How long to regain fitness?

Omar Little
Omar Little Posts: 2,010
Had a 3 month injury layoff prior to Christmas, since then i've eased my way back in but after about a month the times for my local training loops and average speed is way down - not just on the late summer / early autumn but this time last year. Not so worried about that yet but it is more the perceived effort i am putting in that does worry me like struggling to get up hills - on one particular hill the effort i'm putting in to get up it once feels the equivalent to what the 5th repeat of it was like last year, just about ready to spew by the time i get to the final bend! :D

I knew i'd be a bit slower and would have lost a bit of fitness but a bit alarmed at just how much, it was only 3 months after all. How long does it normally take to regain fitness after a layoff? (i dont really have any experience of this as i've never gone more than a couple of weeks before without doing some sort of exercise)

Comments

• vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I think it probably depends what level of base fitness you had prior to your lay off.

e.g. If you had an endurance built over 20+ years of cycling your fitness loss will be far less than if you started riding in the last couple of years.