why are so many "cyclists" such woosies about the

13»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OK so what I got from the OP.

No direct insult to any one single individual.

A guy who rides his bike at any given opportunity and generally avoids driving unless he has to. Good thing, no?

A detest, lack of tollerance and/or lack of understanding of those who fly high the cycling badge but at the sight of anything slightly uncomfortable, like rain, winter, traffic will avoid riding their bikes. There are many on here who have demonstrated less tollerance for things (W1).

I don't think that warrants the insults.

In fact the premise (to a lot lesser extant), if not the delivery I'm inclined to agree with the OP. My car is a novelty at the moment.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I ride my bike 15 miles each way in all weathers. Last February I didn't miss a day. In December the Marathon Winter studded tyres arrived from Germany and I missed one day of commuting as the snow was too deep, the rest of the time over snow and ice I went in

But the last week has been worse for me. It's been raining constantly in Devon and although I am enjoying the rides, drying out kit is a real chore. It's cold and wet and horrible, plus riding on the huge Marathon Winters is much more exhausting

So, whilst I am still riding in as near to 100% of the time that I can, I can also really see why a lot of people don't bother. Winter commuting isn't all fun
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There is a certain degree of masochist about winter commuting...

I'm looking at all of you.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For commuting, if I need to get there, I'll cycle.

Doesn't mean I remotely like cycling in the cold or rain.

It's only out of childhood habbit that I automatically go for the bike.

I'd never go out for fun or training in sh!t weather.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    vorsprung wrote:
    I ride my bike 15 miles each way in all weathers. Last February I didn't miss a day. In December the Marathon Winter studded tyres arrived from Germany and I missed one day of commuting as the snow was too deep, the rest of the time over snow and ice I went in

But the last week has been worse for me. It's been raining constantly in Devon and although I am enjoying the rides, drying out kit is a real chore. It's cold and wet and horrible, plus riding on the huge Marathon Winters is much more exhausting

So, whilst I am still riding in as near to 100% of the time that I can, I can also really see why a lot of people don't bother. Winter commuting isn't all fun

yeah the photo in the op with the panniers has the marathon winters on it. those tyres are hapipiest on sheer black ice and hard pack snow, where handling is like a nowmal tyre on a wet road pretty much. With about 15 kilos of nothing in the ortleibs, handlind is better! slush is a nightmare. im back on my sabbath now. bike 24 for the spikers? good website!

The one thing i learnt about rain last wintr was that when you ride out in rain its never as bad as it llooks from yer bedroom window. and if you have on kit that keeps you warm when wet( ive given up with waterprooofs!) youll be fine (roubaix and windtex)).
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why is everyone being so mean in this thread?

mainly I think (looking back on it again) my OP came accross as superior , pompuous and a little toooo opinionated. I think it kind of stroked some people's fur backwards. I expected a little character assasination actually, but the intention was to spark a discussion.

I came to a point last winter (before i spent a fortune on a nice road bike!) where I said to myself " am I a cyclist or not?" and I had to say yes. for me that meant gritting my teeth and taking the annual risks and adversities "in the round" and riding all year round every day. To be honest, I am a little insecure in thinking that if i woose out more than one day on the trot, it will be the start of some sort or decline back to the car. And the benefits to me personally in terms of my physical appearance ( I look like a totally ripped Adonis now compared to before, even if i do say so myself), and my overall energy levels and my psychological attitude to all areas of my life; nothing in my life has changed me like cycling has and I don't want to let it go!