One for the burds

2»

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A friend was a lifeguard at a swimming pool that had a men only night.

It turned into an unofficial gay night and she ended up picking up used condoms from the changing room floors.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A friend was a lifeguard at a swimming pool that had a men only night.

It turned into an unofficial gay night and she ended up picking up used condoms from the changing room floors.

lol! "And thats why we can't have nice things"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Re. Women seperatists, feminist self perpetuation et al.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with an often marginalised group taking the time to acknowledge or host an event specifically for that marginalised group. I do not think there is anything wrong with individuals from that group wanting to spnd time or share an event with members, specifically, from that group.

What would be wrong, in my opinion, is if members of that group had absolutely no time or no interest in engaging with other groups as defined within a society.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    DonDaddyD wrote:

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with an often marginalised group taking the time to acknowledge or host an event specifically for that marginalised group. I do not think there is anything wrong with individuals from that group wanting to spnd time or share an event with members, specifically, from that group.

What would be wrong, in my opinion, is if members of that group had absolutely no time or no interest in engaging with other groups as defined within a society.

Whilst I agree with your point, are women really an "often marginalised group". Women are more than 50% of the population and typically are the boss when it comes to our personal lives.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Stuey01 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Whilst I agree with your point, are women really an "often marginalised group". Women are more than 50% of the population and typically are the boss when it comes to our personal lives.

Not sure I'd use the word marginalised, but there's still plenty of overt and unthinking discrimination in so many areas, but that's diverting off-topic somewhat. To take your other point, while you might be doing your laps, I'm sure there are some who like spending a bit too much time in the cafe overlooking the pool, having a good old letch. Some of the earlier posts although obviously not serious, do give some idea why women might want certain times set aside as women-only.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:

Not sure I'd use the word marginalised, but there's still plenty of overt and unthinking discrimination in so many areas, but that's diverting off-topic somewhat. To take your other point, while you might be doing your laps, I'm sure there are some who like spending a bit too much time in the cafe overlooking the pool, having a good old letch. Some of the earlier posts although obviously not serious, do give some idea why women might want certain times set aside as women-only.

Should we not have single sex wards in hospital... OK point take to the extreme and while my use of the word marginalised may be too extreme for some, there are some areas of society where women are overlooked or still have a glass celing over their heads.

TV for one. Working for the BBC (and of a certain age) is another.

The point I'm making is that i see no harm in having a group specific event for women and I do not accept that it is counter productive for what feminist groups are trying to achieve.

In fact I think the claim poppycock.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Should we not have single sex wards in hospital... OK point take to the extreme and while my use of the word marginalised may be too extreme for some, there are some areas of society where women are overlooked or still have a glass celing over their heads.

TV for one. Working for the BBC (and of a certain age) is another.

The point I'm making is that i see no harm in having a group specific event for women and I do not accept that it is counter productive for what feminist groups are trying to achieve.

In fact I think the claim poppycock.

I was responding to Stuey01's post, but yes, the Miriam O'Reilly case is a good example.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition