Nasty Smell

markos1963
markos1963 Posts: 3,724
Around this time of year I start to move from base training rides to more intense workouts(2x 20 mins etc) and I notice when I get back in that there is a nasty amonia type smell coming from me. It only happenes for a month or two and then drops away. What's going on?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    You've p1ssed yourself.
  • Oh Dear........ Have you been using Vosene as Chamois creme again? What have i told you about that..
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Too much protein and not enough carbs cause your sweat to smell of ammonia (i.e. the body burning protein instead of carbs during exercise cause it to smell like that).

Does you diet change between now (non racing season) and a couple of months (racing season)?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It is not uncommon... as above balance out the diet....it is also not an undue worry
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    From my own experience, it happens when you run out of glycogen (bonk) during the ride while trying to maintain the same intensity and/or duration of the ride.
    Your body is then forced to use almost entirely fat for fuel.
  • markos1963
    danowat wrote:
    Too much protein and not enough carbs cause your sweat to smell of ammonia (i.e. the body burning protein instead of carbs during exercise cause it to smell like that).

Does you diet change between now (non racing season) and a couple of months (racing season)?

Funnily enough Dan I have modified my diet to include more protien and less carbs as I try to get my weight down for the season ahead
  • markos1963
    Barteos wrote:
    From my own experience, it happens when you run out of glycogen (bonk) during the ride while trying to maintain the same intensity and/or duration of the ride.
    Your body is then forced to use almost entirely fat for fuel.

I never bonk on rides, have been known to slow down due to fatigue but never that wobbly confused state you see in some riders. Have ridden over 120 miles with no sign of it.

I have also just started doing one fasted ride a week but only in zone 2 for an hour but no smell after that.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    markos1963 wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Funnily enough Dan I have modified my diet to include more protien and less carbs as I try to get my weight down for the season ahead

Thats it then, although it won't cause you any harm, its an idication that you may be burning lean tissue, might be an idea to either increase the carbs a bit, or reduce the intensity of your workout/s.

If your body can't support its needs through stored glycogen, and the intensity is too high it can't metabolise fat quick enough, which is when it starts using lean tissue, and hence the smell.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    That is absolutely fascinating (for real). I've smelled the same thing at times but never thought it was due to anything in particular. Very good to know.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    I used to get this a lot in the old days after a hard ride but I don't seem to get it any more.

It may be something to do with what clothing you wear. In the old days I just used to wear a cotton t-shirt as a base layer and the sweat really soaked into it and stayed there, getting more and more malodorous as the ride went on. Now I always wear a good quality wicking base layer, and I really don't seem to get the problem any more. I also feel a whole lot more comfortable and drier when out on the bike.
  • markos1963
    I'll have to be careful then, at my age I can't afford to lose any more muscle mass( I got so little to lose anyway!)