OT!!!... New MTB frame questions...

2»

Comments

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    If you can get something like a Fox RP2 for the NRS 1 then it might transform it.

My full-suss bikes are all fairly old (2003 for my Epic and 2004 for both my Enduros) but have continued to improve with more modern kit attached. My '04 S-Works Enduro has had it's original "brain" shock replaced with an RP2 plus a nice set of American Classic wheels, SLX drivetrain and 120mm Fox Floats and is still up there with more modern bikes for weight and performance.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    niblue wrote:
    If you can get something like a Fox RP2 for the NRS 1 then it might transform it.

My full-suss bikes are all fairly old (2003 for my Epic and 2004 for both my Enduros) but have continued to improve with more modern kit attached. My '04 S-Works Enduro has had it's original "brain" shock replaced with an RP2 plus a nice set of American Classic wheels, SLX drivetrain and 120mm Fox Floats and is still up there with more modern bikes for weight and performance.

Agree that they can still be up there with the more modern machines, but ultimately, at what cost?...
    A bit like hanging on to an old car...Just a bit of cash to get throught the MOT, then a bit more, then... Well you know where that's going...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    hopper1 wrote:
    Agree that they can still be up there with the more modern machines, but ultimately, at what cost?...
    A bit like hanging on to an old car...Just a bit of cash to get throught the MOT, then a bit more, then... Well you know where that's going...

It can definitely go that way - my Epic is like that. It started out as the base model which I bought at the tail end of 2003 in the sales for £1K. The only things original on it now though are the frame, shock, headset and the front mech (an LX one that just won't die). I hate to think what's been spent on it since then - full XTR, nice wheels, about 3 sets of forks, lots of carbon! At least it was done gradually though.

The Enduro isn't so bad as it was mostly 2nd hand bits.