Blackspire stinger and spacer fitting

JimmerG
JimmerG Posts: 143
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've read a lot about people trying to fit these stingers, and getting annoyed about the chain rubbing on the stinger plate.

I've got an SLX double and bash chainset with the corresponding BB. The instructions say - fit the spacer against the frame, then the stinger, then the BB cup. This meant the chain rubbed in the plate, and the large chainring not quite lining up with the centre of the groove on the roller. So I switched the stinger and spacer, so the stinger is against the the frame, followed by the spacer followed by the BB cup. It works perfectly, everything lines up, nothing rubs.

Can anyone see there being a problem with this set up? It works, but I've gone against the the instructions.....

Comments

• GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    I took mine out yesterday in this config and the stinger lined up with the middle chian and worked perfectly, my problem is that realistically, because I have a 73mm bottom bracket shell, I shouldn't have a spacer in there at all, but if i do that, the chain won't line up and the chain will rub.. you'd think it would be simple, but it's exactly the opposite!!

oh, and because I have put an extra spacer in there, it now means that the crank doesnt come out fully on the other side, meaning that unless the bolts on the crank are done up super tight, the crank arm falls off!!

might have to sack it to be honest :cry::cry:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    GhallTN6
    What cranks?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GhallTN6
    shimano XT m770 on a yeti 575!
  • nicklouse
    Should be OKish as the axle is long enough.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • GhallTN6
    The axle is a little short, by about 5mm coming into the crank arm (non drive side), so not ideal, I could do with someone else who's got a 73mm shell to see how they set up the stinger.
  • nicklouse
    I run a 5mm thick BB mount device on a 73mm BB with XT cranks. No probs. so same spacing as the stinger and a 2,5mm spacer......
  • GhallTN6
    Thanks for that Nicklouse, I'll see what spacer I have, see if I can find a thinner one, but good to know I can get it work..

Muchas gracias.
  • I had major issues with mine on my 2008 Orange 5 with Race Face Deus Cranks.

Before I fitted the Stinger I'd had problemss with the cranks and spacers not nipping up. So I'd filed down a spacer to about 1.5mm and had to run this and a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side.

Now, the Stinger seems to be more than 2.5mm thick as when I fitted it in place of the 2.5mm spacer everything locked up solid in the bb. Even the inner chain ring bolt heads were catching on the Stinger.
    So I removed the extra 1.5 mm spacer and refitted it all, This again caused the chain ring bolts to hit the swinger arm stopping the cranks turning.

In the end after much arsing about, I had to file the additional spacer down to about 0.5 to 1mm and fit it between the Stinger and the cranks. The chain runs sweetly now on both rings.

In contrast, I've just fitted a Superstars Chain guide to my Blood with a 83mm shell. No issues whatsoever and this one has 2 bearings instead of 1 and was about £8 cheaper!
  • GhallTN6
    In the end I removed the spacer, so it's BB cup, Stinger, crank (for a 73mm BB shell)

It fits, just, I get a bit of chain rub when in granny, but overall it seems ok, the main thing is not to have too much space between the granny ring and the stinger, maximum of about 6mm, and more than this then the chian can come up and get stuck between the stinger and the granny, which isnt good!
  • GhallTN6
    which isnt good!

Neither is my spelling today!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Holy thread revival batman!

i've just bought a Stinger, along with a 24t Blackspire chainring. On a Truvativ Stylo 3.3 crankset, fitted with a new Truvativ GXP BB on a Carbon 456 (73mm BB shell).

I've got it set up Frame-Stinger-BB-Crankset.
    When I do it like this the small chainring pushes up against the stinger and the cranks are almost impossible to turn.

If I do Frame-Stinger-Spacer-BB-Crankset the crankset goes 'stiff' before the chainring hits the stinger, I guess because the bearings are overloaded from the side, or something like that?

The cranks spin freely when I refit my old Truvativ 22t inner ring, the new ring is definitely at least 1mm thicker than the old one.

So do Blackspire chainrings not work with Blackspire chain devices?!

What do I do? :? :(
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    well for starts. 73mm and GXP = NO spacers at all.

what is the stinger fitting? BB mount or ISCG.
  • bails87
    nicklouse wrote:
    well for starts. 73mm and GXP = NO spacers at all.

what is the stinger fitting? BB mount or ISCG.

BB. So can I just not use a BB mount chain device then, unless i buy a new crankset!?

I know there shouldn't be spacers, but thought it was wortth a try to see if it worked.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    the issue is the 73mm BB.

yes the BS ring will work but not in the configuration you want.

you need a crankset that does not have a fixed tightening point.

cranks that are NOT suitable are the Tuvative and the RaceFace single bolt fittings.

the shimano one can be made to work. as can other set ups with floating axles.

but it sounds like a steel cranny ring could sort your issue.
  • bails87
    *sigh* It's never as cheap or easy as you hope is it?

So,you reckon a Stainless Steel ring will work?
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    no idea how does its thickness compare to the one that works? also recesses for the bolts may help.
  • bails87
    The black spire ring I've already got has recesses for the bolts, but it's not the bolts that are hitting the singer, it's the whole chainring.
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    pics then.
  • bails87
    Frame-Stinger-BB cup
    DSC01241.jpg

Crankset with scuffed chainrings and filed down bolts
    DSC01246.jpg

Fitted, the yellow line is electrical tape I put on the inner ridge of the inner ring, so you can tell it apart from the black of the Stinger.
    DSC01248.jpg

And again, the red line I've drawn on shows where the gap between the Stinger and chainring should be
    DSC01250.jpg

Difference in thickness between old and new rings:
    DSC01237.jpg
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    If it was a different crank and bb then I still shouldn't be putting a spacer in once the stinger is in place should I? So would a different crank make any difference, or is the problem just down to the ring?

Or with a shimano setup would I be able to ignore the instructions and add a spacer?
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    ok the issues

GXP 73mm no spacers at all you want to use a BB mount device. Problem.

HT2 73mm you use one spacer. you want to use a BB mount device NO problem.
  • bails87
    Thought that might be the answer. No hope of returning anything as it's mashed!

So, no chain device or new crankset, as there are no iscg tabs, so any chain device will have to be bb mount.

What about a hope bb, from their instructions you still have a spacer even with a 73mn bb shell. Mind you, it would work out cheaper to buy an SLX crankset and sell the rings than get a Hope BB....
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    Hope BB would make no difference. same fitting/spacing as the GXP .

it is not the BB but the cranks that is the issue.
  • bails87
    nicklouse wrote:
    Hope BB would make no difference. same fitting/spacing as the GXP .

it is not the BB but the cranks that is the issue.

Ah right, the Hope instructions say always use 1 spacer on a 73mm. I believe you over them though! I didn't know if maybe the bb itself was narrower. But it's obviously not : wink:

Might just run it without the chain device....but then that was half the point of going double..... :roll:
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    edited June 2011
    they give the standard spacing for the shimano/RF type where both bearings are preloaded.

while Sram just clamp the non drive side and leave the drive side free running (no pre load). add a spacer and things start locking up.
  • bails87
    I'll see how I get on without the Stinger. Thanks for your help nick.
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano HTII soles so many problems that It boggles the mind how any other system sells at all.
  • bails87
    Shimano HTII soles so many problems that It boggles the mind how any other system sells at all.

You've said this before, but I didn't believe you, because I hadn't tried to fit a BB mount chain device! :wink:

If they designed it to work with one spacer, which could be replaced with a chain device, on a 73mm shell then it would be fine.

Grrrr!
    MTB/CX

• nicklouse
    bails87I use an HT2 with 73mm BB and a 5mm BB mount device :wink:
  • bails87
    nicklouse wrote:
    bails87I use an HT2 with 73mm BB and a 5mm BB mount device :wink:

Do you want to send me both of those, free of charge?

I could solve the problem with a few mouse clicks, I'm just annoyed it means spending even more money
    MTB/CX