Seen this?

And for the blokes, here is a picture of two Vicky Ps
8a5f694f0322f86b6e3a375cfcfff71b.png
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• I sincerely hope the Cycletta thing is successful. I had a really fun ride with the lad who lives next door on Saturday - he went a distance further than he'd ever ridden, saw places in London he'd never seen before, and it was simply a great make-it-up-as-you-go-along day. It was strange though - I found myself regretting that I'd never been able to do something like that with my daughter.

So, the more of everybody on bikes, the better for everybody, in my take on things.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    So do I. We need more fit burds in lycra on our roads!

• Great, will go along to some of these to "spectate furiously"
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    All the fit burds are already on the roads. It's only us fat burds that are left :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    suzyb wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    All the fit burds are already on the roads. It's only us fat burds that are left :wink:

More cushion for the pushin'

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'm working on it m8 - I'm slowly coaxing my g/f into commuting and she looks well hot in lycra :D

We were out last Friday getting cycle gear & she's already thinking of u/grading from her Trek Allant to a more "racy" hybrid LOL

I love following her :oops:
  • Mumble grumble events specifically for women mumble.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Mumble grumble events specifically for women mumble.

You're confident on the road (and generally, I assume) but many ain't so this may help.

And the blokes like to watch and encourage by leering.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:

You're confident on the road (and generally, I assume) but many ain't so this may help.

It's a real pet hate of mine. Women need to MTFU.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

From behind a hedge
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

I do know what you mean, on the other hand clearly woman are under represented mind you so are any one that isn't white. or middle class and so on. and you don't get events based on race or class etc!
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719

I agree and I feel exactly the same about 'special' cycling events for the over 50s as if we suddenly become incapable as soon as we reach the half ton! :evil:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I generally agree however having been to the women only MTB event on Sunday I find I rather enjoyed it, especially since I was the only MTFUed women in the group so looked like I knew what I was doing :wink:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    If this encourages older wimmin especially to get on a bike then it's a great idea. I'm going on the assumption that the young of either sex have more courage than someone a lot older.

I want to see more older wimmin on bikes![/code]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

:roll:

How far does that view extend.

100m Sprint Finals at any level for age groups after puberty?

Boxing?

Rugby?

Cage fighting?

If this encourages older wimmin especially to get on a bike then it's a great idea. <snip>

I want to see more older wimmin on bikes!

This.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    Great, will go along to some of these to "spectate furiously"

Post of the week. Need a new keyboard now!
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

How far does that view extend.

100m Sprint Finals at any level for age groups after puberty?

Boxing?

Rugby?

Cage fighting?

If this encourages older wimmin especially to get on a bike then it's a great idea. <snip>

I want to see more older wimmin on bikes!

This.

Oh grow up. You know exactly what I mean.
  • owenlars wrote:
    I agree and I feel exactly the same about 'special' cycling events for the over 50s as we suddenly become incontinent as soon as we reach the half ton! :evil:

Edited for accuracy
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    +1

Facebook page for CMFBL* anyone?

(*Campaign for More Fit Burds in Lycra)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2011
    Oh grow up. You know exactly what I mean.

I don't think my supposed age, mental or otherwise, has anything to do with it.

I do not see women specifc events as a negative thing when there are other options to participate alongside men.

If the message was women have to have women specific events - at grass roots - because they simply could not compete with men, then that would be a bad thing. It isn't.

Something like this encourages women to participate in an environment designed to help boost confidence and eliminate fears in those who would normally be too self-concious to participate. That for me is no bad thing.

But what do I know. I need to grow up.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279

But just look at the times for various records... It really isn't any competition, with about 10% separating the record times for events. 10% is a huge gap physiologically.
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    Great, will go along to some of these to "spectate furiously"
    Rhymes with 'spectate'.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    +1

Facebook page for CMFBL* anyone?

(*Campaign for More Fit Burds in Lycra)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 7327809115
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

I guess you're using MTFU self-consciously. But such an attitude risks reinforcing the assumption that cycling is not a particularly feminine activity, that it takes balls to do. As I understood it, the Cycletta event is aiming to redress the balance by making it, albeit temporarily, an expressly feminine activity. And if the spin-off from that is more women/girls on the road then, paradoxically, we're one more step on the way to making cycling get perceived as a people's activity.

Unless of course you meant the M in MTFU to stand for Mother, in which case I couldn't argue with what would signify the ability to go through extreme physical pain barriers, exhaustion and still keep the wheels turning.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I guess you're using MTFU self-consciously. But such an attitude risks reinforcing the assumption that cycling is not a particularly feminine activity, that it takes balls to do. As I understood it, the Cycletta event is aiming to redress the balance by making it, albeit temporarily, an expressly feminine activity. And if the spin-off from that is more women/girls on the road then, paradoxically, we're one more step on the way to making cycling get perceived as a people's activity.

Unless of course you meant the M in MTFU to stand for Mother, in which case I couldn't argue with what would signify the ability to go through extreme physical pain barriers, exhaustion and still keep the wheels turning.

Oh dear. Another person perpetuating the myth that childbirth is painful. No worse than a bad papercut or stepping on an upturned plug, I've heard.

• DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Oh dear. Another person perpetuating the myth that childbirth is painful. No worse than a bad papercut or stepping on an upturned plug, I've heard.

Too right! And it gets easier everytime! Burd-mate of mine has 3 and wants more, reckon they'll just slip out from now on.
    Food Chain number = 4

• You mean they've been having me on all this time? Ok, I'd better just admit defeat :lol:
  • Mumble grumble events specifically for women mumble.

But just look at the times for various records... It really isn't any competition, with about 10% separating the record times for events. 10% is a huge gap physiologically.

I don't mean sporting competition, which I don't believe this event is. Men are bigger, stronger, and generally faster than women overall.

I mean events that are 'just for women' or similar. Women need to quit their separatist antics and just get on with life. The same ones who brand themselves feminist, or doing something 'for women', or whatever the PC term is these days, then organise 'women in property' (for example) events are simply perpetuating the thing they allege to be working against.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I don't mean sporting competition, which I don't believe this event is. Men are bigger, stronger, and generally faster than women overall.

I mean events that are 'just for women' or similar. Women need to quit their separatist antics and just get on with life. The same ones who brand themselves feminist, or doing something 'for women', or whatever the PC term is these days, then organise 'women in property' (for example) events are simply perpetuating the thing they allege to be working against.

Agreed. Participation and competition ain't the same. Participation type events, such as sportives, have no barrier to female entry. Those that are afraid to enter because there will be men there need to HTFU and just do what they want to do.

Women only nights at the swimming pool is my pet hate. Do they really think all the blokes are gawking at them? No, I just want to do my laps and go home.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Well its a matter of having special events, or women just behaving more like men. Some people prefer the former I guess.