why are so many "cyclists" such woosies about the

wyadvd
wyadvd Posts: 590
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Honestly MTFU,
I cycle rain snow wind frost fog 15miles there and back (30 mile rt) and I LOVE it every time. regardless of the weather, I literally cannot wait to get out of the door and on my bike. My only excuses are practical, operational reasons for needing to use the mobile lemming cage (like for instance needing to provide a medical on call service with a 20 minute response time 30 miles away, or my wife is sick so i have to drop the toddler off to nursery), and I will wriggle around for days thinking of crafty ways to get outof driving the damn thing (ashamed as I am to even own one tbh)
I have colleagues who display the badge of cycling to work at every opportunity, but when you quiz them ...... oh if I have a 12 hour day I don't, cos Im scared of the dark, oh if its forcast to rain anytime in the next 24hrs I don't , and if it feels a bit windy mmmm winge winge whine whine, oh i cant do that route cos its not "traffic free"..... They end up riding about 3 times a month.. oh dear what is wrong with you people???? Either you are a cyclist or you aint!!

Rant over

ice biking photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1P ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DP ... directlink

videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlbx16tPo0

(taken on my way back from ashford (24 miles) the night after the heaviest snowfall in kent)

recent 15 mile commute(started 2 miles out !) on my sabbath;

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/m8pIWGIZWWQ

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Well, aren't you special.

Get a life.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    You might want to have a word with your employer; it seems they're asking you to average 90mph...
    Rules are for fools.
  • wyadvd
    Special is probably the word actually! thanks!
  • wyadvd
    and sorry to say but cycling is the best thing in my life, next to family.

I am trying to work out whether I have some sort of addiction. If Im off the bike for more that 2 days , I get very irritable and not very nice to live with, and I need a nap at work to get me through the day.

Its a good addiction though.

And as a matter of fact I wasn't trying to point out how special I was, but how pathetic some other people are. I'm pretty ordinary, just obsessed with how great cycling makes me feel.
  • Why are some people pathetic just because they don't get as irritable as you when you haven't been on your bike for a couple of days?
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • wyadvd
    Why are some people pathetic just because they don't get as irritable as you when you haven't been on your bike for a couple of days?

I was talking about the main thrust of my point, that in my humble opinion, there are a large number of people who claim to cycle to work, but who in fact look for excuses to wimp out at every opportunity. Speaking from a personal perspective, I don't understand it because I gain immense pleasure from every single ride I do. You just have to get out the door and on the bike and forget about the weather!
  • wyadvd
    Im deliberately trying to provoke a discussion on this, provoke being the operative.
  • wyadvd
    silver pigeon, couldnt agree more:

PostPosted Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 amReply with quote Report Post
    My favourite cycling moment is that bit, a few seconds in, when you first set off and get settled on the saddle. Even better when it's early morning or you when you really had to make yourself get out and ride.
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    Brilliant thread, it's Frday night and everyone's pissed!
  • wyadvd
    im actually on call at the moment and will need to drive at 90mph to help unblock someones coronaries soon! so im sober at the mo!
  • wyadvd wrote:
    silver pigeon, couldnt agree more:

PostPosted Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 amReply with quote Report Post
    My favourite cycling moment is that bit, a few seconds in, when you first set off and get settled on the saddle. Even better when it's early morning or you when you really had to make yourself get out and ride.

Wow! Seriously? Going to the trouble of looking through my previous posts? Seems that cycling isn't the only thing you're obsessive about.

See earlier post by Monkeypump
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    The ice biking looks more like snow biking to me. If you take a road bike on ice you will probably come off.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    edited January 2011
    wyadvd wrote:
    Honestly MTFU,
    I cycle rain snow wind frost fog 15miles there and back (30 mile rt) and I LOVE it every time. regardless of the weather, I literally cannot wait to get out of the door and on my bike. My only excuses are practical, operational reasons for needing to use the mobile lemming cage (like for instance needing to provide a medical on call service with a 20 minute response time 30 miles away, or my wife is sick so i have to drop the toddler off to nursery), and I will wriggle around for days thinking of crafty ways to get outof driving the damn thing (ashamed as I am to even own one tbh)
    I have colleagues who display the badge of cycling to work at every opportunity, but when you quiz them ...... oh if I have a 12 hour day I don't, cos Im scared of the dark, oh if its forcast to rain anytime in the next 24hrs I don't , and if it feels a bit windy mmmm winge winge whine whine, oh i cant do that route cos its not "traffic free"..... They end up riding about 3 times a month.. oh dear what is wrong with you people???? Either you are a cyclist or you aint!!

Rant over

ice biking photos:

videos:

(taken on my way back from ashford (24 miles) the night after the heaviest snowfall in kent)

Were you drunk when you wrote this :wink:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • wyadvd
    v tired and peed off
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I cycle for fun.

I am not a masochist.

I am a woose.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    yawn
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've cycled in everything the Highlands has to offer from a weather point of view but don't mind (or care) what other people do. I actually prefer having the roads and paths to myself - crossing the bridge (a mile effectively) in the summer is a pain as it's very narrow and there's people walking with iPods who don't hear your bell or shouts, other, much slower, cyclists simply unaware and groups of touring cyclists coming the other way. To keep my rides interesting, I time myself (summer obviously being the fastest) and all this traffic, right at the end of my ride, screws it up. That and the bike sheds at work are packed.

OP sounds like you have an exercise addiction (similar response to some exercise instructors I know)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Sounds fine to me.

Keep it up ;-)

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • OK your blue peter badge is in the post :lol:
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    You're job must really suck if you have to come online and make threads like this to get your kicks.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    wyadvd wrote:
    Im deliberately trying to provoke a discussion on this, provoke being the operative.

How long have you been riding for?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    wyadvd wrote:
    Honestly MTFU,

Rant over

ice biking photos:

videos:

The profile says you're 44, aren't you a bit old to be trolling?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    uh - why is everyone getting so aggro over this?

Yeah people wimp out in the rain. Kinda makes sense for a lot of people not to get soaked. Well done for sticking on the bike, it'll do you good.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I woke up this morning half an hour before I went to bed. After shaking the broken glass out of my brown paper sleeping bag I got onto my 150Kg utility bike, loaded the back with sacks of manure and started off on my daily 150 mile round trip to work as a volunteer at the North Wales sheep collective.

It was only drizzling this morning so I was a bit pissed off TBH
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    wyadvd wrote:
    My only excuses are practical, operational reasons for needing to use the mobile lemming cage (like for instance needing to provide a medical on call service with a 20 minute response time 30 miles away, or my wife is sick so i have to drop the toddler off to nursery

All excuses are equal

Many on here would scoff on the lame notion that dropping a child to nursery is somehow a reason not to cycle commute

Not me however, I'm a card carrying fair weather commuter
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I cycle for enjoyment. Not to make some sort of life/societal statement.

I quite enjoy riding in the rain. I tend to draw the line at snow and sheet ice that seems to form on the side roads I use to get home.

Part of the enjoyment is knowing that I'm safe.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH wrote:
    I woke up this morning half an hour before I went to bed. After shaking the broken glass out of my brown paper sleeping bag I got onto my 150Kg utility bike, loaded the back with sacks of manure and started off on my daily 150 mile round trip to work as a volunteer at the North Wales sheep collective.

It was only drizzling this morning so I was a bit pissed off TBH

Pah! A sleeping bag! I slept in shoebox in the middle of the road....
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I quite enjoy riding in the rain. I tend to draw the line at snow and sheet ice that seems to form on the side roads I use to get home.

Part of the enjoyment is knowing that I'm safe.

+ 1

Just what I was going to write as I read down the thread, you beat me to it.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I cycle to work every day - admittedly only 10 miles a day but I don't have any choice - I gave up my (free) parking permit 2 years ago - I don't consider what makes a 'real' cyclist - some of my colleagues don't cycle in every day for whatever reason - its up to them - cycling is not compulsary
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    ThisThreadSucks_B.jpg