Audi drivers - the new swines of the road?

alanf
alanf Posts: 222
edited June 2013 in Campaign
Seems like every time now that i have a run in with a driver either on the bike or even in the car it is always an Audi. It used to be BMW drivers and VW Golf GTIs but it really has changed in the last few years.
Anyone else noticed this. Is it due to Clarkson & Co wetting their pants everytime they drive one?
Opinions please.
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
I like
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
«134

Comments

  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Parlty, but mostly because the sort of people who buy those kind of cars have a very low sense of self-esteem which they try to compenste for by driving a high performance car. They think that some of the brand ethos will rub off on to their personal lives if the drive as the cars' image suggests.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Yeah Audis and Beamers seem to have a higher rate of ignorant drivers.

    A friend at works husband drives an X5 and he refuses to indicate when turning now, much to her frustration, To55er.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I've got an A4 avant. No one will give you more room than me!
    Manchester wheelers

    PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    alanf wrote:
    Seems like every time now that i have a run in with a driver either on the bike or even in the car it always seems to be an Audi. It used to be BMW drivers and VW Golf GTIs but it really has changed in the last few years.
    Anyone else noticed this. Is it due to Clarkson & Co wetting their pants everytime they drive one?
    Opinions please.

    +++1. C*nts.

    Especially those big Audi Estate barges whose drivers think they are driving on a race track. I've been scared sh1tless a fair few times by these morons steaming up to my rear wheel slowing from an insane speed as they cannot pass due to oncoming traffic or overtaking head on on my side of the road coming straight at me forcing me to bail out onto the verge or get killed. Plus on the club ride, of the cars waiting to pass, Audi drivers invariably blow the car horn and give a one fingered salute or shout abuse as they force their way past the goup approaching a blind bend or brow of a hill. W*nkers.

    Strangely in the last few years BMWs don't seem to have posed such a problem as they used to, not to say I am not wary of them or any other car.

    Vauxhall Vectras also c*nts = poor person's Audi. Same ignorant type of driver just poorer or sales rep with company car. But generally anything with a Vauxhall badge on it you avoid like you would toxic waste.

    I have noticed the few Alfa Romeos I have encountered seem to be driven by to$$ers. Also BMW Minis - w*ankers. The drivers are always using their mobiles whilst driving either glued to their ears or texting. Then there are the huge 4x4 brigade. Don't get me started on this group of ingrates especially Range Rovers :twisted: !

    The question should really be name a make or model of car/vehicle that tends to be the most courteous to and respectful of cyclists ............ is there one?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I think Jeremy Clarkson announced two years ago on Top Gear that BMW drivers have given way to Audi drivers as the cocks of the road. It must be true :D
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    BMW drivers are by far the worst drivers on the road..

    Because their driving a BMW they think their special and that they don`t need to indicate or acknowledge other road users cars, bikes, pedestrians..

    I drive a large van and I can guarantee you that when I see a BMW behind me I`m watching it like a hawk because I know sooner or later it will pull some braindead move. Two lanes of traffic merging into one, a BMW comes racing down the outside lane, not going to happen. I just pull over and cut him up
    ________________
    Specialized til I die
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    The worst drivers in my not-at-all-extensive survey are men in MPV's. I figure they are often more than just a bit frustrated with life in general and take it out on the world on the way home from work (just like Vauxhall drivers but with more kids).

    The best seem to be Mercedes drivers. Without fail, middle aged men with nothing to prove anymore in no particular rush to get from their comfortable home to the golf course.

    Not that I would stereotype anyone you understand...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,538
    El Gordo wrote:
    The worst drivers in my not-at-all-extensive survey are men in MPV's. I figure they are often more than just a bit frustrated with life in general and take it out on the world on the way home from work (just like Vauxhall drivers but with more kids).

    The best seem to be Mercedes drivers. Without fail, middle aged men with nothing to prove anymore in no particular rush to get from their comfortable home to the golf course.

    Not that I would stereotype anyone you understand...

    The abuse my father gets in his mercedes would suggest otherwise.

    They're so big and quiet you don't really realise you're doing 80 in a 30 and you've knocked 4 cyclists off.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, it appears on the one hand I am a to$$er and on the other I'm a bit frustrated with life in general and take it out on the world on the way home from work...

    Depends which car I use...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Ones I crashed due to a bad driver, it was an Audi, once I nearly crashed in the same way due to a bad driver, it was a BMW.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    freehub wrote:
    Ones I crashed due to a bad driver, it was an Audi, once I nearly crashed in the same way due to a bad driver, it was a BMW.

    Let me guess, you used to own an Audi and later a BMW? :oops:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Well, it appears on the one hand I am a to$$er and on the other I'm a bit frustrated with life in general and take it out on the world on the way home from work...

    Depends which car I use...

    Ah, but you're a cyclist and we've got more pressing stereotypes to live up to.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,242
    WTF? I suppose this thread has got the usual rants from the usual suspects! Could it just be that people in shiny cars get noticed more than those in drab 10 year old wrecks? Or could it be there's a few bitter and twisted class warriors on this forum who dislike the fact that others have better cars than them? Besides, what happened to the white van man stereotype? Surely they are the worst drivers on the road? Then again what do I know as I must be a particularly bad offender having had 2 BMWs, an Audi and currently a Mini as company cars (just ordered a VW Golf) so I must be a real c*** as Dilemna would say! I'm just glad I've never owned a Vectra as I'd be beyond redemption. Dilemna seems to be the opposite side to the coin of someone like James Martin ranting on about motorists and always using the 'c' word to describe anyone driving anything with an engine. I can't see how the type of car has any bearing on how someone behaves, an idiot is an idiot no matter what car they drive or if the are riding a bike / walking and there's a fair few of them on this forum.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    :lol:

    Obviously the rule isnt all encompasing.
    Like in all walks of life there is good and bad everywhere, so Pross id say you could be a really nice bloke with two BMW's
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Pross wrote:
    WTF? I suppose this thread has got the usual rants from the usual suspects! Could it just be that people in shiny cars get noticed more than those in drab 10 year old wrecks? Or could it be there's a few bitter and twisted class warriors on this forum who dislike the fact that others have better cars than them? Besides, what happened to the white van man stereotype? Surely they are the worst drivers on the road? Then again what do I know as I must be a particularly bad offender having had 2 BMWs, an Audi and currently a Mini as company cars (just ordered a VW Golf) so I must be a real c*** as Dilemna would say! I'm just glad I've never owned a Vectra as I'd be beyond redemption. Dilemna seems to be the opposite side to the coin of someone like James Martin ranting on about motorists and always using the 'c' word to describe anyone driving anything with an engine. I can't see how the type of car has any bearing on how someone behaves, an idiot is an idiot no matter what car they drive or if the are riding a bike / walking and there's a fair few of them on this forum.

    You Pross are a total prick.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,242
    Takes one to know one mate. On the plus side that's a step up from a c*** which you seem to call every motorist on every thread you contribute to so I'll take it as a positive cheers :lol:
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Used to drive an Audi, currently drive a BMW and thinking of going back to Audi. Do 30k business miles PA and a keen cyclist.

    I honestly cannot believe the stereotypical nonsense on this thread against certain motoring brands !!! :?
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Used to drive an Audi, currently drive a BMW and thinking of going back to Audi. Do 30k business miles PA and a keen cyclist.

    I honestly cannot believe the stereotypical nonsense on this thread against certain motoring brands !!! :?

    Perhaps maybe you should spend less time in a car and more on a bike?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Pross wrote:
    Takes one to know one mate. On the plus side that's a step up from a c*** which you seem to call every motorist on every thread you contribute to so I'll take it as a positive cheers :lol:

    You seem to be targetting me with your nasty snide remarks. Judging from your pic you are probably a miserable old git who doesn't even ride let a lone own a bike whose only experiences of cycling are through a key board. Kindly direct your nasty personal comments elsewhere.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,242
    dilemna wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Takes one to know one mate. On the plus side that's a step up from a c*** which you seem to call every motorist on every thread you contribute to so I'll take it as a positive cheers :lol:

    You seem to be targetting me with your nasty snide remarks. Judging from your pic you are probably a miserable old git who doesn't even ride let a lone own a bike whose only experiences of cycling are through a key board. Kindly direct your nasty personal comments elsewhere.

    I'm targetting you because your comments regarding drivers are over the top, calling for those involved in accidents to be strung up, constantly using the c word to describe them etc. etc.. The vast majority of drivers are courteous and safe, there are others who are oblivious to the needs of cyclists through ignorance and require educating and others who are just dangerous and should be kicked off the roads and locked up. Tarring all drivers (and especially those who drive a particular model of car) is totally counter-productive. I think you need to try getting a bit of balance and perspective when you comment on motorists especially bearing in mind that the vast majority of adult cyclists also drive.

    As for the comments about my picture, how does a picture of me riding my bike in a hill climb possibly suggest to you that I "don't ride a bike let alone own one"? :roll: I currently ride over 5,000 miles a year and used to regularly do double that. My current riding includes a 40 mile round trip commute through 2 city centres whenever possible so I know the dangers cyclists face. In addition I work in road safety so have experience of the impact that poor driving has!

    Before crying about personal comments I really think you ought to take a look at who has called who names on this and other threads.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Pross wrote:
    WTF? I suppose this thread has got the usual rants from the usual suspects! Could it just be that people in shiny cars get noticed more than those in drab 10 year old wrecks? Or could it be there's a few bitter and twisted class warriors on this forum who dislike the fact that others have better cars than them?

    +1. Sounds like obvious confirmatory bias. I've had unpleasant encounters with motorists in all types of vehicles. My own experiences have taught me to be most wary around 'boy racers' and elderly drivers, whatever make of car they're in. The nastiest experience was with a dude in an aging VW Combi - the archetypal hippy love bus. There are morons in all sorts of vehicles, and no shortage of them on bikes too - as this thread proves.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    CrackFox wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    WTF? I suppose this thread has got the usual rants from the usual suspects! Could it just be that people in shiny cars get noticed more than those in drab 10 year old wrecks? Or could it be there's a few bitter and twisted class warriors on this forum who dislike the fact that others have better cars than them?

    +1. Sounds like obvious confirmatory bias. I've had unpleasant encounters with motorists in all types of vehicles. My own experiences have taught me to be most wary around 'boy racers' and elderly drivers, whatever make of car they're in. The nastiest experience was with a dude in an aging VW Combi - the archetypal hippy love bus. There are morons in all sorts of vehicles, and no shortage of them on bikes too - as this thread proves.

    Got to agree here. Pross and crack Fox the only sensible comments on this thread. I ride about 3000 miles a year and the number of times I have had issues with other road users inconsiderate actions have had no bearing on what vehicle they drive. You find inconsiderate road users in/on all types of vehicle including cyclists. If I was to stereotype my experience both on a bike or in a car is that so called "professional" Drivers are the worst as Bus Drivers, Lorry Drivers, Van Drivers, Taxi's often are the ones I notice driving without due care and attention. However that would be unfair as they would be a tiny fraction of all the professional drivers out there. I agree that certain people are encouraged to drive faster than their ability when in a sporty/exec car and the Top Gear culture only fuels this groups passions. But like anything its always a small minority that fuel the stereo types just like the cyclists that jump red lights give us all a bad name.

    Some on here are showing themselves up with their narrow minded views....
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    ALaPlage wrote:
    CrackFox wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    WTF? I suppose this thread has got the usual rants from the usual suspects! Could it just be that people in shiny cars get noticed more than those in drab 10 year old wrecks? Or could it be there's a few bitter and twisted class warriors on this forum who dislike the fact that others have better cars than them?

    +1. Sounds like obvious confirmatory bias. I've had unpleasant encounters with motorists in all types of vehicles. My own experiences have taught me to be most wary around 'boy racers' and elderly drivers, whatever make of car they're in. The nastiest experience was with a dude in an aging VW Combi - the archetypal hippy love bus. There are morons in all sorts of vehicles, and no shortage of them on bikes too - as this thread proves.

    Got to agree here. Pross and crack Fox the only sensible comments on this thread. I ride about 3000 miles a year and the number of times I have had issues with other road users inconsiderate actions have had no bearing on what vehicle they drive. You find inconsiderate road users in/on all types of vehicle including cyclists. If I was to stereotype my experience both on a bike or in a car is that so called "professional" Drivers are the worst as Bus Drivers, Lorry Drivers, Van Drivers, Taxi's often are the ones I notice driving without due care and attention. However that would be unfair as they would be a tiny fraction of all the professional drivers out there. I agree that certain people are encouraged to drive faster than their ability when in a sporty/exec car and the Top Gear culture only fuels this groups passions. But like anything its always a small minority that fuel the stereo types just like the cyclists that jump red lights give us all a bad name.

    Some on here are showing themselves up with their narrow minded views....

    Ha! You're a part time/leisure cyclist perhaps you should get on your bike more rather than seeing the world from behind your car's steering wheel and feeling you know everything about cycling and road riding. You are not on your bike long enough to form any general opinions about what types of vehicles tend to be driven by aggressive morons. I ride many more miles than you 12,000 - 14,000, maybe slightly more, a year so I feel well qualified to speak on this issue. My wariness of particular types of vehilce or person has kept me alive so far. Anything with a Vauxhall badge on it you watch out for as they are invariably driven by knuckle draggers. In 1999 I was taken down by Vauxhall driver, a Vectra and then just before Christmas I was taken down by another Vauxhall driver in an Astra. Audis are basically driven by people who have a bit more money than Vauxhall drivers. They are still brain dead when they are behind the wheel. To prove my point last thursday I was dangerously close passed by yet another Audi A4 moton who gave me a one fingered salute for having the nerve to be cycling on the road. Then later when I was crossing a busy road traffic had stopped and the nearest vehicle driver a Golf held back for me to cross as I did so a fat to$$er in a suit and tie dialing and driving in an Audi A4 pulled out of the line of traffic about 4 cars back and sped down the near side lane nearly knocking me down. I had to jump for my life. Going out to the club run on a sunday morning another fat to$$er in an Audi A4 barge invariably comes past me at just before 8am driving at about 50-60mph in a clearly marked 30mph residential road which then goes to 40mph. I have also been passed by the same to$$er in the same car where he is driving at well over 80mph on national speed limit roads. I find by far the most considerate drivers are Porsche drivers as they have nothing to prove ...................
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Like I said, I drive an A4. Look forward to bouncing you off my bonnet some time soon.

    [just to fit in with your sweeping generalisation of course] :roll:
    Manchester wheelers

    PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,242
    dilemna wrote:
    ALaPlage wrote:
    CrackFox wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    WTF? I suppose this thread has got the usual rants from the usual suspects! Could it just be that people in shiny cars get noticed more than those in drab 10 year old wrecks? Or could it be there's a few bitter and twisted class warriors on this forum who dislike the fact that others have better cars than them?

    +1. Sounds like obvious confirmatory bias. I've had unpleasant encounters with motorists in all types of vehicles. My own experiences have taught me to be most wary around 'boy racers' and elderly drivers, whatever make of car they're in. The nastiest experience was with a dude in an aging VW Combi - the archetypal hippy love bus. There are morons in all sorts of vehicles, and no shortage of them on bikes too - as this thread proves.

    Got to agree here. Pross and crack Fox the only sensible comments on this thread. I ride about 3000 miles a year and the number of times I have had issues with other road users inconsiderate actions have had no bearing on what vehicle they drive. You find inconsiderate road users in/on all types of vehicle including cyclists. If I was to stereotype my experience both on a bike or in a car is that so called "professional" Drivers are the worst as Bus Drivers, Lorry Drivers, Van Drivers, Taxi's often are the ones I notice driving without due care and attention. However that would be unfair as they would be a tiny fraction of all the professional drivers out there. I agree that certain people are encouraged to drive faster than their ability when in a sporty/exec car and the Top Gear culture only fuels this groups passions. But like anything its always a small minority that fuel the stereo types just like the cyclists that jump red lights give us all a bad name.

    Some on here are showing themselves up with their narrow minded views....

    Ha! You're a part time/leisure cyclist perhaps you should get on your bike more rather than seeing the world from behind your car's steering wheel and feeling you know everything about cycling and road riding. You are not on your bike long enough to form any general opinions about what types of vehicles tend to be driven by aggressive morons. I ride many more miles than you 12,000 - 14,000, maybe slightly more, a year so I feel well qualified to speak on this issue. My wariness of particular types of vehilce or person has kept me alive so far. Anything with a Vauxhall badge on it you watch out for as they are invariably driven by knuckle draggers. In 1999 I was taken down by Vauxhall driver, a Vectra and then just before Christmas I was taken down by another Vauxhall driver in an Astra. Audis are basically driven by people who have a bit more money than Vauxhall drivers. They are still brain dead when they are behind the wheel. To prove my point last thursday I was dangerously close passed by yet another Audi A4 moton who gave me a one fingered salute for having the nerve to be cycling on the road. Then later when I was crossing a busy road traffic had stopped and the nearest vehicle driver a Golf held back for me to cross as I did so a fat to$$er in a suit and tie dialing and driving in an Audi A4 pulled out of the line of traffic about 4 cars back and sped down the near side lane nearly knocking me down. I had to jump for my life. Going out to the club run on a sunday morning another fat to$$er in an Audi A4 barge invariably comes past me at just before 8am driving at about 50-60mph in a clearly marked 30mph residential road which then goes to 40mph. I have also been passed by the same to$$er in the same car where he is driving at well over 80mph on national speed limit roads. I find by far the most considerate drivers are Porsche drivers as they have nothing to prove ...................

    :roll: You really are doing your best to prove my point about you!
  • a_n_t wrote:
    Like I said, I drive an A4. Look forward to bouncing you off my bonnet some time soon.

    [just to fit in with your sweeping generalisation of course] :roll:

    +1
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    a_n_t wrote:
    Like I said, I drive an A4. Look forward to bouncing you off my bonnet some time soon.

    [just to fit in with your sweeping generalisation of course] :roll:

    I didn't expect anyone to admit that they met with my observations. You've scored a bit of an own goal chap. I guess there is always one though :roll: . You just prove my point, stupid as well :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Fabian Cancellara drives an Audi Q7:

    http://www.fabiancancellara.ch/ch/cance ... abian.html

    I'm guessing he cycles a fair few miles each year.
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    I find Volvo drivers are the most considerate out there.