I think I've had a brainwave for wet weather cycling

2»

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cougie wrote:
    Or you can just get waterproof overshoes to go over your cycling shoes ? Cheaper and more versatile.

I have boots similar to that for kayaking - waterproof unless you go too deep.

And I have a wetsuit for IM triathlon - its waterproof apart from the zip and the collars.

stand in a puddle by accident, overshoes have limitations and you have the extra hassle of putting them on all the time
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Or you can just get waterproof overshoes to go over your cycling shoes ? Cheaper and more versatile.

I have boots similar to that for kayaking - waterproof unless you go too deep.

And I have a wetsuit for IM triathlon - its waterproof apart from the zip and the collars.

stand in a puddle by accident, overshoes have limitations and you have the extra hassle of putting them on all the time

Add to that the number of threads we get saying, "My overshoes are rubbish, they break all the time. Which ones should I get this time?", and you're quids in.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    What about a pair of these?

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_boots_neoclassic.html

Divingboots.jpg

As I use toeclips rather than clipless these should be fine and TOTALLY waterproof. With a set of overtrousers the water should run down and over.

My only real concern is how long before the neoprene gets wrecked against the toe straps and if sweaty feet will result. Still, I can get a pair for £35 on the 'bay so I reckon it has to be done.........I'll report back.

Is that trenchfoot I smell?????

:-)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'm thinking about upgrading to the Sidi Diablos cause they look the business and I'm a bit of a brand whore. Anyone got any experience with them? also cheap links would be appr

I have a pair of Sidi Diablos. I got them at about half price (paid about £100 for them from PBK). Overall I'm happy with them, here's a quick list of pros and cons:

Pros:

Comfortable
    Stylish
    Sill look new after 2 winters (after a wipe with a baby wipe)
    Warm even in sub-zero temperatures (but make sure you buy a pair that technically are too big for you to allow your feet to have air around them. Don't buy a snug pair of winter bike shoes.)
    My feet don't sweat in them.
    Good stiff sole

Cons:

The opening where your foot goes in ( ;) ) is MASSIVE, they have a feeling like wearing wellies if you see what I mean?
    They let water in unless you're careful about how you overlap the opening with something. I make sure my tights slightly overlap this bit, the velcro on the outside of the shoe keeps it in place
    Expensive (unless you get them cheap like I did, they're > £210 at most places)

Worth it at £100, but the ones linked to by Diadora look worth a punt at £49.95

Oh and the sailing boots at the start of the thread LOL! Buy a proper set of cycling boots, they'll last you many seasons and will make the saving of thirty quid or whatever it is seem pointless.