WTF price increases at CRC

2»

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    s'why i bought everything for this year around xmas time. next time i'll be buying anything bike related will be this coming xmas
  • Alex1988
    Alex1988 Posts: 109
    Same ^

I picked everything up for my build December '10/ January '11, saved a lot by doing this!
    exercise.png
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    ... claw back some of the increase using the cashback link below - 4% at CRC and Wiggle
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I think the price increases must be for the postage and packing - I have just received a cassette lockring in a box the size of a phone directory :?
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    .blitz wrote:
    I think the price increases must be for the postage and packing - I have just received a cassette lockring in a box the size of a phone directory :?
    indeed, a colleague ordered a messenger bag and it came in large box with lots of brown paper, when a plastic packet would have been fine.
    complete opposite of ordering tyres from customriders (bmx) and getting them folded up in a taped up bin-bag.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Think I ordered some grips from them and they arrived in a plain brown envelope.

Keepin' it real :)
  • Shimano parts are still fairly cheap at bike-discount.de in comparison to CRC. Here are some price examples on cranksets.

M660 crankset:
    CRC: 126 £
    BD: around 77 £

M770 crankset:
    CRC: 166 £
    BD: around 110 £

M980 crankset:
    CRC: 371£
    BD: around 298 £
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    .blitz wrote:

I brought some m520 spuds from CRC and they came in a box exactly like u describe whereas before they always came in a padded white envelope.
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    same i think they must only have one size of box for everything now. I got disc bolts in a huge box today. I know the new packaging must be recylable compared to the old plastic envelopes but a plain envalope would have done the job fine and would have fitted through my letterbox.
  • tredz prices appear to be good
    My blog: http://kevincampbellsblog.blogspot.com
    Follow my biking journeys and my path in photography and you will also be able to read about much more too including reviews, and all sorts of random rubbish that may amuse or interest you
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    I agree about the bike prices £2000.00 only gets you something average these days.

Yep. I was looking at the 2011 EX8 and was pretty shocked to see it costs £300 more than the 2010 model, especially when NOTHING has been upgraded (rear mech is even SLX now, rather than XT)...

Dont what bike you've seen, but it's now 10 speed as opposed to 9, and the rear mech is still XT

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... /fuelex8e/
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • Rindle wrote:
    same i think they must only have one size of box for everything now. I got disc bolts in a huge box today. I know the new packaging must be recylable compared to the old plastic envelopes but a plain envalope would have done the job fine and would have fitted through my letterbox.

I bought a chain from CRC 2 weeks ago and it came in a box 10 times the size and volume of the chain! Usually I expect a jiffy bag to be posted through the letterbox so I don't have to be in. Luckily I was in the house and was greatly amused as the postie handed me this large box.

I think CRC is cashing in on the good results of being the best online store in a recent survey.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    some things have gone up but there are some substantial discounts (quoted ~ 50% and cheaper than i can find elsewhere on a few items) listed as special offers.

some of the stuff listed as heavily discounted i've bought, then its gone straight to discontinued or been removed, guess these are the last few items of 2010 stock that they are clearing out. still some real bargains to be had IMO
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I recently bought some disk pads from CRC and they came in the mahoosive box as mentioned elsewhere, and also two chainrings that came in another box.

They've probably done a deal with a packaging company, but it is a little short sighted as now boxes don't fit through letter boxes and people will get fed up of having to collect parcels for small items, when previously it was a jiffy bag dropped through the door.

And as much as I really didn't want to do it, when I recently upgraded my drivetrain it was around £80 cheaper to use Bike Discount in Germany than either CRC or Merlin.

This was only on a £300 order (UK prices for Shimano), and I couldn't justify the extra for buying in Britain.

I am all for supporting the UK economy, but it doesn't seem to be helping itself at the moment with rises and differences such as that :(