Marmite - a bitter debate

13»

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    RichN95 wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    The irony with Larwood, is that after he moved here to Australia, the locals slowly started to change their view of him.

Surely Jardine was always the villian? Larwood was 'just following orders'

Plus Larwood was a working class boy of mining stock while Jardine was Winchester and Oxford.

Yep, I think that is how he was viewed by many Aussies after the dust settled on the situation - he almost became a victim himself.

That all said, as an Aussie, I admire Douglas for his captaincy. It's was a shrewd tactic, within the rules of cricket. However, the tactic require a great face bowler - someone who could bowl with pace all day, and be deadly accurate. Larwood was certainly a great bowler.

Well played Engerland, I say :wink:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I feel a bit bad about mentioning the Sol song now, but feelings run strong where she's concerned.

In terms of divisive people, because of the more recent means of mass communication, isn't it likely that the most divisive are likely to be recent, because it's just so much easier now to argue about these things. I can't imagine any cyclist has caused the debates Lance has.

Regarding the cricket issues, what about the Trevor Chappell underarm ball (on brother Greg's orders) against the Kiwi's, didn't that almost cause a diplomatic incident?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    dougzz wrote:
    Regarding the cricket issues, what about the Trevor Chappell underarm ball (on brother Greg's orders) against the Kiwi's, didn't that almost cause a diplomatic incident?

There was a bit on that on Sky during the ashes...Richie Benuad was not amused!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Vinokourov divides opinion. Well mine anyway :?