Headcams on BBC Breakfast

1235»

Comments

• BSRU wrote:
    Unfortunately this is not true, a motorised vehicle cannot overtake another motorised vehicle whilst inside the zig zag area. It is perfectly legal for a car to overtake a cyclist in the zig zag area.
    A motorised vehicle cannot overtake a stationary vehicle, including cyclists, which is waiting for pedestrians to cross....
    Coast slowly up to zebra crossing. Wait for car to overtake you. Slam on your brakes - instant ZCJ offence! :twisted:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    In a years worth of commuting I've felt the need to slap the side of a vehicle twice after being put in unnecessary danger. On both occasions they stopped to confront me (they really don't like you touching their precious car). I calmly explained to them why I'd felt the need to get their attention. The first one just ranted at me. Second one accused me of taking up too much of the road (I wasn't) and so I'd wasted precious seconds of his life as he couldn't overtake me. Drivers like that are bullies and the only way you'll teach a bully to behave is to confront them.

+1
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I'm surprised that the issue of legailty has been brought up. Here or on any other forum / area of discussion of the topic.

I have a popular youtube page and i get many comments about it being against the law to use a video camera and post numberplats etc.. online. When actually it is perfectly legal to do so.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Out of interest, why do TV programmes make such a song and dance about obscuring then then?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    rjsterry wrote:
    Out of interest, why do TV programmes make such a song and dance about obscuring then then?

Because it's useful for people cloning number plates to avoid insurance and road charging. Rather than walk around looking for identical cars they can see them sitting at home. Also I strongly suspect its probably just a trend that started on the odd program and spread because it's easy to do in editing now.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    rjsterry wrote:

The difference is broadcasting for commercial gain I think.
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    rjsterry wrote:

Because the data protection act only applies to companies and the vehicle owner could sue them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Even though it's publicly displayed data :? That does sound like the most likely explanation.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Interesting that almost all the discussion here is about the van driver. Obviously dangerous and highly unpleasant, but I would tend to the view that best to avoid winding up aggressive drivers of white vans. But he was prosecuted.

I actually thought the really scary bit was the truck on the roundabout, and apparently the driver wasn't even prosecuted.

The car coming on to the roundabout and hitting the cyclists already on it was too close to my incident, which knocked me out and bits still hurt 7 months later - he got off with a couple of driver awareness sessions or some such and the police ignored my suggestion he did Bikeability 3.