Oh no... am I a roadie now?!?!?!

2»

Comments

• <Dura Ace is nice; you know it's worth it, the silent, subtle change of gears>

I have Dura-Ace bits........what is this "change of gears" of which you speak?
    Unwashed (but well-lubricated) fixed thing, jeans, DMs - FCN 7(?)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    either way dave its a winner for the planned ride this year, taking it to the race for life will work fine also, plus snow riding i'm thinking on attempting on it should work ok(ish) once i'm used to it.

So that trek madone i'm getting too.... :lol:

are you stalking me? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Haha well if you want me too :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Well, I've been ever been accused of grooming anyone. I think I like it!!! :shock: :lol:
  • perhaps i should of titled this thread, i am a roadie and ultimate perv of the commuting forum, you fancy some? :lol:
  • I'm not a roadie, just road-curious... :D
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    have you been out for a morning ride yet with other guys 'just for a spin out'

and half an hour later you're in the big ring dishing out pain whilst trying to make it look like you have more in the tank ????

oh yeah - THAT's roadie :twisted:
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    yes, i'm pretty sure i can, if all else fails it will be a specialized crux road elite 2011, just the option of disc brakes and a steel frame appeal to me hense my choice of the genisis
    Have you seen this? Ticks all the boxes and at a cracking price! I was seriously considering getting one.
    kona-honky-inc-2010-road-bike.jpg
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec021790

Also, 2011 model...
    kona-honky-inc-2011-road-bike.jpg
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec026517
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah, I looked at a Honky Inc when I was choosing the CdF too. Looked pretty decent, not sure about weight.

Another option would be a Planet X Pompetamine - that wasn't on the market when I chose the CdF, I'd've probably ended up with one if it was.

Sorta been put off steel for the time being though. At least for commuting purposes. *

* Yes, I know there are some very nice steel frames out there. I'm just not convinced that steel frames at the commuting pricepoint are better than their counterparts.
  • they are ace bikes, i wonder if you have just changed my mind!

Edit: not too CX enough after a dabble there, definetly will have a look in the flesh when im going to see the CDF again however
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    kelsen wrote:
    Have you seen this? Ticks all the boxes and at a cracking price! I was seriously considering getting one.

*pretty things.....*

You are an awful, awful man.

I must not spend money on bike stuff
    I might not spend money on bike stuff
    I might spend money on bike stuff
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • ive just looked at a new garmin edge, deal extreame front and rear lights, a set of oakleys and all down to that lovely bike haha
  • kelsen
    they are ace bikes, i wonder if you have just changed my mind!

Edit: not too CX enough after a dabble there, definetly will have a look in the flesh when im going to see the CDF again however
    The only real difference between this and the CdF that I can see are the cross tyres on the CdF? Hardly worth paying £300 more I'd say. Oh, and the Genesis throws in a lower spec groupset for free! :D
    davis wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

*pretty things.....*
    You are an awful, awful man.

I might not spend money on bike stuff
    I might spend money on bike stuff
    :twisted:
  • kelsen wrote:

The only real difference between this and the CdF that I can see are the cross tyres on the CdF? Hardly worth paying £300 more I'd say. Oh, and the Genesis throws in a lower spec groupset for free! :D

interesting, i'll look at it more now, kona is really good imo
  • kelsen
    kelsen wrote:

interesting, i'll look at it more now, kona is really good imo

Good man! I did a lot of reading up on this as I was after a new cross bike as well to replace my Tricross. For the price, the 2010 Honky Inc is pretty hard to beat, and I'm sure if you threw on a set of cyclocross tyres, it'll do pretty much everything a specifically marketed cross bike can do. The only issue is the weight, but any steel/cyclocross bike is going to be heavier than a pure road bike anyway.

As for not being CX enough, have you seen the heritage...

The Kona Honky Tonk 2010 Road Bike. Born from the dark depths and rainy streets of Kona's Pacific Northwest, based design office, this work-horse, no-nonsense, fender-ready utilitarian road riding machine, conceived by Kona's legendary Factory Team* cyclocross racer Erik Tonkin from Portland, Oregon-the Tonkinator, has classic road geometry and looks like a real bike. Put on your slickers Elmer, it's time to git'r done.

* U.S. World Championship Cyclocross Team
  • very interesting, i'll be looking to see if i can test ride both in that case