Bloody Snow

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
3" of snow this morning which I don't mind - except somewhere on my 15-mile commute in the dark, my Garmin fell off. I expect I'd normally hear it go as it clattered along the road but in fresh snow it probably just went pouf!. And, given I was generally riding in vehicle tracks, even if I do find it by luck, it'll be smashed into a zillion pieces. Oh well - that one lasted almost a year to the day. They're getting cheaper though!
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've just taken my snow tyres off and re-fitted the Top Contacts. I will be most unhappy if there's snow within the next week....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sorry to hear that mrs
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's just rain half way down Scotland. At least until it hits the ground, then it seems to be turning to ice. Makes crossing the car park very interesting :evil:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Was an inch of snow on side roads this morning, turning to slush as I hit Garscube Road. Had the Night Vision waterproofs on, so was perfectly dry. Still on MTB, but think tomorrow will be back to the Tricross.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • meanredspider
    It's up to 5C here so, depending upon night temps, I might be on the road bike tomorrow and certainly by Friday judging by the forecast. Wind has seemingly turned nicely to give me a shove home. It was a bit of a grind in this morning - normally sub-1 hour on the MTB but nearer 1.5 hours (lost Garmin - don't know.. :-( this morning through the snow and ice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    What it's only 1.5C here (near Falkirk) :evil:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I've just taken my snow tyres off and re-fitted the Top Contacts. I will be most unhappy if there's snow within the next week....

Probably a bit premature there. I realise that you are a fair bit down south but surely there is a chance of snow well into February. Last time I was in the Peak District, 28th March 2009 it was -8 :shock:

No, I don't have that good a memory. :wink: My photos are named & arranged by date & time.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    daviesee wrote:

Probably a bit premature there. I realise that you are a fair bit down south but surely there is a chance of snow well into February. Last time I was in the Peak District, 28th March 2009 it was -8 :shock:

No, I don't have that good a memory. :wink: My photos are named & arranged by date & time.

Nah - doesn't take long to swap tyres and the lessened effort when cycling is WAY worth it.

12 miles on nobblies is not my idea of fun, at least not when I have semi-slicks available :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Doh!

My mind was still on a lot of people switching their cars to winter tyres. Not so easy :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    daviesee wrote:

I remember that night well, because my son's cub group were camping and I was a parent helper, also camping.

2-sleeping bags each.
  • meanredspider
    daviesee wrote:
    Doh!

My mind was still on a lot of people switching their cars to winter tyres. Not so easy :wink:

Spare wheels/tyres, racing jack and air wrench, and it's probably not too different in time!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    O lordy soz to hear about the garmin.

I'm paranoid about mine coming off during a rapid descent :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Thanks. I searched for it on my way home - but 15 miles of dark country lanes lined with snow was never going to be easy. The snow plough had certainly been through in places too...Need to take the car tomorrow but will look again on Friday though I suspect it's pointless
  • Kieran_Burns
    12.5 degrees at 7:30 this morning!!! :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    11 degrees here this morning, its bloody tropical in the office.
  • meanredspider
    Rain on top of snow & ice here & 3C. Good day not to be cycling...
  • suzyb
    It's lovely further south, well lovely compared to the recent weather. So the office car park has finally defrosted.
  • meanredspider
    FOUND THE GARMIN!

It's wrecked (I'll post a picture). Fell off about 2 miles into my ride.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    FOUND THE GARMIN!

Was just thinking as I walked out into balmy South London today, 'I wonder if the snow's melted around his way yet?'.

Kind of congratulations I guess. Worth getting in touch with Garmin, they offer some sort of deal on re-furbs as far as I'm aware...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    is it in one piece?

garmin replace with a refurb for £100 if necessary
  • meanredspider
    Here it is

garmin.jpg

The screen is wrecked and the case has split at the join as well as cracked. It was in snow so I can be sure the internals are wrecked. Amazon has them for 107GBP right now
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    what bit of it failed? am worried mine might fall off now :(
    Hat + Beard
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Get in touch with Garmin customer services. They offer an 'out of warranty' replacement service for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I've replaced my Edge 205 twice now, last time cost me £50. I suspect that your forerunner would be similar! Doesn't matter what condition it's in. They say the replacement is a reconditioned unit, but if that's true it's indistinguishable from a new one and comes with a 1 year guarantee.
  • meanredspider
    hatbeard wrote:
    what bit of it failed? am worried mine might fall off now :(

I assume it was the bike mount that it clips into. The pins on the watch itself are still in place.
  • meanredspider
    rhext wrote:
    Get in touch with Garmin customer services. .

Cool - worth a shot - is it a UK site? Do you have a link or contact details? thx!
  • rhext
    product.support@garmin.com

They do have a UK office. I got through to them by going onto their web site and using the 'contact us' feature. Unusually for a large international they get back to you pretty quickly and the service is actually very good!
  • meanredspider
    rhext wrote:

They do have a UK office. I got through to them by going onto their web site and using the 'contact us' feature. Unusually for a large international they get back to you pretty quickly and the service is actually very good!

Brilliant - thanks so much!
  • rhext
    Good luck. Riding my bike without the Garmin feels like driving a car without a speedo - unnatural somehow!
  • suzyb
    FOUND THE GARMIN!
    :D
  • meanredspider
    rhext wrote:

So I tried them but heard nothing back so have just bitten the bullet and ordered a new one from Amazon.

Had more snow yesterday - getting a bit bored of it. The snow from December hasn't melted at the peak of my route at any time. At least I'm getting value from my Ice Spiker Pros - already 200 miles on them with a few months to go before the temperatures are reliably above freezing at night.