Oh no... am I a roadie now?!?!?!

tptvmbircn
tptvmbircn Posts: 782
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
As much as i love my MTB, my next purchase is a Croix De Fer, I've got a minimal obsession, full guards are the only guards that work, I lust over speed and don't get me started with the sexy drop bars...

Is this a good thing? Do i need to age a bit at 24 is this wierd? :lol:

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Croix de fer, nice as it is, hardly makes you a "roadie".
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Stuey01 wrote:

good or a bad thing?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    Nice bike, though you are displaying some worrying roadie tendencies. The tie breaker is whether you have any unnatural urges to put on tight fitting, brightly coloured clothing to ride it :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • oh i'm still baggy shorted, well suppose i'm a wanna be roadie in that case, hopefully should be ordering this around march, it's only took a year plus to figure out what i've wanted to purchase
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Stuey01 wrote:

This is how it starts . . . .

You buy a nice bike - love it to death.

Somone says.

Ah yeak 105, top kit.

You look over at their Ultegra, you go home, google Ultegra, realise you NEED Ultegra, no-one needs Dura Ace. Until at some point later you notice someone with Dura Ace.

In answer to your question.

Yes.

You've bought a roadish bike AND had someone has told you you need to up your game. Welcome!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

This is how it starts . . . .

You buy a nice bike - love it to death.

Somone says.

Ah yeak 105, top kit.

You look over at their Ultegra, you go home, google Ultegra, realise you NEED Ultegra, no-one needs Dura Ace. Until at some point later you notice someone with Dura Ace.

In answer to your question.

Yes.

You've bought a roadish bike AND had someone has told you you need to up your game. Welcome!

Fair point, i know a few things about components already and its just speed i love now, not too bothered about all this rad hip hop jump malarkey, and i'm going to attempt some club runs and a time trial, not the perfect bike i know that but really as a beat my own time thing
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You've begun the transformation. Good man. Greener grass and finer lines await you. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    As much as i love my MTB, my next purchase is a Croix De Fer, I've got a minimal obsession, full guards are the only guards that work, I lust over speed and don't get me started with the sexy drop bars...

Is this a good thing? Do i need to age a bit at 24 is this wierd? :lol:

Age is not the problem mate. You are now on a slippery slope and the good folk of BR will push you downhill :lol:

I, of course, am the lone voice/keyboard of moderation :twisted:
  • haha *Makes commuting forum his home* well i'm in the right place then i see :lol:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Stuey01 wrote:

good or a bad thing?

I'd say it's a step in the right direction (former "mountain biker"... as of this week my road bikes outnumber my mountain bikes)
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    cjcp wrote:
    You've begun the transformation. Good man. Greener grass and finer lines await you. 8)

You will also find that members of the opposite sex (or same sex even) become irresistibly attracted to you
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    So.

Wa'cha gonna buy after the CdF? What lights are you running? Got the Rapha merino clothing plus Sidi footwear on order yet? :twisted:

Just trying to help 8)
  • Stuey01 wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

good or a bad thing?

I'd say it's a step in the right direction (former "mountain biker"... as of this week my road bikes outnumber my mountain bikes)

interesting, well following your lead in that case
    kelsen wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

You will also find that members of the opposite sex (or same sex even) become irresistibly attracted to you

well once upon a time i was a singlett however a child and ring later kind of changes things, does that make me greedy? :lol:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    So.

Wa'cha gonna buy after the CdF? What lights are you running? Got the Rapha merino clothing plus Sidi footwear on order yet? :twisted:

Just trying to help 8)

that's it really, what next, i've got a slight obsession with a cube TT at the moment also humm...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    kelsen wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

This is true. It's not their fault. They're just flesh and blood, mere mortals; they cannot resist.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ...wanders in...

...nods appreciatively at a new pervert...

...wanders out....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The CdF is more for the "Roadie curious", if you must dabble your toe before getting the full gimp suit, then so be it.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    kelsen wrote:
    cafewanda wrote:
    Just trying to help

I BET you are, now he's got a road bike!

QED

I believe that the interweb term for this is grooming.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • finnj6
    finnj6 Posts: 45
    Hmm Googled Imaged various phrases around gimps cycling turned out to be one of the least interesting searches I've ever done.

Not one pic of anything remotely close
    Lappiere X-Control 210
    Columbus X-Wing
    Fuji track
    Treck 1500 with Campag
    Soon to be Colnago Masters
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Greg T wrote:

but Dura Ace is nice; you know it's worth it, the silent, subtle change of gears hmmmm
  • Been there, doing that.

Started with Genesis vapour (don't think Croix de Fer existed then). Put slicks on. Bought fulcrum 5 wheels. Ultegra bits. Various saddles and all manner of bits and bobs. Almost bought a ribble carbon thing. Almost bought a CAAD9. Now trying to decide whether to have custom built steel frame or a Ti one.
  • ...wanders in...

...nods appreciatively at a new pervert...

...wanders out....

I actually laughed out loud at this, browsers on mobile phones and short walks to the local spar do not go well together, i expect the guys in white coats next :roll:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I haven't really been that impressed with my CdF. Seriously considering replacing it with a Kinesis Tripster later in the year.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good bike - but it's just too heavy to be a fast bike. It feels dead on the road. And that's after having upgraded the wheels (the ones supplied are *horrifically* heavy), forks, bars, crankset, shifters, tyres, seatpost and saddle.

I really wanted to like it too. Bah.
  • Aidy wrote:
    I haven't really been that impressed with my CdF. Seriously considering replacing it with a Kinesis Tripster later in the year.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good bike - but it's just too heavy to be a fast bike. It feels dead on the road. And that's after having upgraded the wheels (the ones supplied are *horrifically* heavy), forks, bars, crankset, shifters, tyres, seatpost and saddle.

I really wanted to like it too. Bah.

Ooooh, that's not good at all is it! don't do this to me! then again when i got my crossrides for the salsa they are pretty heavy also, i'm still willing to give it a shot however i'll look into your choice also!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Ooooh, that's not good at all is it! don't do this to me! then again when i got my crossrides for the salsa they are pretty heavy also, i'm still willing to give it a shot however i'll look into your choice also!

I suspect I had unreasonably high expectations of it. It's plenty good as a commuting workhorse, I just don't find it a "fun" bike to ride.

That said, if you've not ridden "proper" road bikes, you won't know what you're missing. :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Aidy wrote:
    That said, if you've not ridden "proper" road bikes, you won't know what you're missing. :)
    That's not nice, you can't go telling him that if he likes it it's because he doesn't know what he's talking about :?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    That's not nice, you can't go telling him that if he likes it it's because he doesn't know what he's talking about :?

it's kind of true though to be honest haha, well just chatting about it there i'm going for the CDF still i guess with it being a CX and i'm doing mainly trail stuff the response will be different. Thanks for the kind gesture though dhope, much appreciated
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Any chance to ride the CDF before buying?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • yes, i'm pretty sure i can, if all else fails it will be a specialized crux road elite 2011, just the option of disc brakes and a steel frame appeal to me hense my choice of the genisis
  • Its true Terry, if you have not had a proper road bike then you don't know what you are missing. The longer wheel base and extra weight will make the difference Then again you won't exactly be a pure roadie. you will be still using trails to link up different roads. The only difference is with the CX you will be faster on both roads and tracks compared to the MTB. Another thing is certain you won't look like a pure roadie either.
  • either way dave its a winner for the planned ride this year, taking it to the race for life will work fine also, plus snow riding i'm thinking on attempting on it should work ok(ish) once i'm used to it.

So that trek madone i'm getting too.... :lol: