Post your rat/pub/budget bikes

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Don't know why but I really like the simplicity of a rat bike. Something I can leave outside all weathers and just hop on whenever the need arises and leave anywhere with no worry of it being nicked.

Am currently scouring ebay for something near to me for less than £50. Though I keep seeing nicer more expensive (yet still budget) bikes and drifting off budget.
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    img0202fp.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • plodtv
    plodtv Posts: 40
    hmm i like that how much did it cost you?
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    edited January 2011
    If your in the northern end of the county, it's probably worth keeping an eye on this guy.

I'm not going to post a pic of my rat bike, suffice to say it has 18 of shimano's cheapest gears, twist grips, a qulil stem, full length mudguards, and a rack complete with panniers.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    plodtv wrote:

There's a blow by blow account somewhere here.

The bit I like the best is the brake.

Caliper on the front 'just cos I can' and the internal routing on the cable.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    plodtv wrote:

not much see.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12711783
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    07112010177.jpg

My old early 90's Marin Bear Valley SE (I think!) repainted in BMW pearlescent white with a 1996 ish sticker set.
    Bikehut OS stem & carbon bars using a quill stem adaptor, odd crank arms (CODA & unknown NDS), Surly SS rear hub, Salsa 44t chainring, Avid V's, Conti Travel contacts, 540 spds & 2 different headsets to make 1.
    It looks a bit crap but it rides so nice, super smooth & I love riding it to the shops.
    When I built it up from bargain bucket & mostly used parts I think it came to around £100 with the pannier & bags.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Is that a threaded to ahead converter?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Yeah one of those quill type ones that goes to 1 1/8th letting me bolt on a normal stem.
  • I'm thinking of making my 5 or 6 year old Giant Rock HT into something rideable again for commuting and riding around on without worrying about it, it's been sat in the garden for a year or so. The only real problem with it is the bottom bracket is really bad. I can't get it out - is it worth getting someone to repair it as I don't have the tools etc or how much do you think it will cost?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    This my my cheaper/budget bike, however, it's currently my main ride, as my expensive bike is having a re-build with a new frame etc. It'll go back to being the spare bike once it's built up.

p4pb5499210.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    £120 brand new from Rutland Cycles. Not the best bike on earth but its cheap, cheerful and does the job.

p4pb5912524.jpg
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    This my my cheaper/budget bike, however, it's currently my main ride, as my expensive bike is having a re-build with a new frame etc. It'll go back to being the spare bike once it's built up.

p4pb5499210.jpg

I'd be happy with that as my main bike - looks really smart :D
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Been up before but £34 on Ebay, and the guy delivered. Came with a new set of DMR V8's, now on other bike. Replaced bars and stem (sold originals for the price of the awesome flexistem) and stuck a decent saddle I had lying around on (to replace the original, and horribly uncomfortable Spesh one.)
    So all in all has cost maybe £40, including Mint Sauce stickers.

4603826327_f0e58d81df_z.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    £120 brand new from Rutland Cycles. Not the best bike on earth but its cheap, cheerful and does the job.

p4pb5912524.jpg

Thats a serious seatpost.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Ha! Sorry I should have said, it'd literally just been built and the post was about 5mm into the fram. It's ok, I'm not a giant, I'm only 5 11! I did put it down after that photo was taken.
  • Wow, amazing how far the definition of rat bike can be stretched. Some nice bikes posted.

That Rutland jobbie for £120 looks a bargain, off to check now... :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    4929538677_212c841418_z.jpg

Although it now has matching wheels run tubeless, hydro disc brakes, a 1x9 xt setup (same cranks) saint bashguard and sdg saddle/post combo...
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i can only assume most of you lot drink in swankey wine bars

pub1.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

£60 1995 giant yukon

new wheels, free needed alot of TLC
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    edited January 2011
    The Beer Scooter (in the foreground)

Initial cost £0.

With new tyres, saddle & brakes £80

4582696042_4e2633dfce_z.jpg
    the bikes in colour by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Hmmm... found some cheap Dirty Joe frames on the bay. I say cheap, they are over my budget for the whole bike already.

Still, at least I can waste more time and money building it myself. Got an old Tora fork in the garage going spare.... hmmm...
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    The Townsend Team Elite as it was when dug out from the darkest corner of the garage

003-1.jpg
    002-1.jpg

And after a bit of a facelift..

007.jpg
    005-1.jpg

Rode it once to work and then returned it to the darkest corner of the garage :lol:
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    DSCF5470.JPG

built from bits lying around and ebay/CRC sale parts

no updated photo yet but (in prep for a charity 100 mile road ride in april) now has -

slightly bigger ratio (38/16 - 22/11 in this photo)
    bar ends
    different wheels with 1.5" tyres
    smaller road/clip pedals

running me around 175 quid (in newly bought parts) so far i reckon

slainte :D rob
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited February 2011
    Bike: Diamondback MT40: £80, Gumtree
    Forks: eXotic carbon: £60
    Brakes: Magura HS33 hydraulic rim squeezers: £50 Ebay
    Tyres: Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35: £36/Pair
    Seat: WTB Rocket Race 5: £18
    Grips: ODI Ruffian LOG: £12
    Bell (not in photo): £1.79 Tesco

Cost: £262, not bad at all...

dbexccfforks5large.jpg
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Here's mine, cost a total of about £40 in new parts and was built up out of various bike bits laying around

DSC00167-1.jpg

It lasted over 6000 miles before I spotted a crack in the downtube
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    If the op is looking for something nice and cheap, could do worse than try decathlon. Last time I looked they had £80 for a bright orange singlespeed, £100 for the same bike with gears. They're eminently rideable and pretty easy to look after. If I wanted a new rat bike for little effort or money, it's what i'd go for.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • I know its a road bike but I pedal to work and the pub on it saves me taking the remedy out and having it knicked!! Like my chameleon was!!!

P6110010.jpg
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Thats your hack bike? :shock:
  • Its my comute, pub, shop and throw around bike.

Why?? :oops:
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Its my comute, pub, shop and throw around bike.

Why?? :oops:

Wasn't trying to be offensive or anything mate, just your hack bike is worth more than my main bike :P
  • Oh ok...

Ive got my remedy 8 and my madone 5.2 for everthing else!! I dont want to leave them lying around any where realy

I got free fries and a shake when I bought them tho!!!!!! :lol: