FUC this morning

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I've tried a few times but today I managed to do it for the first time. My first ever FUC! And it felt goooood.

A FUC is a Foot Up Commute.
I didn't have to touch tarmac for the whole commute in. FUCing is easier on the way home for me but FUCing on the way in is harder due to traffic, traffic lights and gradient.

Have you ever had a FUC?

The acronym "FUC" has been copyrighted. Anyone using the acronym will be charged one pint at any SCR pub meets. Subsequent infringements will be charged at one double measure of Jameson and ginger.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Pretty much every day. :) It's only about a mile and a half though, and no lights.
  • EKE_38BPM
    whyamihere wrote:
    Pretty much every day. :) It's only about a mile and a half though, and no lights.

Down hill both ways with a guaranteed tailwind too?!?

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    whyamihere wrote:

20 miles no lights and 99% of the time no stopping 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Down hill both ways with a guaranteed tailwind too?!?
    Of course. And, what's more, when I get there, I simply have a nice sit down for a few minutes, then go and waste taxpayer money in the boozer.

</student stereotypes>
  • I get a good FUC pretty much every morning and night. 9.5 miles each way along a b road with only 2 junctions and one set of lights.... I don't rlj either.....
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • no chance of a FUC in east london
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • One time I FUC from London Bridge to sunny Hither Green. Did not jump any lights just hit everything perfectly. I was knackered as rely on the odd stop for a rest.

Never done it again. Never really got anywhere near.

What are your rules? Mine are:

1. No RJL
    2. No trackstanding ( very slow approach only)
    3 No leaning on railings.
    4 er thats it...
  • EKE_38BPM
    no chance of a FUC in east london

Thats the challenge.

Maybe FUCing needs rules. How about these to start:
    5 mile minimum
    Within the M25
    Leaning on street furniture, trees or other vehicles not allowed.

This gets rid of the extremely short commutes and people riding in the sticks.
    My low speed balance has improved no end and I can now trackstand on positive (up hill) gradients (I'm not on a fixie).

• Now that my track standing skills appear to have completely disappeared, FUCing will only get me about 200 metres, whereupon I FOG up. (Foot On Ground).
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    For me a totally uninterrupted FUC lasting about an hour. Pure joy. Then I have to do it all again in the evening. Who said cycling wasn't fun? 8)
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No chance for me. A set of TLs every 1/2 mile on average for my 8 mile commute.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Thats the challenge.

5 mile minimum
    Within the M25

My low speed balance has improved no end and I can now trackstand on positive (up hill) gradients (I'm not on a fixie).

Edit to the rules:
    Within the M25 or other urban areas (I suppose people in the provinces should be allowed to play) but none of this "I ride 200 miles each way and only have one zebra crossing" lark.
    No RLJ - That should be taken for granted.
    Trackstanding is allowed. Extra kudos for doing it if you have a freewheel.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Thats the challenge.

5 mile minimum
    Within the M25

Edit to the rules:
    Within the M25 or other urban areas (I suppose people in the provinces should be allowed to play) but none of this "I ride 200 miles each way and only have one zebra crossing" lark.
    No RLJ - That should be taken for granted.
    Trackstanding is allowed. Extra kudos for doing it if you have a freewheel.

Admit it, you're just FUCing jealous of us country types with our daily non-stop commutes :wink:

12 miles, not even stopping most days never mind mind foot up 8) or at least it would be if I was on the damn bike
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Does leaning on cars or street furniture count as cheating?
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Cant remember the last time I put my foot down on the commute...oh it was the temporary traffic lights they put up about six months ago for a week :P
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Have you ever had a FUC?

Not since I took the stabilisers off :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Did it once when I lived in Balham - Fenchurch St to Balham with no foot down is no mean feat. My cleat bolts had somehow come loose so once I'd managed to get clipped in I just decided to leave my feet in place. It may have involved some liberal interpretation of traffic priority signalling - obviously I wouldn't do anything like that now!

Another interesting one is OOTSC (out of the saddle commute). I managed to go from Elephant & Castle to Clapham North trying to keep the weight off my back wheel due to a flat tyre, its a pretty gruelling work out!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Not a chance for me: 14 miles through umpteen sets of lights (including a couple of long-change temp lights) and I can't trackstand for toffee. I am getting better at anticipating lights and approaching reds slow enough to still be moving when they go green.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I do this occasionally - 10 miles through Glasgow, traffic lights every couple of hundered metres on a road bike with badly adjusted gears & a fair bit of toe overlap... yes I have fallen over sideways a'la Del Boy through the bar, but only once - you soon learn to unclip quickly when that happens. :oops: Gives you something to do at lights I suppose!

For those in need of trackstanding practice - it helps to position the bike against the natural gradient of the road, so that if you stopped you'd slowly roll backwards - come to a gentle halt & when you start to roll backwards, a gentle push forwards on the pedals until you find a balance point, then if you start to lose it, let it roll back slightly then push forwards gently again. Repeat ad nauseum. Try not to roll too far forwards or backwards doing this or you'll end up with your cranks in the 6 o'clock position, which is not conducive in maintaining an effective trackstand.

Extra points for doing this seated, one handed or drinking from a bottle.
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm apalling at getting my feet into the toe straps so if I don't have a FUC in the morning I'm grumpy all day. As for FUCing going home at the end of the working slog, nothing better.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've tried a few times but today I managed to do it for the first time. My first ever FUC! And it felt goooood.

A FUC is a Foot Up Commute.
    I didn't have to touch tarmac for the whole commute in. FUCing is easier on the way home for me but FUCing on the way in is harder due to traffic, traffic lights and gradient.

Have you ever had a FUC?

The acronym "FUC" has been copyrighted. Anyone using the acronym will be charged one pint at any SCR pub meets. Subsequent infringements will be charged at one double measure of Jameson and ginger.

Ladies and Gentlemen. The new DondaddyD.
    knighting.jpg
    Arise DonEKE
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • *leans back to allow the DDD ego to pass* :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    *leans back to allow the DDD ego to pass* :wink:

So is DDD the burd in the white dress? :?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    Nah it's LiT.

I'm the fat block in the back with the beard.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    CarlosDSanchez
    Drysuitdiver
    Simon the Pieman
    Deptford Marmoset
    Dilemna
    Kieran_Burns

You all owe me a pint.

SimonAH, you owe me a double Jameson and Ginger.

Its obvious none of you read the warning clearly written (in white on a white background) in my original post.

DDD, thanks but no thanks.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I'm sat here trying to work out how to negotiate the gates to Bushy Park without putting a foot down or leaning on them. Any body got a teleport device?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Bit of a barren spell to be honest not managed a FUC for an age.

Managed a WANC though this morning (wet and neverending commute).

:D

I'll get my coat...
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Very rarely put a foot down - but my commute does involve an awful lot of trackstanding.
  • DonDaddyD
    Well I never!?

I'm hurt DonEKE
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    If he's DonEKE then who is Sancho Pista?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides