Who listens to Radio 4?

2»

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:
    Interesting.....

Think I'll go for Old Street.

Smoove move. I see your Old Street and I'll raise you a Bond Street.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Interesting.....

Think I'll go for Old Street.

Smoove move. I see your Old Street and I'll raise you a Bond Street.

By the skin of your teeth. You're lucky we're not playing the FUC revision of the SCR ruleset (has that left the RFC stage yet btw?).

Well I guess its going to have to be Bishopsgate.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    By the application of the Kandensky convention allied to the Schmidt protocol and under the new Barry Cryer regulation

*************** Mornington Crescent**********************
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Q quick overview:

Radio 1: The quality of music makes me vomit - even the so-called alternative bands are same-old-same-old, and the DJs are excessively interested in the sound of their own voices. Nein Danke.

R2: I used to love listening to Wogan in the morning, genuinely funny. Chris Evans sets my teeth on edge to never really listen to it.

R3: no idea. Fusty classical music listened to by people who think that music should be "challenging" and ideallly written over 120 years ago on a harpsichord. Next.

R4: I'll dip in, I like the news and some of the comedy has me in stitches, but other bits are so far up their own sphincter you can only see the feet poking out

R5: sadly, now we are talking - I'm a football fan so this is nirvana, moderately-intelligent news and plenty of the beautiful game. Get in.

R6-99 or whatever: we've only got a digital radio in the kitchen so don't really engage with them.

All local and commercial stations (bar XFM, sometimes): utter cack.

I feel so much better now I've had a rant!!!!!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    owenlars wrote:
    By the application of the Kandensky convention allied to the Schmidt protocol and under the new Barry Cryer regulation

:lol::lol::lol:

Nicely done, sir! Caught pootling and no mistake.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    owenlars wrote:

Chapeau sir!
  • EKE_38BPM
    rjsterry wrote:
    owenlars wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

Nicely done, sir! Caught pootling and no mistake.

Played like a pro.

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    cjcp wrote:
    Not all the time, but tuning into the Today show more and occasionally catch some comedy shows. Twice in the last week I've listened to something like "Farming Weekly" pre-6am while on the turbo. Sheer WTH curiosity prevented me changing channels!

So, EKE, you need to add another section to your poll.

That's what I listen to every morning - I'm out the door at 6.

It used to be more WTH, when it was twice as long and spent 15-mins giving spot prices for pork futures etc...
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Radio 4 for the today programme and comedy I also love PM on Fridays.
    Radio 6 for wide range of good tunes.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Yes, I have it on pretty much constantly,and have done since I was a student (a long, long time ago).

Happened to catch this on the school run on Wednesday too. Laurie Taylor talking about the bike in society, first part of the programme.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00y2sj7/Thinking_Allowed_02_02_2011
  • 4 5 6 & 7. TV isn't the reason I pay my licence
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    4 & 6 for me.

Today, News Quiz, Shipping Forecast, Sailing By... mmm

Bring back Adam & Joe.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    bunter wrote:
    Sailing By... mmm

I miss the UK theme in the morning.

My radio used to wake me to this and I knew I had to turn it off before it started playing Rule Britannia, or my wife got annoyed... if it got to What shall we do with the drunken sailor it was annoying.

It certainly used to wake me up (and mess with my head). I think my wife is happier that she isn't woken to that anymore.

Actually waking up to the World Service and this was also quite "bracing", and the phrase at the end "This ...Is.. London" seems gloriously outdated.

I also knew it was a long day if I heard both the morning theme, and sailing by.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    jimmypippa wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Not all the time, but tuning into the Today show more and occasionally catch some comedy shows. Twice in the last week I've listened to something like "Farming Weekly" pre-6am while on the turbo. Sheer WTH curiosity prevented me changing channels!

So, EKE, you need to add another section to your poll.

That's what I listen to every morning - I'm out the door at 6.

It used to be more WTH, when it was twice as long and spent 15-mins giving spot prices for pork futures etc...

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bunter wrote:
    4 & 6 for me.

Today, News Quiz, Shipping Forecast, Sailing By... mmm

Bring back Adam & Joe.

Sailing By is probably one of those tunes that splits the audience in two. In my book, it's a god-awful tune, played abysmally, and its only saving grace is the way the producer tried to rescue the dirge by imprisoning a couple of flute players in an echo chamber until they eventually got their parts right. Yet others simply love it.

And that unnecessarily militaristic arrangement of God Save the Queen isn't much better either.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I do love the shipping forecast, especially in bad weather. I lie in my nice, warm bed and imagine fishermen on trawlers getting thrown about. My bed instantly feels warmer and more comfortable. I then fall asleep in no time!

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    My GF loves it but most of the time it just winds me up. Smug, inward-looking, self-important. Desert Island Discs fawning over politicians, John Humphries makes me grind my teeth and don't get me started on the Archers.

That said there is the odd good snippet and I did hear a play on there once I quite liked but generally, no.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Best radio I found in the last 37 years searching in 3 different countries.

Today
    The food program
    The World at 1:00 o'clock
    Just a minute
    The incredible truth
    Moneybox
    Gardener's time
    The bottom line
    The Archers

Best radio channel
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    jimmypippa wrote:
    bunter wrote:
    Sailing By... mmm

I miss the UK theme in the morning.
    I've got the last one recorded on Mini-Disc. Trouble is I haven't got a working MD player now, not since the bag-full-of-gadgets / bottle-of-water-with-loose-top incident in Cyprus a few years ago. MD, video camera, iPod. Knacked, every one of them. :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    One thing I really love about Radio 4 is the randomness of some of the programmes.

A few weeks ago there was a spoken word poet on Women's Hour (which is only really 42 minutes long) and the poet performed one of her poems over the backing of a Taskforce (underground UK hip-hop track).

You won't hear that anywhere else.

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I generally set my alarm to around 5am....fall asleep at about 5:25am when the Shipping forecast comes on :lol:

I am terrible at that time of the morning, not because I can't get up, but because as a child if I had a restless nights sleep my mother would put radio 4 on at the time of the shipping forecast as is was the only means to get me to sleep. To this day there is still something restful and poetic to it.

I am going to be screwed if I am on the early watch on TS Royalist this year and have to listen to the Shipping forecast :shock:

I stopped listening to radio 2 at the start of Janurary. Just the very thought of having my alarm going off to the sound of Vanessa Feltz makes me want to punch something repeatdly and violently...Jake would be in the line of fire followed by Nelson the Cat. I don't think either would like it to be honest.

I have as a result got into listening to the Today Programme, PM, The News Quiz, Just a Minute and even The Archers (that theme tune should be the national anthem!! :lol: ) and since the announcement of Radcliffe and Marconi moving to Radio 6 Music, I have no reason to go back to Radio 2 in the immediate future.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Oh and I will point out that I was so disgusted that my SEA Cadets didn't know what the shipping forecast was (I will say that again SEA CADETS!!!!) that I may have let a swear word slip out in front of minors :oops:

Honestly I was actually socked they didn't know what the shipping forecast was. :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    R4, all the way!
    I started listening to it when I first went to work in Paris - I specially bought a multi-band radio so I could still get an English-language station on LW !
    Got attached to it so the Today programme has been my morning listening ever since. When living in the States, NPR came close but not the same.
    I've recently acquired a DAB radio and Planet Rock is great for cooking to...but the rest of the time it's R4. It's what I pay my TV licence for.
    Misguided Idealist