Adjustable Seat Post`s ???????

swiftyx2
swiftyx2 Posts: 203
edited February 2011 in MTB buying advice
People,

Hi all looking for some advice and encouragement !!,

Looking at getting one and struggling with which one and the cost of them!.
Looking at what is available I think the longer travel ones would fit my requirements more and like idea of remote control.

So come on folks reccommend me one and please justify the cost, lol "need to talk other half around".

Thanks
Steve
Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
Marin Attack Trail 6.8
Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
Trek 6500
Bianchi Carbon

Comments

• RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    I run a KS i900 which is great. I have the standard manual non remote version. The ability to change the height without stopping is brilliant, yes they are expensive but I reckon they are worth it. It just really adds to the flow of your riding. You can get them for about £190 which is one of the cheapest as well
  • I have a gravity dropper 3" drop with a 1" stop and a remote lever.

About a year ago I had quite a bad off and really lost confidence over technical terrain. I found I was stopping to lower the saddle for stuff and then having to stop and raise it back up again, so much so that I simply wouldn't bother and would end up walking stuff.
    The gravity dropper was the only realistically priced option as I have a 27.2mm requirement.

I have to say this post has transformed my riding, because I can drop the saddle when required I do so less and less and my confidence has really returned. You can have the seat set at the optimum height for efficiency and then drop an inch for twisty single track to give yourself more room to move around the bike, or the full 3" for a techie decent. And all on the move with a simple press of a lever on the bars.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They are great things, although they are also ludicrously expensive.
    You may not need as much travel as you think. I've got the Joplin 4, which has 4" of adjustment. But, when I'm flying down cliffs, or doing something stupid, I like to have my saddle totally lowered as far as it will go.
    With the Joplin, I can do almost my entire riding with it in it's normal position, and using the 4" of adjustment for descending, or drops etc, but, I can still lowerd the post completely out of the way for crazy things.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i wouldnt want to ride off road without one.

i have a gravity dropper which is ok but ihave owned a number of joplins which were each super dooper.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    A drop post was the biggest upgrade ever on my bike. I would prefer to give back suspension than a drop post.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I have a Rockshox Reverb and its excellent...not cheap mind
  • i wouldnt want to ride off road without one.

i have a gravity dropper which is ok but ihave owned a number of joplins which were each super dooper.

Very much agree with this.

It's one of those things that once you get one, you wonder how you ever managed to get through a ride without it.

You really need the remote version for it to properly make sense too.

Remember, you may be limited as to which model you can get by your seat tube width.
  • sheepsteeth
    i cant think of an example of a person on this forum who bought one and didnt love what they do for your bike, even those who were staunch objectors due to the price.
  • Anonymous
    The price is friggin mental though.
  • The price is a big hurdle. Once you get one you know it's worth it, but it's a lot of money to splash out just to giev it a bash.

I was lucky enough to get my first one (Joplin) VERY cheap from CRC in the sale and then add a remote kit seperately. Had I not done that, I may have still been debating if it's worth it.

I'll certainly not mind so much when it comes to paying full price for the next one.
  • Well... I tried my Joplin for the 1st time today.

itsfriggingawesome/10

Didn't notice the side to side movement that everyone bangs on about at all.

Easily maneuvered into the height I want it.

It means that when my seatpost is at full height, it is always at the right height. I always had problems getting my normal seatpost into a comfortable position when returning it to full height, something I hadn't even considered.
  • Anonymous
    The price is a big hurdle. Once you get one you know it's worth it
    See, as much as I love the joplin, it is in NO WAY worth the price they're asking. I only got one because I was feeling particularly flush.
  • The joplin is now my most favorite part on my bike after my forks.
  • sheepsteeth
    The joplin is now my most favorite part on my bike after my forks.

:lol:
  • The joplin is now my most favorite part on my bike after my forks.

:lol:

i know...... i know..... :lol: :twisted:
  • sheepsteeth
    they are good though arent they. i dotn actually see why they cost so much, especally in the case of the gravity dropper, its orrible.
  • swiftyx2
    Thanks for the info gents,

After reading all your posts it seems all plus points for them and only cost is an issue.
    Now it's down to which one to get after reading the shoot out in MBR the Rock Shox one wins but they all have there own good points. I like the KS 950i and the remote it has (can replace lock-on). I also like the look of the Joplin4 and the fact it's serviceable by yourself, the Reverb looks good does all it's supposed to do but has not been out long so no long term tests done?.
    Any things you really like about yours or it's features and how easy it is to maintain could you please let me know.

Thanks again,

Steve
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • Yup... like CWNT said though, I wouldn't pay the retail price for one.

But then again, the seapost it replaced is selling at £115... and I DEFIANTLY wouldn't even consider buying one with my own money.
  • sheepsteeth
    i liked the joplin cause it works well, is serviceable and looks better than its competitors.

the gravity dropper is ugly as sin, isnt as intuitive to use and feels more agricultural.

the thing that would put me off with the reverb is the hydraulic hose, i like to run my posts with a long cable so it can be routed under the bottom bracket, it wouldnt be so easy to extend the length of a hyd hose as it is to swap for a longer length of inner and outer gear cable.
  • Anonymous
    I know literally nothing about the reverb, apart from that it's made by rockshox. And the fact that it is made by rockshox suggests to me that it might be the only adjustable seatpost currently out that has sealing that works :lol:
  • Garry73
    Garry73 Posts: 116
    Just fitted my new reverb and been out for the first ride, Great bit of kit. However you need to shorten the hydrolic cable and bleed the system out of the box.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Ks is user servicable (up to a point) as well.

The main advantage for me is the ability to change the style of your bike so fast.
    You can have your seat at full efficient pedal height (not a couple of CM off you get with normal post#) then with one click it is down and out of the way letting you move and have control over the bike.

for me it is a big safety thing, no more being bucked over the bars.

Remote lever is important, but I would not pay for one. I just used an old V-brake.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Garry73 wrote:
    Just fitted my new reverb and been out for the first ride, Great bit of kit. However you need to shorten the hydrolic cable and bleed the system out of the box.

I do think that the hydraulic system on a reverb offers no benefit over the cable on a joplin tbh.

Does it still work in the same way? push the lever, sit on the seat to lower it?
  • Really? Given that one of the primary issues with all the other posts is the cable jamming up and causing the mechanism to stick?

The other being excessive play/poor sealing!!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Course, Sheeps bought the old model Gravity Dropper not the Turbo, which is lighter and easier to use. But still looks like it was made in a medieval forge by a blind blacksmith.

OTOH my i900R looks lovely, it just hasn't ever worked properly. Maybe I'll feel more positive about that if they can fix it but just now I'd say buy something else. Reverb seems like the winner, yes it's stupidly expensive but so is the competition, it's just a matter of degrees.

Dropper seatposts are awesome, you never appreciate this so much as when you have one and can't use it (because you stupidly got one with no remote and now you can't take your hands off the bars without being killed) or it's stuck. I even stick my Gravity Dropper in the rigid bike, it's got no suspension and not enough gears but it's the dropper I miss the most when it's not there.

They're terrible value in terms of price vs production cost I suspect but great in terms of results for spend.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sheepsteeth
    i got a very nice email reply from the people at gravity dropper, new shims are on the way but they did give me the option of sending it back to them for a replacement.

once fixed i may well re-visit my opinion of the GD but even a sack over both of our heads isnt going to make the bloody thing look any better!

i agree with the above sentiment about missing it when riding a bike without one, they are my favourite advance in biking technology since rear suspension.
  • Really? Given that one of the primary issues with all the other posts is the cable jamming up and causing the mechanism to stick?

The other being excessive play/poor sealing!!!

its only the same as gear cable though? and it does a lot less than a gear cable has to do!
  • sheepsteeth
    i hadnt heard of the cable being a problem as much as the sealing issues.
  • swiftyx2
    Thanks for all the info folks,

Well I think after reading all your inputs and opinions my choice will be the "Reverb",
    The hydraulic actuation & adjustability together with Rockshox knowledge when it comes to "sealing" things!!!!!!!. All this together I think is the best option when it comes to spending my hard earned cash.

All the best,
    Steve.
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon