How do you dry your clothes?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
My lycra is soaked right through.

On top of that a person in my office has said she doesn't feel its hygenic to hang my clothes on the radiator, even if it is turned off so they dry naturally. "They permeate" apparently. No different to a soaked coat worn and sweated right through every winter for 5 years running. But I cycle so I am an outsider to such tollerances.

So now I ask, what do you lot do to dry soaked clothes.

Currently my clothes are sitting in the photocopying room in a plastic bag.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Was it the smelly old woman who complained?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I just hang mine up in a corner of the office, lycra soon drys. I wouldn't keep them in a bag, the thought of putting on soaking wet lycra is not pleasant.

Surely it is more hygenic to hang the clothes up to dry, rather than have them lying somewhere completely soaking.

Perhaps talk to someone higher up the management chain to get a room/area set aside for drying wet clothes.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I put mine in the drying cupboard.

This a cupboard full of wet clothes and no verntilation.

Osmosis cupboard would be a better description.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I hang mine on the coat hanger in my office. Fortunately, I only ever share it with one other person at a time, and they are extremely bike friendly so it's all good. Plus it's a jacket (so similar to a coat and therefore acceptable), and a couple of layers of quick drying no smell merino. Shoes go behind the Mac Pro and RAID (8 cores worth of drying heat).

I think I'm lucky to be working somewhere I have essentially my own space for this stuff, and to be working somewhere where so many people cycle in relative to the number of people I have to deal with.

Surely letting it ferment in a plastic bag is the worst possible option, even if it is the only one available to you right now?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Hang em up in the office. No ones complained yet and I have asked for long lockers to be installed for the cyclists but apparently a shed and cycle scheme is as far as they will go.

They arent ever going to dry in a plastic bag and i'm not putting wet clothes back on!
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Get a few coat hangers and some of those hangers with clips for short/tights, and maybe one of those clothes rails on wheels - so cheap you could fund it yourself - then all you need to do is find a suitably warm, well ventilated area that's out of the way so as not to offend those delicate little flowers who can't handle the idea of a man in lycra. BTW, I'm fairly sure someone higher up the management chain isn't going to want to be bothered with nonsense like this - permeate? Pfft.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited January 2011
    5 of us share a 2 ft long radiator that is a law unto itself in a leaky 5 foot square shower room, luckily the holes in the ceiling mean we can shove hangers up to let stuff drip dry too

I'm lucky, I have a locker rescued from a skip and have had to put in the gents so its out of the way, I generally smell of febreeze. I've had disapproving looks and tutted H&S mumblings when I've put stuff in the office so I don't even try.

can't complain though it sounds like lots have it worse than me.
  • DonDaddyD
    What I was planning on doing is waiting until the end of the day, when everyone leaves and then putting the radiator in 11 and nuking my clothes that way.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    What I was planning on doing is waiting until the end of the day, when everyone leaves and then putting the radiator in 11 and nuking my clothes that way.

did you wring them out before you bagged em up? and could you hang them over a sink/pan in the bogs to at least drip the worst off them.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:

did you wring them out before you bagged em up? and could you hang them over a sink/pan in the bogs to at least drip the worst off them.
    +1

If you can't leave them out then periodically go and wring them out some more. Bagging is the worst solution but if that's the only option...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Tried this a couple of times at home when the laundry schedule hasn't quite coincided with my need for a pair of socks - doesn't work.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I hang mine in the heated, ventilated drying room my employer so kindly provides.

8)
    Rules are for fools.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Tell her to get a life
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    we've got a large clothes rack so most of the stuff goes there. For shoes and gloves, stuff them with news paper to absorb the water and change every so often. Much quicker than air drying.

Also get some merino for the winter. It doesn't smell so then they can't complain. My Endura Baabaa top is fantastic and doesn't smell even after a week's commuting. Apparently the bacteria that cause the smell can't stick to the fibre's, or something like that.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got access to an empty office where somebody has turned the radiator on :roll: Jacket hangs on a coathanger suspended from the suspended ceiling and other stuff goes on the radiator.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • until 24th Jan I have a spare desk next to me so I use that and the chair as a drying rack...got a heater under my desk so when the desk is occupied there'll be an assortment of coat hangers stuck in the unused screw holes under my own desk....but that's only when I've got drenched, like today....most days when I'm only mildly damp I just hang my clothes over my bike, luckily they're in a locked basement at work and so far nothing's got nicked (not that I'd nick my clothes if I weren't me). after 24th drying drenched clothes will be more of a hassle....mostly because the PC box is under my desk in in line to be dripped on.... no doubt H&S will have something to say about that!!

I have more of a problem drying my towel which can hang over the bike to dry but sometimes isnt' totally dry when I go home so it gets stuffed in my little airless locker and stays damp til the next day. I really couldn't dry my towel in the office
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I'm still wearing my wet tights :lol:

the rest of my kit is hanging on the back of my chair.

this thread has just reminded me I need to email my boss and remind him that if the office move he keeps hinting at takes place they need to find somewhere for us to keep our bikes as I'll be damned if they think I'm locking my tricross up outside every day and it was them who got me to sign up for this 3 year cycle to work scheme in the first place so if there's no bike parking I'll be fitting a turbo t and working at my desk sitting on my bike :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • i have a nice 5 foot radiator to my self. Which has a hot water put under it which my shoes go on. i have never had any body complain yet (even had a few girlies asking me to put it on for them)

what about getting a cheap hair dryer and giving them a blast with that?
  • I hang my (wet/washed) clothes in my fan heated clothes drying cabinet, disguised as (made out of an old) filling cabinet!

Weird but true.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I put a second set of shorts and socks in the bag on the way out this morning.
    exercise.png
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I hang my (wet/washed) clothes in my fan heated clothes drying cabinet, disguised as (made out of an old) filling cabinet!

Weird but true.

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Seriously though, I really like this idea. Maybe I'm odd.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    We have small radiator in the office that gets used to hang wet towels after peoples' showers so there is no where to hang wet clothes if its been raining. I try and use the hand driers in the toilets to dry them out. Take a couple trips every now and then to dry clothes bit by bit.
  • DonDaddyD
    I got a second pair of socks, but I'm getting worried now. These guys haven't gone to lunch so I cannot hatch my elborate plan to dry my clothes...
    m_65a69ef55cfc40d0a5fad8f05c610578.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,165
    I hang them on the bike in the nice warm bike lock up room. Always dry by time I come to wear them again :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've taken over the broom cupboard and have sneaked a fan heater in there this morning to try and dry stuff out. I have had to splash out an an air freshener for it though as it was stinking up the place last week! :oops:
  • I tried to hang kit in the vicinty of the one and only heater on the "locker room" that is unfortunately not a radiator. It says DO NOT COVER - always sensible to put in a heater that burns things it touches in an office I would say.

Any way other "colleagues" objected to the odeur ofdrying clothes in the "locker room" so now I will have to take spare kit for the commute home. I mean what is a locker room meant to smell like? And as most people of equal or junior status to me can change in their own offices (I am in "open plan") it just makes me more madder than I already am. Made even worse when the self same odeur critics say how much they admire me for biking in in all weathers.

Tchah! L'enfer, c'est les autres!

T
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Waterproof trousers on the radiator - jacket on the back of my chair - if they don't like the smell they should give us a drying room
  • davis wrote:
    I hang my (wet/washed) clothes in my fan heated clothes drying cabinet, disguised as (made out of an old) filling cabinet!

Weird but true.

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Seriously though, I really like this idea. Maybe I'm odd.

Here it is, no cycling gear today, drove in!!

Door part open.

5363172613_c4922d4899_z.jpg
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Office busybodies generally stick their nose in and become a pest about this sort of thing and aren't that open to reason. The best the strategy I have found is ot keep stuff out of obvious view so that they either forget about it, or look silly when moaning to others.

Ideas include using radiators behind office furniture, in the gents or hanging under my desk. Also moving book of shelves or cabinets an inch forward so that a hanger can be fed down behind them. I've also used a spare chair so that items drap off the back of it on a hangar, and it in turn is put near the rad.

Another tip is to put everything on hangers so that they look neat (they air better too) whereas dumping gear on radiators stands out.
  • My work has a great drying room, but it is busy.
    I recently bought a cheap pair of 'trainers' to play badmington with Mrs Meanie and the cheap trainers came with a natty wee hanger that now serves to hang socks/shoes/overshoes.

From personal experience: Don't get caught microwaving your SealSkinz!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc