I think I've had a brainwave for wet weather cycling

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
What about a pair of these?

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_boots_neoclassic.html

Divingboots.jpg

As I use toeclips rather than clipless these should be fine and TOTALLY waterproof. With a set of overtrousers the water should run down and over.

My only real concern is how long before the neoprene gets wrecked against the toe straps and if sweaty feet will result. Still, I can get a pair for £35 on the 'bay so I reckon it has to be done.........I'll report back.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If they're anything like neoprene gloves, they've be very sweaty.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fishz
    fishz Posts: 20
    I don't think neoprene is waterproof. Dive suits, gloves and booties all work by keeping a layer of water against your body that heats up but doesn't wash away. Maybe an interesting experiment in summer, but don't try going out in those in this weather!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Neoprene is water proof, insulating foam, I use it to protect electronics from condensation under extreme cooling.

Like this
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I have a pair of these for winter/wet stuff:

999_0%5B560x314%5D.jpg

They're really pretty waterproof, as the built-in overshoes have an draw string to keep them tight. They weren't too much more than that to buy, either.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Tried my diving boots in 2009 and if the ones you're looking at are anything like mine then they wont work. The soles are too thin and not rigid enough, the material whilst being waterproof is not windproof, so mine weren't that warm either.
  • Initialised
    I have a pair of these for winter/wet stuff:

999_0%5B560x314%5D.jpg

They're really pretty waterproof, as the built-in overshoes have an draw string to keep them tight. They weren't too much more than that to buy, either.
    Do you have a link to these?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I have a pair of these for winter/wet stuff:

999_0%5B560x314%5D.jpg

Here you go: http://rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/1/710-673 ... dZViewItem
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Dammit 3 bolt , i use spd`s

nvm they do 2 bolt , worth keeping an eye on
    FCN 3/5/9
  • fishz wrote:
    I don't think neoprene is waterproof. Dive suits, gloves and booties all work by keeping a layer of water against your body that heats up but doesn't wash away. Maybe an interesting experiment in summer, but don't try going out in those in this weather!

With my other sport being sailing I spend most of my weekends wearing neoprene - it definitely is not waterproof!
  • fishz wrote:

With my other sport being sailing I spend most of my weekends wearing neoprene - it definitely is not waterproof!

Pictures please....... :wink:
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    fishz wrote:

If you had said you wear rubber i would have read the thread with more interest !
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    fishz wrote:

Sorry but neoprene is waterproof. If it's made into a wetsuit then that is not waterproof because water gets in through the seams and down the neck, up sleaves/legs and through the zip.

If however the same neoprene is made into a drysuit such as the Northern Diver one sat in my loft, the seams are sealed, the boots incorporated into the suit, the neck and wrists have watertight seals and the very expensive zips are waterproof. In that instance I can assure that neoprene is totally waterproof down to 60m+.

The downside is that it is waterproof in both directions so you will sweat badly and then wallow around in it.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got the northwave goretex boots, very waterproof except for the large opening at the top :lol: with over trousers this morning though, very dry. I don't like the closing mechanism on them though(I've broken both drawstring bits and have had to knot them)

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Sidi Diablos cause they look the business and I'm a bit of a brand whore. Anyone got any experience with them? also cheap links would be appr
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Neoprene is water proof, insulating foam, I use it to protect electronics from condensation under extreme cooling.

Like this

BTW, you've got a double-negative in your first bullet point on that linky...
  • The whole is neoprene waterproof or not I think comes down to what kind of neoprene it is. I can't remember the exact terminology, but you can get neoprene with two coverings. One is has a rubbery and water resistant layer/skin on top, and one has a simple fabric (and decidedly not water resistant) skin.

Generally where wetsuits are involved, slick is good because it doesn't soak in the water quite so much, and dries very quickly in the wind, leading to a lack of windchill once you're out of the water. The non-slick stuff stays wet a lot longer, and basically holds the water like a sponge.

However, of the two wetsuits I own only my gigantically warm winter wetsuit is made entirely of the slick stuff (and depending on how well the seals stay sealed, I tend to stay pretty dry underneath it, the seals can't be quite so hardcore as a dive suit incase of epic seal popping wipeout but the zip is one of those hardcore brass types), my spring/summer/autumn one is a mix of the two.

Long story short, it depends on the type. However, yes it does work by trapping a layer of water next to the skin, and no I wouldn't trust it to stay waterproof indefinitely.

Full disclosure: I've spent many many hours wearing these things as a windsurfer/sailor over the years.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • ebt
    ebt Posts: 59
    Neoprene itself IS waterproof, its basically a compound that is "blown" full of bubbles to create an insulating fabric. The linings that are then applied can 'trap' water, but they cant teleport it through the neoprene. Most Neo drysuits are lined, to improve abrasion resistance and they are totally waterproof (you really dont want to tear a hole in your suit in the channel whilst you're attempting to squeeze inside a wreck).

If neoprene itself is leaking, its broken down (happens with age/repeated folding, or it can tear if it catches on something). Also, as Butterd said, you'll get water in via zip gaps, and ankle/wrists, unless you use a dryzip or put a seal on the cuff/ankle/neck/wherever.

Back to the topic, i wouldnt bother with diving boots, but if you really must, make sure you wear socks under them... you can wear skin away by rubbing on lined neoprene repeatedly. It bloody hurts. Oh and your feet will honk from all the sweat you'll be retaining in there (hey, its a good excuse, right?!)

Full disclosure, far too many years diving and repairing suits than I care to mention.
  • Initialised
    Monkeypump wrote:

Like this

BTW, you've got a double-negative in your first bullet point on that linky...
    Not my site, just an example. Maybe I can sue them for all the hardware I fried....
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

999_0%5B560x314%5D.jpg

Here you go: http://rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/1/710-673 ... dZViewItem

Interesting but what the hell is an "anti-tendonitis heel-cup"?? How on earth does that work!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Interesting but what the hell is an "anti-tendonitis heel-cup"?? How on earth does that work!

I have no idea! :lol: My guess would be that the actual shoe bit ( as in not the overshoe bit) has a slightly strange shape around the ankle. It goes up on the inside-side of the ankle, so it's asymmetric. It feels really supportive and comfortable, but I wouldn't buy ordinary shoes that did it, as they'd look odd. But obviously they've hidden it inside the overshoe.

I really like them, but they are quite small for the given size, and are fairly narrow too.

Edit: Actually the heel bit on the outside has a little diagram on and the words, "Ergonomic support", that's probably it.
  • Headhuunter
    Interesting but what the hell is an "anti-tendonitis heel-cup"?? How on earth does that work!

I have no idea! :lol: My guess would be that the actual shoe bit ( as in not the overshoe bit) has a slightly strange shape around the ankle. It goes up on the inside-side of the ankle, so it's asymmetric. It feels really supportive and comfortable, but I wouldn't buy ordinary shoes that did it, as they'd look odd. But obviously they've hidden it inside the overshoe.

I really like them, but they are quite small for the given size, and are fairly narrow too.

Edit: Actually the heel bit on the outside has a little diagram on and the words, "Ergonomic support", that's probably it.

Oh.... I didn't even think cycling caused tendonitis, sounds like they're addressing a problem that doesn't exist. Ah well, as long as they're comfy and keep you dry!
  • Interesting but what the hell is an "anti-tendonitis heel-cup"?? How on earth does that work!

Oh.... I didn't even think cycling caused tendonitis, sounds like they're addressing a problem that doesn't exist. Ah well, as long as they're comfy and keep you dry!

Me neither, at least not in the Achilles, however, according to this:

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/ar ... is-pt1.php

The sports that are most susceptible to Achilles injury include running, walking, cycling, football, basketball and tennis.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FAIL

1264049252-cycling_umbrella_falling_rain_potho.jpg

oouch384s.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Or you can just get waterproof overshoes to go over your cycling shoes ? Cheaper and more versatile.

I have boots similar to that for kayaking - waterproof unless you go too deep.

And I have a wetsuit for IM triathlon - its waterproof apart from the zip and the collars.
  • Headhuunter

Me neither, at least not in the Achilles, however, according to this:

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/ar ... is-pt1.php

The sports that are most susceptible to Achilles injury include running, walking, cycling, football, basketball and tennis.

Interesting.... I'll probably get it now that I know the potential's there....
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526

*PICTURE*

They're really pretty waterproof, as the built-in overshoes have an draw string to keep them tight.

Right, I'm tempted. Just a couple of questions (sorry!)...

How do they cope to a rush of water, let's say the sort of rush you get when you run through a puddle for ten metres or so and usually drench the feet you'd just thought you'd done well to keep dry?

And...I'm a size 10 normal trainer, would the 44's be a reasonable fit?
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    FAIL

oouch384s.jpg

In Japan you could actually buy umbrella bracket things which attached to the bike to hold your umbrella over your head as you cycled in the rain! They were fairly common...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    FAIL

oouch384s.jpg

In Japan you could actually buy umbrella bracket things which attached to the bike to hold your umbrella over your head as you cycled in the rain! They were fairly common...

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lastant wrote:

*PICTURE*

They're really pretty waterproof, as the built-in overshoes have an draw string to keep them tight.

Right, I'm tempted. Just a couple of questions (sorry!)...

How do they cope to a rush of water, let's say the sort of rush you get when you run through a puddle for ten metres or so and usually drench the feet you'd just thought you'd done well to keep dry?

And...I'm a size 10 normal trainer, would the 44's be a reasonable fit?

I run full mudguards on the commuter, the main drenchings I get are going through a too deep puddle at high speed. I've had tights soaked to the skin and my feet are still no more than mildly damp. In fact, I actually think this is more that my feet were a little sweaty and I was really looking out for dampness due to haw wet the rest of me was.

I've never had to put on wet shoes since I bought them. Ever. They don't need to go on the radiator even, they're that dry.

As for the sizing, I'd go bigger. I usually wear a 9 and the 44's are the right length for me.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404

Interesting.... I'll probably get it now that I know the potential's there....

Have suffered from tendonitis in my achilles after a weekend of walking and cycling in Derbyshire. A long walk around Monsal Dale one day, then a ride out to Calke Abbey and Repton the next day. Felt fine until about an hour after the ride, when my achilles started swelling up. Spent the next two days hobbling around like an invalid, and about a fortnight or more having to take it very easy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    To the OP. I have a pair of Oceanic boots very similar to these for scuba diving (mine is without the heavy duty sole), and I think you are wasting your money. They will not keep out the water and I also think you will sweat a lot in them and finally they will definitely not be windproof which could make you feet cold on longer rides.

Having said that they will make for an excellent pair of diving boots if you do a lot of shore based diving!! :D