Matt White sacked by Garmin

2»

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Agree about having to 'finish' the Kimmage interview properly. It would be healthy for him, healthy for his team and healthy overall for the sport.

After all, the next 10-15 years are going to see an avalanche of confessions from the EPO era. Best get in there first. And I can't see anyone thinking less of JV because of it.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Dave_1 wrote:
    interesting emails by Landis re this Jonathan Vaughters guy. Will JV continue to be the forum anti-doping warriors mascot? JV needs to expand on the comments he made to Kimmage re his Dauphine form in 2000 and perhaps address Landis's comment..until then he really can't be the badge the LA bashers wear

Agree 100% - figure in the suspicions around Lim and JV's internal programme looks about as healthy as anything run by Bruyneel. But I've never placed a lot of faith in internal programmes anyway
  • SpaceJunk wrote:
    There seem to be a few dodgy stories creeping out of the woodwork right now about the whole slipstream sports setup. There were plenty about Cervelo but lots of new stuff coming to light now.

Such as???

I know Trent Lowe wasn't paid for December last year [which apparently triggered it all]. But then again Lowe was already riding around in the Pegasus colours by then - I'm not sure if I would pay him either.

Please tell me more about the 'whole slipstream sports setup'. I like stories.

They seem to be slowly coming out now. The team already knew of Lowes association with the dodgy doc for one.

Another myth busted.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Trent Lowe comes across as a nice guy trying to blackmail the team and all.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • The team comes across well. Merging with another and then shafting plenty of riders with a year left to run on their contracts. Looks like this is going to get messy.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Well the team certainly do not seem to notice letter heads from "unapproved" doctors apparently :roll:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    If I rocked up to my employer, demanding $500,000 in return for not "publically exposing certain information", I don't believe their response would be a press release. A formal complaint to police about attempted blackmail would be the more likely outcome.

How come JV didn't go to the cops? Maybe he's a nice guy. Maybe he believes this can be tidied up quickly and easily. Maybe he has other information that he wouldn't like a police investigation to uncover.

Funny how Lowe visits del Moral twice (at least), rides around in his new team kit while under contract to Slipstream, shops his DS and then his adviser allegedly looks for a large payment in return for his silence, yet Trent just loses his December paycheck.
    Meanwhile, White refers a rider to del Moral "once" and loses his job.

As has been posted above - "messy"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Trent Lowe comes across as a nice guy trying to blackmail the team and all.

A habit he picked up at Discovery? :twisted:
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I might have missed it but has Mr Lowe found another team after the pegasus debacle? Would have thought he is now pretty much unemployable by teams?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • rick_chasey
    wicked wrote:
    I might have missed it but has Mr Lowe found another team after the pegasus debacle? Would have thought he is now pretty much unemployable by teams?

So he's on his way to Katusha or Liquigas then?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hoisted by their own pure petard! Other teams simply wouldn't squirm like this.

Embarrassing but washing things in public has its risks. Other teams just do things in private / secret.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    If it was my team I'd give people a list of un-approved Drs. Period. NOT a list of approved Drs, just a list of unapproved ones. I would not say why, but I would make sure the contract reflected compliance with this list.

If it was my team and i was worried about certain Drs around Valencia when my team's main Drs were in Girona, I'd take the rider aside and ask him why he insisted on living in Valencia and put some decent "teamy" pressure to move up to Girona where I like the quality of the Drs. a lot more.

There' not evidence either of those scenarios took place but maybe JV has too many riders on his books to coach them all himself or maybe he outsourced this to Whitey. If he did, Whitey didn't see the red flags with Lowe. Notice how White lived in Girona...

I think Whitey might deserve another chance...but that's not my call.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • rick_chasey
    I think Whitey might deserve another chance...but that's not my call.

We only know what's been reported...