.

I presume you swapped details?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Wot Redvee said.

From what I could see, the dog must have run straight for you.

Were you doing the old TdF trick of putting a steak down your shorts to tenderise it? Dog smells raw steak and chases its next meal down!

Hope you're OK and get whats due to you.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Dog seemed to be OK. Only a puppy so bounced quite well!
    Cube Agree GTC SL
    Trek 1.2
    Old custom MTB
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Should be shot!

The owner that is, not the dog.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    I'm with the Koreans on dogs.

An incredible waste of nutritious food.
    Learned a new trick for when the stoopid dog is running with you and snapping at your heels: Bunny Hop, sideways with gusto and land with brakes on/locked wheels. It's akin to the way dogs react to each other and scares them off. 8)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • If a dog is chasing you, just stop. They won't think it's fun any more and will wander off.

Simples.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Dudu wrote:
    I'm with the Koreans on dogs.

An incredible waste of nutritious food.

Wanna know why there no North Korean Spaniels? because they're f*cking delicious, thats why!

On a more serious note: Hope you are okay after your incident, that looked like a hard tumble.

Yes, the dog owner is a complete d*ck. Off lead training should be done on a field or common and the dog should be responsive to it's name/a command for the dog to return to the owner before any walks are performed off the lead. It took Wilma (the infamous Border Collie) about a month of fairly intense training to get her fully responsive to a recall - a dogs instinct is always to pack with the owner, but to scavenge and be curious too - very difficult to break the curiosity.

Hope they pay up!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    If a dog is chasing you, just stop. They won't think it's fun any more and will wander off.....

+1 to that.

It's just a dog. Better to learn how to deal with them.

Cheers,
    W.
  • +1 to stopping to discourage dogs chasing you. Or of course you could just man up and out run the it. How fast can dogs run anyway...

You didn't stand a chance here tho OP. Suicidal dog missile straight into the side of you. Hope they pay up.
  • Oh, and what camera are you using OP?
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    If a dog is chasing you, just stop. They won't think it's fun any more and will wander off.

Simples.

Was the dog chasing him? I thought it looked like it just ran out and went under his wheel?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • i just looked at that and its exmouth. i know that raod. lots of dogs on the new cycle path at the bottom. hope it all gets sorted.
  • Thanks for all the comments. There was no chasing involved it was a kamikaze dog and numpty owner. Having reviewed the footage again you can clearly see the owner and child were paying the dog no attention whatsoever. First they knew about it was the yelp of the dog and crash of bike.
    And it is indeed Exmouth and I used Veho MUVI camera which I only took delivery of last week. Didn't expect to be filming curious incidents of dogs in the daytime quite so soon !
    Just to round my week off nicely I got a puncture on the way home today! Lets hope England can cheer me up!
    Cube Agree GTC SL
    Trek 1.2
    Old custom MTB
  • nah always come in three"s come on Wales.hope youre ok and get your cash :wink:
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    If a dog is chasing you, just stop. They won't think it's fun any more and will wander off.....

+1 to that.

It's just a dog. Better to learn how to deal with them.

Cheers,
    W.

I consider use of a shotgun to be more fun.
    The owner should be grateful you weren't a car/van
  • Thats one fast puppy,all the way from the far side of the road to under your front wheel before the camera saw it...
    always on a lead near the road. :wink:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    i have had issues with dogs in Exeter, mostly on the cycle path between the Sea Cadet unit near the gas works and the Double Locks. People seem to think they can let their anmials run wild and fell everything in their paths with total impunity

The last time it happened to me I ended up goiing over the handlebars as a dog ran in front of my front wheel. I ended up flat on my back in pain with another paesser by calling an ambulance while the owner told me they would be suing if I had injured their dog.

I was taken off in an ambulance, collared and boarded with a suspected back injury. Thankfully I had witnesses and while I am a dog lover I really did think 'f*** your dog, I may be f****** paralysed' at the time. :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • So the week may yet end on high. 13 - 6. C'mon England
    Cube Agree GTC SL
    Trek 1.2
    Old custom MTB
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Ouch! Any injuries? Have you been to the doctor to get yourself checked out? Solicitor?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    dilemna wrote:
    Solicitor?

See, this is one of the things that pisses me off about society today. For far too many people, litigation is amongst their first thoughts. OK, maybe for a serious injury that keeps me off work or something, I might seek compensation, but it seems to me these days that people will chase money just because they got a bit of a graze that made sitting down uncomfy for a week or two. I prefer to get up, dust myself down and get on with life. Mind you, I would expect the dog owner to cover costs of repairs to my bike.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I am not chasing any money. I just want the cost of the damge to kit and for the owner of the dog to learn his lesson and keep it on the lead. Next time he may have a dead dog!
    Cube Agree GTC SL
    Trek 1.2
    Old custom MTB
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Agent57 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Solicitor?

See, this is one of the things that pisses me off about society today. For far too many people, litigation is amongst their first thoughts. OK, maybe for a serious injury that keeps me off work or something, I might seek compensation, but it seems to me these days that people will chase money just because they got a bit of a graze that made sitting down uncomfy for a week or two. I prefer to get up, dust myself down and get on with life. Mind you, I would expect the dog owner to cover costs of repairs to my bike.

So you do want compo for bike repairs? Can't have it both ways pissed off man.

In fact instead if it had happened to you, I think you should scrape yourself up off the road, retrieve the dog, take it for a full medical at the vet to check it is ok and pay for any treatment, make a full apology to the dog owner and his son for riding over their pouch and offer them £500 for the distress you caused them and the dog.

The OP AFAIRC didn't give any indication of his injuries. Perhaps if you you broke your arm or leg in such circumstances and had to take 2,4 or 6 weeks off work you would want some recompense for lost earnings and pain and suffering of your injuries. Perhaps you couldn't pay your mortgage as well or keep up payments on your Cervelo?

:lol:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Agent57
    I already addressed those points. l2r ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • the video sounded nasty, hope you're ok. Love the rules of the road that was posted up excellent information.

I like the sound of stopping when a dog runs after you however also agree that it did obviously run out in front of you and the owner would be in the wrong if he/she did'nt pay up.

Another technique (created by Daveyroids) is if a dog does follow you keep a pace and entise it to chase you, a mile or so later burn it off. That will teach the owner, depending on how you feel :twisted:
  • Agent57
    Another technique (created by Daveyroids) is if a dog does follow you keep a pace and entise it to chase you, a mile or so later burn it off. That will teach the owner, depending on how you feel :twisted:

Yeah, but also quite irresponsible in its own right, as then you've an unleashed dog running around with no owner in the area to take responsibility for it.
  • Agent57 wrote:

Yeah, but also quite irresponsible in its own right, as then you've an unleashed dog running around with no owner in the area to take responsibility for it.

absolutely, it's fun though haha
  • Agent57
    :lol: