Matt White sacked by Garmin

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Seems like an incident from a while back - wonder why it's just come to light.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    DaveyL wrote:
    Seems like an incident from a while back - wonder why it's just come to light.

Matt White was always going to be at GreenEDGE next year. Te devil in me is guessing JV either looked for a reason to sack him now, or White himself leaked the info to get out of there and start work in his new position.
  • DaveyL
    I wondered about that. The problem with that is, if Vaughters has been sitting on it, then it doesn't really build confidence in the team's policies.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Suspect there's a bigger picture - Del Moral? The old ONCE/USPS doping doc (allegedly)? And isn't White still under investigation by Aus Cycling as a result of the Landis allegations?

Be interested to see if GreenEdge ever make it off the ground
  • SpaceJunk
    micron wrote:
    Suspect there's a bigger picture - Del Moral? The old ONCE/USPS doping doc (allegedly)? And isn't White still under investigation by Aus Cycling as a result of the Landis allegations?

Be interested to see if GreenEdge ever make it off the ground

I think they can get 'airborne', but why in the hell would you employ Neil Stephens??

GreenEDGE will work if they get the right (read - people without dodgy pasts) people.
  • micron
    Stephens, White & Bannan are an unholy trinity indeed - but I expect Pat will be there at the presentation telling us Green EDGE are just what we need in cycling :roll:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Been updated now - he sent Trent Lowe to see some dodgy doctor. Didn't seem to do Trent Lowe's form much good, did it?
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    halfway through watching TDU highlights ....

phil and paul eulogising over what a good job matt white had been doing in this race ...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    The more he talks the less I listen....

Can anyone explain the graph?
  • DaveyL
    iainf72 wrote:

Ah. I wondered what had provoked Cath's outburst on Twitter.

Vaughters has gone to an awful lot of trouble just to set up a poor man's (in terms of success) version of US Postal (a team he was glad to leave by all accounts, because of what went on). And he didn't really need to get back into the cycling game. Still, if a team was going to be protected these days, you could see why it would be Slipstream. A positive there and a lot of people would walk away from the pro side of the sport.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    What does the headline have to do with the story?

Why doesn't "The inside story of Matt White....." mention him.
  • DaveyL wrote:
    I wondered about that. The problem with that is, if Vaughters has been sitting on it, then it doesn't really build confidence in the team's policies.

Final stages of 2010 is a bit vague, but doesn't look like it's been sat on for too long...
    "Cyclingnews understands that Garmin were notified of the meeting with del Moral after a contract dispute between the rider and team during the final stages of 2010"
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    iainf72 wrote:

Landis is being a bit disingeneous there, no? If Vaughters had confessed to doping whilst he was riding then he'd be sanctioned. If, as that reads, this was after he retired then such a sanction isn't going to happen as the USADA have no jurisdiction over him.

He's never publically confessed has he? I wonder if that'll change given current events.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I imagine that if Novitsky has invited JV for a quiet pot of Earl Grey and a slice of cherry cake, then JV will have sung like a diva.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DaveyL wrote:

Final stages of 2010 is a bit vague, but doesn't look like it's been sat on for too long...
    "Cyclingnews understands that Garmin were notified of the meeting with del Moral after a contract dispute between the rider and team during the final stages of 2010"

There's a bit more detail here including some background on del Moral:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/01/ ... tor_156642

JV didn't want to pay Lowe for December and it looks like Lowe came back with "oh btw, did you know..."
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Just perusing that link, much as I admire a hard line stance on doping I think Garmin may be going a bit far with this one.

Vaughters said he was compelled to review White’s phone records and team email account to be sure White had not had sent other riders to del Moral, or had additional contact with the Spanish doctor, adding that he was confident it was an isolated incident. He then consulted with the Slipstream Sports board of directors, which came to the consensus that White must be terminated.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tusher
    Just thinking..............JV couldn't afford to pay Holy David when he came on board, so he was given shares/part ownership in Slipstream instead.
    Does that mean that he was privy to White's execution, and if so, did he keep it to himself, or let his mates know.
  • micron
    Funny how it's basically being accepted that Del Moral is a doping doctor - and him being ex-USPS and everything :wink:
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Did the french TV crew actually film them dropping off all the doping paraphenalia (4th paragraph)?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Tusher wrote:
    Just thinking..............JV couldn't afford to pay Holy David when he came on board, so he was given shares/part ownership in Slipstream instead.
    Does that mean that he was privy to White's execution, and if so, did he keep it to himself, or let his mates know.

That doesn't mean he's on the Board of Directors. I guess he probably is though.

If he knew about it there's no way he'd have told his team mates. If you're on the Board of Directors there are some things you know that you need to keep to yourself. Most middle managers in large corporations have to do this day in day out so I don't see why Millar couldn't in this situation.
    micron wrote:
    Funny how it's basically being accepted that Del Moral is a doping doctor - and him being ex-USPS and everything :wink:

JV probably knows more about him than he's willing to say.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I think they made the right decision. It would have completely discredited their anti-doping stance if they'd kept him on.
  • Tusher wrote:

Perhaps if there are funding issues then sacking someone for an apparent misdemeanor is a cost-effective option rather than agreeing financial terms for ending someone's contract early. Just a thought – White seems quite upbeat about it anyway.
  • There seem to be a few dodgy stories creeping out of the woodwork right now about the whole slipstream sports setup. There were plenty about Cervelo but lots of new stuff coming to light now.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Matt seems to be joining the ranks of "the disappeared". On the garmin.com website, you could download his voice module and a little Team Garmin icon for your satnav. In the past 12 hours, the voice module has been removed....

JV is probably busy, as we speak, erasing White from all the team photos and, like Vladimir Clementis, all that will be left will be Matt's hat on Tyler Farrars head.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Tusher
    Tusher wrote:

Perhaps if there are funding issues then sacking someone for an apparent misdemeanor is a cost-effective option rather than agreeing financial terms for ending someone's contract early. Just a thought – White seems quite upbeat about it anyway.

No, this dates from 2007/8. I don't think JV has any more funding problems than any other team manager just now. Possibly less as Garmin seem to be a blue chip sponsor.

Although I imagine that he's fairly chuffed not to have to be paying White for a year when he was going to be leaving for GreenEdge anyway, and JV has no doubt seen what happened to Riis with the Saxo Schlexodus. Team morale and all that.
  • SpaceJunk
    There seem to be a few dodgy stories creeping out of the woodwork right now about the whole slipstream sports setup. There were plenty about Cervelo but lots of new stuff coming to light now.

Such as???

I know Trent Lowe wasn't paid for December last year [which apparently triggered it all]. But then again Lowe was already riding around in the Pegasus colours by then - I'm not sure if I would pay him either.

Please tell me more about the 'whole slipstream sports setup'. I like stories.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    interesting emails by Landis re this Jonathan Vaughters guy. Will JV continue to be the forum anti-doping warriors mascot? JV needs to expand on the comments he made to Kimmage re his Dauphine form in 2000 and perhaps address Landis's comment..until then he really can't be the badge the LA bashers wear