BBC 1 News

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Are running a piece about cyclist's and mounted cameras. Some of the footage is shocking - enough to put the fear of God into anyone considering riding. Some real idiots out there! Did any of you watch it?

Comments

• Missed it due to the school run, caught the last ten seconds or so.
  • VERY worrying - anyone know what camera they were using? Footage was good quality & I want to get one! Too many SMIDSYs about & looks like it provides useful evidence if the worst happens...
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    A few forumites (myself included) have noticed that some of the riders wearing helmet-cams appears to 'find' more trouble/incidents/problems than the average rider.

Draw your own conclusions from that - there is lots of discussion on it on the Commuting Chat area.
  • Just watching the replay. This makes my blood boil.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • gethmetal wrote:
    Missed it due to the school run, caught the last ten seconds or so.
    It'll be on the BBC News website somewhere.
  • What makes my blood boil is that we get some coverage for the second time in as many weeks and you still see absolute idiots RLJing at junctions which seems to becoming a contagious disease at the moment..

Its days like today when people are going to take note of what cyclists are doing on the roads and certain people let the side down...
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Obviously a bit of an angry van driver there who doesn't think about a bike once he's passed it, like quite a number of drivers in my experience.

On the other hand if I was in that cyclists position I would have applied those stoppy things.....brakes I think they are called, and dropped off behind him and/or moved to the left where there was room. I certainly wouldn't have ridden along on his nearside after the corner.

Methinks Monkeypump has a point.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Quite why people don't ride their bikes, knowing they are the lowest of the low, is beyond me.

I NEVER assume I'm in the right, or 'he wouldn't do that', 'he must have seen me', I take whatever action is needed to stop me from being killed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah. I went through a similar phase - looking for the argument that a van driver was only to willing to give. I was rarely in the wrong, but I deliberately wouldn't try to avoid the escalation.

Eventually I realised, after one to many threats that there wasn't any point - so I chilled out, arrived at my destination 2 minutes later and was plenty more relaxed.
  • CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • gethmetal wrote:
    Missed it due to the school run, caught the last ten seconds or so.
    It'll be on the BBC News website somewhere.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12330181
  • If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • And for a heated debate...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12149696
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    dizzydane wrote:
    And for a heated debate...

Adam Rayner again......

Bob
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    dizzydane wrote:

Yes, now that one did annoy me.

Shall we say 'rather large bloke' on a sofa saying bikes should have number plates/insurance etc so that they are 'accountable' and the news presenter arguing for it too.

Accountable for what? If I damaged something/somebody with my bike I'd stop and sort it out like anyone with any common sense.

Number plates??? Really???
    Next it will be windscreens, wiper blades, seatbelts....oooh look it's a car with two wheels!

Rant :?
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Mike67 wrote:
    Next it will be windscreens, wiper blades, seatbelts....oooh look it's a car with two wheels!

We call them 'motorcycles' and dumb motorists and wagon drivers still wipe them out and say 'SMIDSY'.

Yes, some hoodies do require road sense beaten into them (whether they drive a eurobox or pedel a BMX). But damn, there's a lot of motorists that need to be taught that we ALL own the road and deserve protection.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Believe me when i say cyclists have it easy! Try being a Skateboarder on the road, that is an absolute nightmare.

100_0109.jpg

Wrong side of the road because it's in Norway.

I don't mean 'skateboard', but longboard, which an increasing number of people use for serious travel. I've been driven off the road, shouted at, had things thrown at me, been hit by a taxi (actually my own fault lol), had my gear ran into because the driver was impatient...not to mention the good old fashion drivers seeing how closethey can get to scare the s**t out of you.

Sayin that, i'm not entirely against the idea of insurance....[/img][/url]
  • Number plates and insurance? Blow me.

In the age of getting annoyed when your computer takes more that 45 seconds to power on, a cyclist is just another annoyance in your desire to arrive at work 5 seconds quicker.

The motorist is to blame in 98% of cases, im sure in towns the riders take risks in traffic, but generally we're just riding. We dont have to ride in the gutter, you dont have to play chicken with the traffic island while trying to squeeze into that gap, god forbid you need to slow down for a moment.

We do no damage to the environment (im not counting the carbon footprint when building and shipping the bikes), no damage to the roads. Plates and insurance leaves it open for more charges, where does it stop? Passing a test to be allowed to ride? tax?
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    To be fair to Adam Rayner, you have to respect the fact that he actually fits in a car let alone operate one .
  • Wow, there is a bit online today on this guys story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12334486

At least drivers are being prosecuted - this increased publicity will hopefully make any careless driver think twice before pushing you off the road next time...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    DCowling wrote:
    To be fair to Adam Rayner, you have to respect the fact that he actually fits in a car let alone operate one .

I would have thought he is more likely to absorb one, amoeba-like, by surrounding it with his butt.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    probably his only form of exercise.
  • I've been hit (in car) by an uninsured and unregistered driver and a colleagues husband had 4 months of statements & grief after his cloned registration was in a serious hit and run 200 miles away.

Licencing, Insurance & number plates works all the time for cars doesn't it.
  • Mike67 wrote:
    Obviously a bit of an angry van driver there who doesn't think about a bike once he's passed it, like quite a number of drivers in my experience.

On the other hand if I was in that cyclists position I would have applied those stoppy things.....brakes I think they are called, and dropped off behind him and/or moved to the left where there was room. I certainly wouldn't have ridden along on his nearside after the corner.

Methinks Monkeypump has a point.

Indeed – pedantry can get you killed.

If I'm approaching such a corner, especially if it is one used regularly (so able to anticipate a sitauation that might requiring caution) I always check behind to assess what's coming up behind me. Then either drop back so the van gets in first (better to have him in front so you can keep an eye on him, but not so good if others are tailgating him into the corner) or, if there's enough distance, speed up and beat him into the corner so he can't take my line (a bit like MotoGP – what the van driver did initially was like a Valentino Rossi late-braking pass into a corner).
  • I've been hit (in car) by an uninsured and unregistered driver and a colleagues husband had 4 months of statements & grief after his cloned registration was in a serious hit and run 200 miles away.

1 in 20 drivers are uninsured, a figure that gets even worse for young drivers (1 in 5).
  • Are running a piece about cyclist's and mounted cameras. Some of the footage is shocking - enough to put the fear of God into anyone considering riding. Some real idiots out there! Did any of you watch it?
    Immediately made me want to purchase a camera. First thing on the purchase list.
  • Mike67 wrote:
    dizzydane wrote:

Yes, now that one did annoy me.

The cycling advocate also annoyed me a bit, with her generalisations about cyclists being uninsured. I guess both don't fully represent the wide diversity of peiople both in cars and on bikes, so they reduce the debate to a pair of familar stereotypes.
  • Yeah. I went through a similar phase - looking for the argument that a van driver was only to willing to give. I was rarely in the wrong, but I deliberately wouldn't try to avoid the escalation.

I know what you mean. In my case these kinds of situations occurred in my first year of riding in London. Basically there is an element of anxiety-fuelled aggression involved that, along with the actual inexperience of riding on unfamilar busy urban roads, means a novice urban cyclist can make inappropriate decisons.

Got to learn to be calm and aware of potential hazards and have appropriate strategies for avoiding trouble (both riding skills and route choices). Riding in London is like getting into a cage with wild animals.

OK, that's enough in this thread. 8)
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    edited February 2011
    average day today - forced off the road by a UPS delivery man who seemed to think that if his side of the road is obstructed by a parked car, that a cyclist should give way; this seems to be a common problem around here

an hour later though, i breezed past a commuter on a road bike on the way into cambridge, which I don't think he liked because the next set of lights he jumped red a good 15 seconds after it had changed - presumably to get one over on me :roll: knob jockey

ps - that Rayner fellow looks like a sea cow in human clothing who's managed to wallow onto a sofa, you almost have to pity him
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange

That's always been my standard response to the cry for licensing etc of cyclists, let me know when it's enforced properly for cars then I may consider discussing it.