Training with ankle weights...

trtimothy
trtimothy Posts: 117
edited February 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,

Basically I saw a pair of good low profile ankle weights quite cheap and was wondering if they're any good for cycling. Has anyone trained wearing a pair? Do they make you a stronger rider?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    The first thing that you should remember is your performance on the bike is governed by your cardio vascular system, and not strength.
    Second thing to think about is weight ,if you add weight to either yourself or the bike it will slow you down. If you do your training in terms of time ,it will have no effect what so ever. If you do your training in terms of miles i.e your commute to work , there may be some benefit as it will take you longer to get from A to B. So your doing more training.

Once used ankle weights all winter, though not on the bike; at work. I work in the building trade so im on my feet all day long ,up and down ladders etc. Whether it helped or not ,i have no idea. As there are many other aspects to a winter training programme. But was working on the basis that it could`nt do me any harm.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • if you are trying to get stronger, ride in a harder gear. Simples :D
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    there's about 3 strength v power threads going on at the moment.

Just ride your bike.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Do cyclists do resistance training on their bikes? I know sprinters and other athletes do this by running on sandy beaches pulling weights and that sort of thing. I ride my MTB on spikey knobbly tyres on my commute when it's icy - much harder and slower - it feels like it must be doing me some good. Is there an equivalent in bike training?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    trtimothy wrote:
    Hi,

Basically I saw a pair of good low profile ankle weights quite cheap and was wondering if they're any good for cycling. Has anyone trained wearing a pair? Do they make you a stronger rider?

Thanks for any advice

I'd have thought that they'd do you minimal benefit as it's a balanced system (the weight on one pedal going down will "balance" the weight going up). Accelerating the weights will be harder but they will store that energy in a flywheel effect. Totally different from running. I'm sure there are more effective training methods like riding up hills.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I heard Robert Millar used to train with them. I wonder if he'll pop up and give his tuppence worth. Not seen him round these parts for a while.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    cheers for the feedback everyone. Reckon I will just ride more.

How about just to make everyones day I will ask the question.....would they have been improving my strength or my power? :lol:
  • well improved strength will improve power
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Do cyclists do resistance training on their bikes? I know sprinters and other athletes do this by running on sandy beaches pulling weights and that sort of thing. I ride my MTB on spikey knobbly tyres on my commute when it's icy - much harder and slower - it feels like it must be doing me some good. Is there an equivalent in bike training?

Jesus. The stupid on here is too strong, I quit.
  • meanredspider
    P_Tucker wrote:

Jesus. The stupid on here is too strong, I quit.

Result
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    well improved strength will improve power

must resist..........must RESIST!!!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • dulldave wrote:
    I heard Robert Millar used to train with them. I wonder if he'll pop up and give his tuppence worth. Not seen him round these parts for a while.

You have to know when in your training phase to use weights and when not to, they aren't much use on flat rides that's for sure .
  • trtimothy wrote:
    cheers for the feedback everyone. Reckon I will just ride more.

How about just to make everyones day I will ask the question.....would they have been improving my strength or my power? :lol:
    Neither.

To improve power you have to ride more and / or ride harder.

To improve strength, you need to do strength training, which is not done on a bike.
  • well improved strength will improve power
    Actually an increase in strength can have a negative impact on sustainable power.

In general, the two are unrelated.