Did you get the memo? I didn't.

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Judging by the standard of idiocy I saw on the road today, it appears that today is National Be A Dick On The Road day.

Stupidly close overtakes on wide roads where there was no need to pass me so closely.
Bad observation leading to cars pulling out on me from side roads.
Cars slamming on the brakes to stop for peds who didn't even look like crossing at Zebra crossings.
Cars indicating left and turning right.
Cars indicating right and turning left.
Suicidal peds stepping into the road without looking.
Nodders wearing massive 'I'm a club DJ' headphones.
Nodders riding in the Door Zone.
Nodders performing very late lane changes without observation.
Cyclists riding deliberately slowly and blocking traffic (well, one car).

I have to admit that last one was me after a car was about to pull out on me and was only stopped by my Airzound. The car then sat a few inches off my back wheel and revved their engine in an attempt to intimidate me, whilst swearing at me and beeping their horn.

I usually enjoy urban cycling and see it as a bit of an adventure sport, but today was something else and no fun at all.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• certainly is numptyville out there. I'm having a right week of it all. fed up with the lot of them
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You know. I'd love for some of you guys to share my morning commute. You wouldn't know what hit you.

Quite apart from never actually stopping for the whole 12 miles, you'd have to cope with pitch black roads, almost no cars for 75% of it, peace and quiet and people actually being nice to you.

It really is a whole different world when you commute through the countryside.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Remember you were a nodder once..... Lots of muppets out there but I can't help think what I must of looked like when I started.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • You could add "nodders trying to filter between me and the kerb at the same time I'm filtering up that channel", which was last night's pet peeve.

Perhaps it is midwinter madness.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Remember you were a nodder once..... Lots of muppets out there but I can't help think what I must have looked like when I started.....

very true. but it doesn't stop new cyclists from being polite and obeying the rules of the road. or just using common sense.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:
    You could add "nodders trying to filter between me and the kerb at the same time I'm filtering up that channel",

ARGH...

So travelling Westwards up embankment, right into Parliament Sq . .

next is a light controlled tight left onto the sq proper - I'm on the left as I'm heading off on the first exit . .

I know there's some iron work just on the inside of the corner and I like to give myself some space as cars cut the corner . . .

Following me here are you . . .

Some fecking idiot undertakes me into the tight corner carrying too much speed and pushes me out into the traffic.

FFS.

Reminds me of the fecking idiot who sneaked up the inside as I over took a stationary van at cheyne walk and caused all kinds of drama.

I'm going to ride the next guy who does it into the pavement.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    You could add "nodders trying to filter between me and the kerb at the same time I'm filtering up that channel",

ARGH...

So travelling Westwards up embankment, right into Parliament Sq . .

next is a light controlled tight left onto the sq proper - I'm on the left as I'm heading off on the first exit . .

I know there's some iron work just on the inside of the corner and I like to give myself some space as cars cut the corner . . .

Following me here are you . . .

Some fecking idiot undertakes me into the tight corner carrying too much speed and pushes me out into the traffic.

FFS.

Reminds me of the fecking idiot who sneaked up the inside as I over took a stationary van at cheyne walk and caused all kinds of drama.

I'm going to ride the next guy who does it into the pavement.

Sounds absolutely fair enough to me. I had this done to me by a motorbike the other day - one of the high-powered, look-at-me-I'm-quite-the-man pseudo-race bikes zipped up the inside of me on the south side of Chelsea Bridge as we both approached a red light. Asked him what the f*** that was all about, but he could only manage grunted monosyllables in response.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    On my journey home there is a roundabout with two other exits one going left the other going right. I go right. Now I'm hardly going to be over to the left of left lane if I'm turning right as I will get left hooked. So I move to centre of road giving plenty of space for those turning left to do so on my left and those turning right to do so on the right. I do this a fair distance before the roundabout in order to make it absolutely clear I'm going right. Twice this week I've had idiot motorists try to undertake me on the left hand side whilst goign round the roundabout, I would not mind this if there is a straight on as well as left and right exits and the car was going straight on but when it's completely obivous to all but an idiot that I'm going right why undertake me and force your way round. Still being shouted at appeared to do the trick as they both stopped and let me through first.
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    NODDERGEDDON

My personal dickish favourite are motorcycles who like to needlessly rev their engines.

Me, going around Elelphant and Castle, which with the new layout/traffic lights, IMO makes everything more difficult.

I'm heading to Clapham Junction, I've just gone round the first rounadbout nailed the bend and am now bombarded with buses on my left (Ele-castle is on my left) trying to pull out. One of which was the infamous bendy bus. Traffic on my right and too my immediate right, but just behind me is a monumental prick on a motorcycle revving his engine as though that is going to make us all speed up.

I slow my bike right down, stare him in the eye with my 'Where the F*CK do you think your going to go' look and he backs off.

What worries me is that there are more of these types. People who are desperate to get ahead of you, only to be stuck in traffic 2 inches further along the road.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I must say that this has been my worst week of morons for years. My commute is fairly incident free, but this week has really been a good one to the point that every day someone has tried to get me.

Last night a car in Richmond pulled out of a side road and I entered up swerving into the opposite lane. Luckily I had a spider-sense feeling it was going to happen a second before so I checked my exit options as I couldn't stop in time. Then later in the journey a cyclist pulled out of a side road in Putney and that turned into a whole wobble evasion exercise that was MMs apart. He didn't even acknowledge the error at all even with a polite "watch out" bellowed part way through my arc.

I'm having a day on PT for a rest today.
  • rjsterry
    Sketchley wrote:
    On my journey home there is a roundabout with two other exits one going left the other going right. I go right. Now I'm hardly going to be over to the left of left lane if I'm turning right as I will get left hooked. So I move to centre of road giving plenty of space for those turning left to do so on my left and those turning right to do so on the right. I do this a fair distance before the roundabout in order to make it absolutely clear I'm going right. Twice this week I've had idiot motorists try to undertake me on the left hand side whilst goign round the roundabout, I would not mind this if there is a straight on as well as left and right exits and the car was going straight on but when it's completely obivous to all but an idiot that I'm going right why undertake me and force your way round. Still being shouted at appeared to do the trick as they both stopped and let me through first.

Ditto at the south corner of Figges Marsh, heading from Tooting to Mitcham - guaranteed at least once a week some clown will take the LH lane, then swing past the first two exits and cut in as I try to turn off at the third.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Have to agree - since Christmas there has been a change. Here's hoping that natural selection weeds out the unsuitable as quickly as possible either by death or by broken resolutions!

(More of the latter, preferably I suppose, but not in ALL cases :evil: )
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • EKE_38BPM
    I'm sure the motorbike riders can confirm this, but motorbikes use the gyroscopic effect of the revving engine to aid their balance at low speeds.
    Not sure if this applies to the situation you decribes, but once I knew that my acceptance of bikers improved.

• sketchley
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm sure the motorbike riders can confirm this, but motorbikes use the gyroscopic effect of the revving engine to aid their balance at low speeds.
    Not sure if this applies to the situation you decribes, but once I knew that my acceptance of bikers improved.

Maybe they do, but some clearly use reving the engine as a way of saying "I'm here and you're in my way".....
    --
    Chris

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    hfidgen wrote:
    Have to agree - since Christmas there has been a change. Here's hoping that natural selection weeds out the unsuitable as quickly as possible either by death or by broken resolutions!

(More of the latter, preferably I suppose, but not in ALL cases :evil: )

There certainly has been a noticeable increase in bike commuting since Christmas/new Year. I put it down to people making NY resolutions to try to shift the fat and jumping on the bike....

My boss has occasional blitzes when he cycles to work every day... He's doing it now but I predict he'll be back on the Tube/in taxis in Feb... That's what happened last year.

It'll all die down in about a month and then pick up again in April or May when the evenings are noticeably longer and it has got warmer.

It's the annual cycling cycle...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    On the subject of motorcycles; do most riders know that they should not cross an ASL on red, or block entry to the ASL Box? Is there some kind of collective misunderstanding that cycle lanes and ASL are there for their benefit too? Or are they simply ignoring the law?
    --
    Chris

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sketchley wrote:
    On the subject of motorcycles; do most riders know that they should not cross an ASL on red, or block entry to the ASL Box? Is there some kind of collective misunderstanding that cycle lanes and ASL are there for their benefit too? Or are they simply ignoring the law?

I think it started as a cheeky ignore the law situation but now I think most motorcyclists believe they are allowed in the ASL box because no one has ever stopped them (police never enforce them). I've had motorcyclists look at me angrily as I squeeze up in front of them in the ASL where I'm supposed to be and they are NOT supposed to be. Many clearly believe they are allowed there
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The memo came round up here on Tuesday morning. I picked up the phone and had a rant to the Northern Constabulary. The lady on the other end agreed that driving standards are poor. It transpires that the traffic cops only worry about the major routes (there are only 2) and the "bobbies" have other stuff to do (god knows what as we have the lowest level of crime in the UK)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    A bus had nearly hit a lorry this morning and they were having a right old barney at each other instead of moving to the side and letting people past... the traffic was proper borked for quite some way back.

Myself and another cyclist had a good laugh about it.. further up the road a cop car screamed past heading towards it I assumed.

Other than that everyone seemed fine
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Its a jungle out there. Stay safe and don't take it personal.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Nah! This is BS I'm afraid. I never noticed any gyroscopic effect from the engine, except on my CX500 which had an in-line engine. If you were particularly sensitive to it you could feel a slight sideways kick when stationary, but it made no dicernible difference to the balance
    The gyroscopic effect of a couple of kilos (max) of crankshaft is going to make sod all difference to keeping a 200KG motorbike upright.
    You see pit crews at race meetings blipping the throttle to warm up the engine prior to a race which will be where they get it from, but on a modern road bike with electronic fuel injection it's completely unecessary. The engine will quite happily tick over without this affectation.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Sketchley wrote:

I think it's more a case of the law ignoring them :)

I don't believe you'll ever see anyone done for this, unless they've done something else as well and the cops lump it on to the charges.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rjsterry
    thecrofter wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Nah! This is BS I'm afraid. I never noticed any gyroscopic effect from the engine, except on my CX500 which had an in-line engine. If you were particularly sensitive to it you could feel a slight sideways kick when stationary, but it made no dicernible difference to the balance
    The gyroscopic effect of a couple of kilos (max) of crankshaft is going to make sod all difference to keeping a 200KG motorbike upright.
    You see pit crews at race meetings blipping the throttle to warm up the engine prior to a race which will be where they get it from, but on a modern road bike with electronic fuel injection it's completely unecessary. The engine will quite happily tick over without this affectation.

+1 Not a motorcyclist, but it just sounds like a load of cobblers. The same applies to non-motorised bikes: it's the 'castoring' effect that encourages the bike to straighten up, not the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels. Certainly for some, the revving is all about making them feel all big and important.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I'm not tempted to roll up next to a motorbike in an ASL in then make engine noises with my mouth.

BRRRMMMMMM

BRRRMMMMBRMMBRMMBRMMMMMMM

BRMMMRMMMMMMMM

Or could do my best Inbetweeners impression...
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • If I can be bothered, and think they can hear me, I have been known to compliment motorbikers in ASLs on their bicycle. Note, bicycle, not bike.

In other news, don't get bogged down by the hate. Makes your riding a less enjoyable experience. Let go. There are idiots everywhere.
  • EKE_38BPM
    rjsterry wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

+1 Not a motorcyclist, but it just sounds like a load of cobblers. The same applies to non-motorised bikes: it's the 'castoring' effect that encourages the bike to straighten up, not the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels. Certainly for some, the revving is all about making them feel all big and important.

RJSTERRY, I meant the gyroscopic effect of the engine revving, not the road wheels rotating.
    Never having ridden a big motorbike (my old 50cc could never be described as 'big') I am not speaking from experience, but the gyroscopic effect can be quite strong.
    I know a hand spun bicycle wheel (26" without a tyre, innertube or rim tape) is enough to spin me (~82kg) around on an office swivel chair when held at an angle or resisting my efforts to spin on the chair when held vertically. A 1000cc motorbike with the engine spinning at ~2000 rpm *may* have some effect to help maintain balance at low speed.

I will definitely accept that revving can be used for intimidation though.

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I got pulled out on twice today from side roads. It really is the best course of action to expect it at every junction.

Also perfecting the upturned palm and quizzical/hacked-off look is coming on nicely. :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • the motorcycle revving gyroscopic thing made me laugh. It's an affectation, serving little real purpose, unless your bike has a habit of stalling. Most likely just showing off!

If done when manoeuvring, one reason might be that motorbikes are difficult to ride slowly on the throttle, so you end up 'riding' the clutch a lot. Therefore keeping the revs up makes the whole movement smoother.

From a standstill, I guess it helps you get a good start to beat the cyclists to the next red light 100m down the road...
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Maybe I'm a bit thick or naive, but so long as nobody actually runs me over then I'm really not fussed about poor or dangerous driving.

So maybe I occasionally need to make an extreme manouvre or summat. It's all vaguely similar to dodging trees, rocks and ruts at speed when out on my MTB.

Cars et al are merely another element of highway furniture along with bollards, kerbs and what-not. Just stuff to negotiate around and not come into contact with. Maybe it's more likely you will as they're moving, but I find the mentality is similar.

And As LiT said, there are idiots everywhere.

Nowt you can do about 'em.
    The problems are never going to go away.
    May as well learn to live with them.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    8 mile commute into Tottenham - incident free for 32 months!!! :)
    Still breathing.....