Immutable Cycling Truths

2»

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The last song you hear on the wireless before setting off will stick in your skull for 3/4 of your commute.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The Germans have a word for this that translates literally as 'ear-worm'
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    SimonAH wrote:
    You always see the very best deals on 'end of line' wines in Co-Op when you're heading home on a Friday and you've got your laptop in your bag - ergo no room for wine. I've just cycled five (ish) miles with two carrier bags tied together at the handles slung over my neck like bloody panniers on a donkey.

But for the Magnificent Wine Company and their awsome 'Steak House Red' at under a fiver a bottle I'd happily ride naked round Bristol town centre.

Magnificent Wine Company? Where is that? Just googled it to no avail. Or am I being gullible?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The day you elect to ride without gloves (for the first time in 18 months) will be the ride when you come off (for the first time in 18 months) and land palms-first at ~20mph.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Nifer wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    You always see the very best deals on 'end of line' wines in Co-Op when you're heading home on a Friday and you've got your laptop in your bag - ergo no room for wine. I've just cycled five (ish) miles with two carrier bags tied together at the handles slung over my neck like bloody panniers on a donkey.

But for the Magnificent Wine Company and their awsome 'Steak House Red' at under a fiver a bottle I'd happily ride naked round Bristol town centre.

Magnificent Wine Company? Where is that? Just googled it to no avail. Or am I being gullible?

I swear not, fabulous Californian plonk
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • You get yourself a nice steak and suitable bottle of plonk to wash it down with then lose your appetite at the sight of a naked cyclist :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • SimonAH wrote:

the British have a word for this too, it literally translates as ear-worm :wink:

Shaun Keavney on 6 Music breakfast ran/runs(?) an ear worm slot where people can call in to infect the rest of us with their current one
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:

the British have a word for this too, it literally translates as ear-worm :wink:

Shaun Keavney on 6 Music breakfast ran/runs(?) an ear worm slot where people can call in to infect the rest of us with their current one

I started a thread on earworms a while back. My current earworm is Happy Feet by Kermit The Frog. Yes, it is on an advert at the mo, but I have it on The Muppet Album 2 (on vinyl).
    How cool am I?!

Weary blues,
    can't get in to our shoes,
    Because our shoes refuse,
    to ever grow weary...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    DesWeller wrote:
    The day you elect to ride without gloves (for the first time in 18 months) will be the ride when you come off (for the first time in 18 months) and land palms-first at ~20mph.
    +3 skined my knuckles last time I forgot the gloves.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Weary blues,
    can't get in to our shoes,
    Because our shoes refuse,
    to ever grow weary...

I grow cheerful
    From an earful
    Of music sweet
    Coz I've got hap-hap-happy feet!

*Not googled*
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    DesWeller wrote:
    +3 skined my knuckles last time I forgot the gloves.

I never ride without gloves now. It seems to be too much for Murphy to resist. I can imagine him rubbing his hands with glee as he prepares to put down a patch of diesel on some corner that I won't reach for 30 miles (thus ensuring a 30 mile return ride of holding the bars with my fingertips due to the lack of skin on my palms).

Not that I'm paranoid or owt like that.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I started a thread on earworms a while back. My current earworm is Happy Feet by Kermit The Frog. Yes, it is on an advert at the mo, but I have it on The Muppet Album 2 (on vinyl).
    How cool am I?!

There was a Muppet Album 2?? The first music I owned was the Muppet Album. I'm going ot have to search for that now...