• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Why?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Why ugh ugh hugh not? :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    I do. Fortunately, I'm immune from cancer. Sure there's heart disease, but at least a heart attack makes death a short sharp shock, rather than a decade of dribbling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nope, my body is a temple
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    tri-sexual wrote:
    nope, my body is a temple

Mine too, I just fill it with large quantities of fine stout at the w/e, yeah!
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I 'gave up' 4 years ago. I still smoke on Friday nights and Saturdays and then 'give up' again every Sunday. Depending on weekend activities I probably smoke around 10-20 per week.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    never even taken a drag in my life
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I gave up three years ago. I still "love" smoking, and miss it terribly at times: there simply is no equivalent for a contemplative, reflective cigarette pause in the non-smoking world. I love the motley collection of shuffling groups of smokers. If it wasn't killing me and others I'd still be there, in that little circle of the mortal and the broken and the interesting.

But, I'm enormously relieved to be rid of it. I know I could fall back in if I'm careless, so I have a zero-tolerance policy with myself: if I ever allow that sneaky drunken drag, then that's all my progress wiped out and the clock starts again. It hasn't happened yet.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Hmmn not sure what to class myself as, might have the odd cigar with a glass a bourbon 2-3 times a year but there also have been many years when I've smoked nothing. Certainly never had a cigarette habit of any sort.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Quit about 8 years ago.

Then I watched my dad die of Pulminary Fibrosis. I'll never smoke again.

(You should add a 3rd option to your poll for quitters)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The odd one, it helps my blood pressure and AF!
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    balthazar wrote:
    I gave up three years ago. I still "love" smoking, and miss it terribly at times: there simply is no equivalent for a contemplative, reflective cigarette pause in the non-smoking world. I love the motley collection of shuffling groups of smokers. If it wasn't killing me and others I'd still be there, in that little circle of the mortal and the broken and the interesting.

But, I'm enormously relieved to be rid of it. I know I could fall back in if I'm careless, so I have a zero-tolerance policy with myself: if I ever allow that sneaky drunken drag, then that's all my progress wiped out and the clock starts again. It hasn't happened yet.

I know exactly what you mean. Even ignoring health and financial reasoning I enjoy smoking, but I hate being a smoker. For me a cigarette once in a while is enjoyable, 10-20 a day made me feel terrible.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I smoke. I've come to realise that I'd have stopped some years ago if it wasn't for the anit-smoking lobby. It seems that I'm what they call 'reactant'.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Crapaud wrote:
    I smoke. I've come to realise that I'd have stopped some years ago if it wasn't for the anit-smoking lobby. It seems that I'm what they call 'reactant'.
    Arrange the following words into a well known saying:

nose your to face cut spite off your
  • Crapaud
    bompington wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:

Feck them!!!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Crapaud wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:

Feck them!!!

I'm not sure you used all of the words there Crapaud :)
  • Crapaud
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:

Feck them!!!

I'm not sure you used all of the words there Crapaud :)
    There's some truth to what Bompington says, Bobbinogs. However, everytime I've tried to stop I'm bombarded with stop smoking ads which immediately makes me think of a smoke. That's the short answer.

The longer answer is the tactics used by the likes of ASH. I strongly object to the lies, demonisation of smokers, and the social apartheid they engender and encourage. It's politics, not health.

You've probably noticed the war against obesity and alcohol. They're using the same tactics and vocabulary, ie passive drinking, passive obesity. The first shots have been fired in the war against salt. Remember, it's all for your own good, but it's only a matter of time until they find something that you do that they'll want to proscribe. Cycling on the roads, for instance, or helmets or hi-viz.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I do, about ten a day.

My body is my temple, only the finest quality Virginia Tobaccos pass my lips.
  • At what point when quitting does one go from being in the smoker category to a non-smoker?
  • At what point when quitting does one go from being in the smoker category to a non-smoker?

Never, you become a former smoker, that way they can still blame the smoking for you're potential future ill health
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    Didn't David miller smoke when he went 'off the rails'
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Didn't David miller smoke when he went 'off the rails'

Yep. They were dark times indeed.

tramp-vicar1.jpg

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Never, you become a former smoker, that way they can still blame the smoking for you're potential future ill health

The corroner informed me and my siblings that smoking had contributed to mymums death, even though she'd not somed for over thirty years.

As for myself I've never so much as had a "drag" of a ciggie. Just aswell 'cos my peak-flow is now down to 450 due to my asthma. :(
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • smoking joe i use to smoke 10 a day for years then it went up to 15 then 20+ a day now after 15 years of smoking and cycling not at the same time i have given up for good hopefully i have not smoked for 8 days its hard at first but i think it will get easer,craig white x smoker.
    going downhill slowly
  • I drive past a university on the way to work every morning and it shocks me that the amount of talented.educated peaple stood outside smoking.You would think with all those brains they would know whats good for them.I`m thick as two short planks and i know it`s just wrong.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    I drive past a university on the way to work every morning and it shocks me that the amount of talented.educated peaple stood outside smoking.You would think with all those brains they would know whats good for them.I`m thick as two short planks and i know it`s just wrong.
    It depends whether your philosophy is to try and eek every last minute out of your existence or just enjoy the ride.

We'll all be dead for billions of years when our time comes, a few either way isn't going to count for much.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I dont smoke, the only time i do is when i am in bed with a female and i am on fire :wink:
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • markyone wrote:
    I dont smoke, the only time i do is when i am in bed with a female and i am on fire :wink:

Self praise is no recommendation :!:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Gave up in March 1993.
    There is no secret ingredient...